Any provisional drivers caught yet?

Probably, uptight drivers are normally the most dangerous.

hmmmmmm...that comment has all the marks of a personal attack - perhaps you should read the posting guidelines slaphead? you dont strengthen your argument by insulting other posters......

hmmmmmm...that comment has all the marks of a personal attack - perhaps you should read the posting guidelines slaphead? you dont strengthen your argument by insulting other posters......

Not a personal attack, referring to all such drivers.

I have tried cycling, and to great success, as in I'm still alive. But that is besides the point. The fact is that this law is being enforced now. It was to be enforced last december however there was a big kick up about test waiting times so they employed more testers and got the waiting time down to 7 weeks at most and yet again we have people kicking up, if it was put back to a year, 2 years or more there would be people kicking up a stink even after that length of time. 6 months is more than enough time to pass a test or make alternitive arrangements for travel if they fail. I drive for a living and see learner drivers on their own sometimes with kids in the car with no clue how to drive. You can't differentiate between learners who just can't pass a test because of nerves or an off day and learners who just can't drive safely and this is the only solution. Until a driver passes a test they can't drive alone. SIMPLE

I used to love cycling to work, far prefer it to driving, but i wouldnt fancy it in this country.

I used to love cycling to work, far prefer it to driving, but i wouldnt fancy it in this country.

It looks like the real problem here is with the country, what restrictions do we have with cycling?

It looks like the real problem here is with the country, what restrictions do we have with cycling?

No bicycle paths, generally unsafe to go on a road here on a bike. A lot of its due to the fact that bikes are so rare you dont expect them. The town i lived in before was a student town, bikes whizzing around everywhere but you knew what it was like and expected them so it was rarely a problem. If i worked in the town i live i'd definitely take the bike however. As it is i have a 60 mile commute, maybe reduced to 15 in 6 months or so.

No bicycle paths, generally unsafe to go on a road here on a bike. A lot of its due to the fact that bikes are so rare you dont expect them. The town i lived in before was a student town, bikes whizzing around everywhere but you knew what it was like and expected them so it was rarely a problem. If i worked in the town i live i'd definitely take the bike however. As it is i have a 60 mile commute, maybe reduced to 15 in 6 months or so.

Not to mention the rotten drivers. :)

Well that to, a lot of roads on this country arnt wide enough for 2 cars and a bike.

This is actually true.
I sometimes drive and sometimes cycle.
Cycling is a nightmare in this country. The majority of drivers assume the road is only for them and constantly block me off and I don't know how many times I've nearly been killed by driver's making sudden left turns etc.
It would be great if everyone could cycle to work even once ever just to see what it's like. Manners would improve ten-fold.

Hassellhoff, 27 cases? Really now that's amazing. How many provisional drivers are there? 300,000 and to think 27 cases were brought to court last year, I'm stunned!

Your poor niece would be well advised to take no notice of you. 'Ask the insurance company for a letter!!' As if they'd ever do anything like that.

Hassellhoff, 27 cases? Really now that's amazing. How many provisional drivers are there? 300,000 and to think 27 cases were brought to court last year, I'm stunned!.
A bit unfortunate if you were one of the 27 cases however surely? (presumably having paid for insurance, but now being stuck with a personal liability for payment of costs incurred/damages etc)

I park my car every day , not on the test.... it's been many years since I passed my test and I haven't reversed around a corner since the day of the test...

I actually use this skill several times every day.....mainly for parking my car (for both parallel parking & reversing into regular spots) & reversing into my driveway. Because I guarentee if you can't do the simplier monoveur of reversing around a corner, you won't have a hope of parallel parking.

I actually use this skill several times every day.....mainly for parking my car (for both parallel parking & reversing into regular spots) & reversing into my driveway. Because I guarentee if you can't do the simplier monoveur of reversing around a corner, you won't have a hope of parallel parking.

It's interesting to note how many people drive into their driveway and reverse out. It's both safer and easier I think to reverse in. ( and theres some legal thing about reversing out onto a main road anyway ) My wife got into the habit too and from the start I instructed my son to do same. It becomes so second nature that you easily do it on mirrors alone.

It's interesting also that parallel parking is not a driving test item. It's probably the most used parking manoeuvre too.

It's both safer and easier I think to reverse in. ( and theres some legal thing about reversing out onto a main road anyway )

Yes, but how many people live on a main road? I also think you're overstating the safety aspect.

Yes, but how many people live on a main road? I also think you're overstating the safety aspect.
Well...lots of people do actually.
I see people reversing out of driveways on the way to work, on to main roads, every day.
Very unsafe.
The reason they do it I guess is because it is quite hard to manage to reverse into a driveway from main road traffic, in rush hour (when they are travelling home from work presumably).
Nicola

I also think you're overstating the safety aspect.
Regardless, even if it is only 5% of the population, it is still a very unsafe thing to do.
Also illegal: "You must not reverse from a minor road onto a major road as it is unsafe to do so"(RSA.ie)
Nicola

Not that many as a % of the entire population.

Even if its only a tiny percentage doing the actual reversing onto main roads they are affecting a much larger percentage of road users who are using the main roads that are being reversed onto!

Doesn't matter if you live on a main road or not, much safer & easier to reverse in and drive out. Your vision of the road & potential hazzards is far better.

It's also much easier to get into a parking space by reversing.

I'd advise any learner driver to do this all of the time & then they will have no difficulty doing their "reverse around the corner".

I understand what you're saying and this is why the government did a total u-turn 6-8 months ago whenever it was - learner drivers have had that long to get off their arses and learn how to drive - this did NOT sneak up on anyone did it? Surely to goodness 6-8 months is more than enough time to apply and pass a test isnt it?

You would think that wouldnt you, but some of us have been waiting longer than that. I applied last july, got date for 1st july this year and then it was cancelled due to tester being sick so where does that leave me . new test date is end august, thats over a year waiting.

Back