At festival, undercover member of the DS seized my stuff, what happens next?

K

Keek

Hello folks,

A lil help would be really appreciated. I was at a festival over the weekend, enjoying festival life, I was smoking a Joint. An undercover member of the DS came over to me, He seized my stuff. He said that if I just gave it to him nothing more would be done, no trips to the station or searches etc. I did everything asked, gave my details etc.

He sized about €50 worth of stock, just smoke nothing else, and said that I should expect a court summons in the post. But not to worry to much about it "Standard Stuff", the details from there on in were vague.

What happens next, is this summons delivered to my door by lads in a squad car or through the post as normal. What is the usual procedure in these cases, simple fine to be paid in the court office and end of story or do I need to get my suit dry cleaned?

i appreciate that ye do not have all the details, but just a few words on what to expect, and what's the norm in cases in simular to this would really put me at ease, it the not knowing what's goin on that worries me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Re: Court Summons....festival life!

Get your suit dry-cleaned.

Depending on the judge / court area you are in, expect to be fined and / or make a voluntary contribution to a registered charity and / or be instructed to attend a drug and alcohol awareness programme.

A word of warning - on criminal conviction for a drug-related offence, it most certainly is not end of story. Your future travel plans may be limited and you will be denied entry to certain countries including the USA and you may find future career options closed off to you.

I have no idea how court summonses are delivered.

As mathepac said, your travel plans can be limited, so once you get the summons, get a solicitor.

As for delivery, it could be the gardai calling up, but I was summoned before (Road Traffic) and it was delivered by registered post.

Would it not be a good idea to consult with a solicitor NOW just in case? Rather than waiting until a summons is served?

An undercover member of the DS came over to me, He seized my stuff. He said that if I just gave it to him nothing more would be done, no trips to the station or searches etc. I did everything asked, gave my details etc.

LOL. Did he show you his 'badge'? I might be a bit cynical but don't hold your breath for the summons...

Exact thing happeed to me years ago with my mates. From hazy ;-) memory of the time we saw a badge, or what looked like a badge to us at time :)

We were never served a summons.

Legal experience aside but more "hands on experience", I would be very surprised if anything came of it.

I know you have given only basic details but something about this doesn't add up. "He was an undercover member of the DS". Did he show you any ID, badge, number and you gave him all your details!!!
Maybe this situation is not quiet as you appear to think it is

this happened a friend of mine and he had attend a drug and alcohol awareness programme

I know you have given only basic details but something about this doesn't add up. "He was an undercover member of the DS". Did he show you any ID, badge, number and you gave him all your details!!!
Maybe this situation is not quiet as you appear to think it is
Or as Vanilla and superdrog put it earlier...

LOL. Did he show you his 'badge'? I might be a bit cynical but don't hold your breath for the summons...

Exactly my thinking Vanilla , you were probably duped.

ha ha!! dying to hear how this one pans out. This is a typical festival joke. Never fails!!!

Maybe the original poster should report the alleged theft to the Gardaí? :D

DS always work in pairs.

Yup there was two of them, both with valid badge in a wallet, a seperate Garda ID. And their wrist bands were Staff/Arena official bands, not just a regular camping/concert bands. They were the real deal. His Walkie Talkie fell outta his pocket when he was gettin his note book, It had a garda logo on the back of it.

The Garda pretty much told me in not so many words to ignore it. Obviously he can't say ignore it but he did say that the summons would only be sent once, they don't bother sending a 2nd time and gave a sly wink!!

Been told that when I get the summons, I can just go to the court office and pay the fine, and nothing would go down on the record, anybody care to shed some light?

Yup there was two of them, both with valid badge in a wallet, a seperate Garda ID. And their wrist bands were Staff/Arena official bands, not just a regular camping/concert bands. They were the real deal. His Walkie Talkie fell outta his pocket when he was gettin his note book, It had a garda logo on the back of it.

The Garda pretty much told me in not so many words to ignore it. Obviously he can't say ignore it but he did say that the summons would only be sent once, they don't bother sending a 2nd time and gave a sly wink!!

Been told that when I get the summons, I can just go to the court office and pay the fine, and nothing would go down on the record, anybody care to shed some light?

Defo shades then!
Are you sure you can assume so much from his demenour, after all you were probably stoned :D. Seriously, I think you have nothing to worry about. You won't have a "record" because of this.

They often tell people that there will be no summons and then out of the blue 6 months later a summons lands on the doormat. That's how they operate.

Time to seek legal advice.

nothin much will happen,if its first offence more than likely you'll be handed an average fine.150 to 250 quid.told to behave yourself and that'll be it.

Back