At festival, undercover member of the DS seized my stuff, what happens next?

Re: Court Summons....festival life!

Yup there was two of them, both with valid badge in a wallet, a seperate Garda ID. And their wrist bands were Staff/Arena official bands, not just a regular camping/concert bands. They were the real deal. His Walkie Talkie fell outta his pocket when he was gettin his note book, It had a garda logo on the back of it.

The Garda pretty much told me in not so many words to ignore it. Obviously he can't say ignore it but he did say that the summons would only be sent once, they don't bother sending a 2nd time and gave a sly wink!!

Been told that when I get the summons, I can just go to the court office and pay the fine, and nothing would go down on the record, anybody care to shed some light?
Mustn't have been very good gear if you smoked it and still noticed all of those details. They probably did you a favour by taking it off you so.

If it really was the gardai, then you don't need to consult a solicitor now- all they will tell you to do is wait for the summons. At the court hearing, if it was a first offence, you have a chance that if your solicitor pleads on your behalf you will get the probation act which is a kind of first chance- it doesnt show as a criminal record and you won't have a problem travelling. But you really do need a solicitor to plead on your behalf to get this kind of verdict.

Before the summons arrives I've known people to plead their case directly to the guards and try to get them to let you off without a summons, I've never seen anyone succeed. Indeed sometimes it seems that if you do this in a case where they might not have bothered they definitely will. Justice must be done and be seen to be done and all that. One of the best things about the guards is that they are relatively immune to individuals pleading their case so everyone gets the same treatment.

One of the best things about the guards is that they are relatively immune to individuals pleading their case so everyone gets the same treatment.

Including themselves? :confused:

You know the saying,... if you believe that, you'll believe anything... :)

Mustn't have been very good gear if you smoked it and still noticed all of those details.
Next time they might use a bong and get better value for money.

this happened to a friend of mine and he said: you'll get a summons by registered post in roughly 6 months time. postman will knock at the door - so if no-one there to sign your name......
if the letter is received, you'll have a court date alright - but you don't have to hire a solicitor - you can represent yourself. but if you are getting one, get one based in the town near where the festival was. you'll probably get a fine and have to do a drugs awareness course and you'll more than likely get the probation act (not a record).

nothin much will happen,if its first offence more than likely you'll be handed an average fine.150 to 250 quid.told to behave yourself and that'll be it.
And you wont be doing your Christmas shopping in NewYork next year!!!:eek:

Not if they get the probation act - and as it was a relativley small amount i'd say that's what will happen. Once he gets a solicitor and dry cleans the suit

Followed by years of grief when trying to enter the USA and various other nations.

Thats a bit morbid isnt it? Perhaps the OP has no interest in travelling to the US - plenty of people never do. Youre not missing much!

Also - the chances of him getting a drugs offence record and prevented from travelling are tiny! He will probably hear nothing or else just get the probation act.

He sized about €50 worth of stock,

"Stock" indicates that the OP may be a dealer rather than a casual user, so maybe premature to assume will be probation. Would need to know what exact charges will be brought and whether the Gardai caught OP dealing.

That is the oldest Garda trick in the book "Give me it now and that'll be it"

Summons for 1) possesion
AND 2) possesion with intent to supply.

then again it is unlikey they were guards, I have never know gards to have vendor wristbands, and I know a lot of people who bring cuffs, torches, pens and notepads and take advantage of kids at these festivals.

Learn from your mistakes!

That is the oldest Garda trick in the book "Give me it now and that'll be it"

Summons for 1) possesion
AND 2) possesion with intent to supply.

then again it is unlikey they were guards, I have never know gards to have vendor wristbands, and I know a lot of people who bring cuffs, torches, pens and notepads and take advantage of kids at these festivals.

Learn from your mistakes!

No chance of possesion with intent, If he only had a 50 bag.
Also the word for weed,grass, doob,smoke,gear,stock etc changes yearly.it is no way indicates the OP is a dealer, certainly not with the amount involved. I'm not really down with the street talk anymore;)

Also the word for weed,grass, doob,smoke,gear,stock etc changes yearly.it is no way indicates the OP is a dealer, certainly not with the amount involved. I'm not really down with the street talk anymore;)

Id agree with that DavyJones, 50 euro worth of "stock" is only enough for one person (passing the spliffs round etc..) for a weekend at a festival. Its not enough to be part of a supply chain.

A criminal conviction does not automatically preclude entry to the USA. The question asked when visiting the US is :
"Have you ever been arrested or convicted for an offense or crime involving moral turpitude or a violation related to a controlled substance; or been arrested or convicted for two or more offenses for which the aggregate sentence to confinement was five years or more; or been controlled substance trafficker; or are you seeking entry to engage in criminal or immoral activities?"

Therefore, it depends entirely on whether the offence constituted "moral turpitude" i.e. fraud, larceny or an intent to harm persons or things. Some interesting examples: wilful tax evasion is a crime of moral turpitude but drunk or reckless driving or disorderly conduct is not; sodomy is but involuntary manslaughter is not. As far as I can gather controlled substance (including marijuana) is an offence that would preclude entry to the US other than by way of Visa.

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86942.pdf

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Moral_turpitude

http://www.state.gov/documents/organization/86945.pdf (re controlled substance convictions incl marijuana)

I would make sure you had legal representation as soon as you receive a summons. Myself and 2 friends were in the same situation several years ago. Out of the 3 of us only 1 got a summons, he turned up in court expecting a fine but the Nass court isn't that lenient and he recevied a record. He then had to get a solicitor go back to court and appeal to get the record overturned and it cost him 10k in fines + solicitor fees so be warned.

they will throw enough mud hoping at least a bit will stick. Enough to pass spliffs is in gards opinion enough to "supply"!

Back