At festival, undercover member of the DS seized my stuff, what happens next?

If he gets convicted with intent I'll eat my PC. Its not what the Gardai think that matters It's what a judge will think.

Listen,its not the end of the world so dont panic.
You may or may not get a summons,tbh the cops have way more to be worrying about than people with 50 quids worth of smoke.
Dont dare approach a solicitor untill you get a court date(IMO unlikely to happen).
If you do,try to bring about 150 quid in cash with you and offer to make a payment into the court poorbox.This will mean that you'll be dealt with under the probation of offenders act and you can walk free.
If you have no previous convictions,you'll
probably get the probation act anyway.
Most judges would be unwilling to impose a criminal conviction on an ordianry Joe for a bit of smoke.
I wouldnt worry about it,but just be more carefull about smoking in public.

they will throw enough mud hoping at least a bit will stick. Enough to pass spliffs is in gards opinion enough to "supply"!

Rubbish.Intent to supply is a very serious charge.
In order to prove it they need to be able to prove it was more than the defendent could smoke or ingest in a reasonable time.
50 quid will get half an ounce of hash or a medium bag of weed,its a piffling amount and they would be aware of this.
IF he had half an ounce cut up into ten-euro deals THEN they could say he intended to sell it.

Listen,its not the end of the world so dont panic.
You may or may not get a summons,tbh the cops have way more to be worrying about than people with 50 quids worth of smoke.
Dont dare approach a solicitor untill you get a court date(IMO unlikely to happen).
If you do,try to bring about 150 quid in cash with you and offer to make a payment into the court poorbox.This will mean that you'll be dealt with under the probation of offenders act and you can walk free.
If you have no previous convictions,you'll
probably get the probation act anyway.
Most judges would be unwilling to impose a criminal conviction on an ordianry Joe for a bit of smoke.
I wouldnt worry about it,but just be more carefull about smoking in public.
You would not want to be before Portlaoise District Court on a possession charge. They have a special kind of justice in the Midlands.
Persons attending the electric picnic would be well advised to be aware of this.

You would not want to be before Portlaoise District Court on a possession charge. They have a special kind of justice in the Midlands.

Regardless,the penalties are laid down in law,the penalties depend on whether it was summery conviction or conviction by indictment.Also the amounts involved and previous convictions if any.If you get a bad dose of "summary" justice you can lodge grounds for appeal and perhaps have any conviction overturned.

Jaysus some of you civilians really don't have a clue. 50 quid is enough for one person for a day or two. I have friends who have been lifted at concerts and just got cautions on the spot. Especially when they plead that they need to travel with their jobs. We all work for a big american company with drug tests on entry ha ha.
I wouldn't worry about it. Like someone said if you get a good local solictor he will know judges and guards and may be able to advise you. Other than that you are in lap of gods.

I was doing alot worse at picnic but was a bit more careful. They give out giant skin packets in the goody bags handed out so its a bit rich picking people up for j's. I'd say you were blatantly doing it and it irritated them.

depends on what is put into the skins, tobacco is not yet illegal so not aiding and abetting

One of the best things about the guards is that they are relatively immune to individuals pleading their case so everyone gets the same treatment.
Vanilla I'm LOL at this. OP I imagine they confiscated so many drugs that day that they won't be bothered issuing summons', it was more a show of strength and a warning. If they do issue a summons do not represent yourself (this is not a trivial matter), a good solicitor will be worth his weight in gold.

Hey Guys,

I just thought I'd give yis an up-date on my situation.

I got my Court Summons in this morning.

Now I got a new problem. Both surname and address is wrong.

Errors would be a 13 in stead of 3 with regards that address and the name was another surname altogher that sounds like my surname, for example, they called me Mr X Mongan instead of Mr X Mahon. (Neither of the 2 examples are my real name or the name that appeared on the summons)

The address is one thing that can be ammended in court on the day, but what about the wrong name? Has lady luck thought me a lesson or do I still need to get my suit drycleaned?

The summons is for me the post man delivered (registered post) to the proper address regardless of the wrong name and address. My Mum signed for it. Cudda killed her!! Had to tell her it was concert tickets being delivered!!!! Lying to my mother, I deserve the book of the law being thrown at me!

Has any one of ye been in the same boat as me, wrong name and stuff on the summons, what happened in the end? Please share your experiences?

****Edit, in case ye were wondering, I'm being done for Possesion of a Controlled Substance and NOT Intent to supply, Thank God

Wong name, wrong address....if you get prosecuted as a result of that summons, then so could I !

No chance of possesion with intent, If he only had a 50 bag.

DavyJones......you are wrong about the dealer advice.
If he possesses more than he could use "immediately and personally" which is the interpretation followed by the courts based on the legislation, ( i.e. Sec 15 M.D.A. 1977) then he is regarded by construction of law as a dealer.

But he should do absolutely nothing until he hears further and hopefully he will not.

Usually the Judge will allow the case to proceed if there is a minor typo in the summons, if the recipient did receive it and it is clear that it can only be them.

If the summons is very wrong, there is always the possibility that the Gardai will investigate, get the correct details and re-issue the summons with the correct details. So does not necessarily eliminate the possibility of conviction.

Unless it is a felony, they must reissue within 6 months of the alleged offence. As they are prosecuting by way of a summons in the district court it is not a felony.
It it was a felony they would go for the circuit court, and there is no time limit there.

Alright lads, spent the day looking up soliciors in the area, as I'm not from Naas, I didn't know which solicitors to look out for.

Been checking out local papers for court reports and looking up solicitors that do the "Criminal" sorta stuff, they all seem to be Property & Conveyancing, Family Law and Wills & Probate sorta stuff.

Have picked out 4 practises. So I'm gonna give them a ring in the morning and I'll keep ye posted.

The few people I've told about this reckon that it'll be thrown out as it's a wrong name and not just a typo, but I'm waiting till after the court case to think about that, I'm cautious by nature!

What sorta questions should I be asking them?

No chance of possesion with intent, If he only had a 50 bag.

DavyJones......you are wrong about the dealer advice.
If he possesses more than he could use "immediately and personally" which is the interpretation followed by the courts based on the legislation, ( i.e. Sec 15 M.D.A. 1977) then he is regarded by construction of law as a dealer.

But he should do absolutely nothing until he hears further and hopefully he will not.

I beg to differ.
I said no chance of a possesion with intent charge and I was right. He has received his summons, albeit to the wrong name and address. Nice one, the reefer gods are smiling down on OP.

The summons is for me the post man delivered (registered post) to the proper address regardless of the wrong name and address. My Mum signed for it.
Mammy shouldn't be letting you out to concerts on your own. It's a good thing the guards found the gear before she did!

Get a solicitor on the job. (You could ask a solicitor you know/is recommended to put you in contact with a solicitor in the naas court area.)

Assuming you have no previous convictions, I wouldn't worry too much - if you're convicted. Penalties vary from judge to judge though.

How did the postman get the letter to you with a wrong name and address?

Back