Any rumours will they tax landlords less than current full tax rate?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Well, today's Business Post reports as follows:

Tánaiste Leo Varadkar said that the government would examine “what we can do to reduce the speed at which landlords are leaving the sector” in the coming months. “I know it may not be popular to say so, but the truth is more and more landlords every day are just selling up and have decided that it’s easier to sell their property than to continue to rent it and we just need to reflect on that and see what we can do to improve things,” he said.

Which is most likely would you think? I think lpt as tax deductible and pre letting expenses are easy token gestures by government but will do nothing to stem the flow of landlords exiting.

I think the 20% tax rate on rental income would be a game changer myself.

20% off your total net rental tax perhaps, those on 20% marginal tax would not benefit otherwise.
As in “20% goes to 0%” as opposed to “20% goes to 16%”?

The marginal rate going from 52% to 44% (i.e. 20% of 40%) wouldn’t be enough in my view.

A 20% rate would though, maybe even a 30% rate.

That's interesting.

I thought the proposals were pretty modest but I would be interested to know what stood out for you.
1. I pay full rate so end up about 50% so if that was a flat rate of 20% then that is huge savings,

2. CGT Relief EG(4 per cent per annum)=20% relief when selling house for a profit

3.This medium-term measure would allow a tax deduction against rental income for an element of the capital cost of a property in the initial years of ownership of a residential rental unit, with a corresponding reduction in the base cost of the property on a future disposal for Capital Gains Tax (CGT) purposes.

We’ll see what measures if any are brought in, there has been so many charges and changes in rental taxation over the last20 years than chapters in the tax code. Landlords need certainty and for an indefinite period of time

I thought the proposals were pretty modest but I would be interested to know what stood out for you.
I agree. The TSG paper makes clear that most potential policy changes wouldn't be material to most landlords. LPT deductibility, CGT exemptions, being able to offset rental losses against non-rental income, etc, aren't going to move the needle much.

The TSG paper takes the view that rental profits are income like any other. And that a separate tax regime for rental income would be a major structural change that can't be justified.

I think that there will be changes for landlords in the Budget, but mainly cosmetic.

Last edited:
I agree. The TSG paper makes clear that most potential policy changes wouldn't be material to most landlords. LPT deductibility, CGT exemptions, being able to offset rental losses against non-rental income, etc, aren't going to move the needle much.

The TSG paper takes the view that rental profits are income like any other. And that a separate tax regime for rental income would be a major structural change that can't be justified.

I think that there will be changes for landlords in the Budget, but mainly cosmetic.
If so, I think we will be looking at selling up by year end. The government need to make a change via the budget otherwise the exodus will continue and the problem get worse.

Irish Times reports the following pre-Budget discussions today:

For landlords, a 2017 paper on tax treatment has now been “dusted down” and sources say a range of options are being considered, including allowing the local property tax to be deducted from rental income as an expense and allowing a relief from capital gains tax after a property is bought with a tenant in place and retained as a rental property for five years.
I don't think these changes would make a material difference to anyone deciding to enter or exit the landlord business.

I don't think these changes would make a material difference to anyone deciding to enter or exit the landlord business
Of course they wouldn't, those possible changes are trivial.

If your income can only rise by 2% per annum and your costs are rising by 10% per annum, it doesn't take a genius to work out that is not a viable long-term business.

Tweaking the tax code won't stem the exodus.

While it is dispiriting to see 50% of the profit going in tax that is not the issue for me or I suspect most landlords.

International comparisons show that the cost of renting in Ireland is very high, the cost of buying housing (and so what a landlord selling can expect) is not as excessive.

No landlord, I suspect is getting out because they can't make a profit.

The issue is regulation and the pitfalls of the RTB. In short it takes a long time to evict a non-paying tenant, and there is a fear that there will be restrictions on the freedom to sell.

For once its not all about money.

While it is dispiriting to see 50% of the profit going in tax that is not the issue for me or I suspect most landlords.

International comparisons show that the cost of renting in Ireland is very high, the cost of buying housing (and so what a landlord selling can expect) is not as excessive.

The issue is regulation and the pitfalls of the RTB. In short it takes a long time to evict a non-paying tenant, and there is a fear that there will be restrictions on the freedom to sell.

150% agreed

And it's also why so few are entering the market..

There's been very good arguments been put forward by many members on this site in relation to how other assets (equities) should be treated from a tax perspective (dividends and potential gains).... Why should rentals be treated any different from equities? As far as I can see no landlord is in it for altruistic reasons! They are in for pure profit with the tenant paying their mortgage while the landlord pockets the gains...

As far as I can see no landlord is in it for altruistic reasons! They are in for pure profit with the tenant paying their mortgage while the landlord pockets the gains...
An apt example of the sort of borderline-aggressive sentiment that continues to motivate landlords to get out of the rental business altogether.

When they start talking of you as if you're a criminal, it's only a matter of time before they come for you and your property.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back