Any provisional drivers caught yet?

Slaphead - do you think it is acceptable that certified incompotent drivers (who have been tested - and failed) are allowed to continue driving on our public roads. This law is not unfair - it is common sense. Surely the testing system has to mean something. How do people who can't afford a car or are under 17 get by? They have to make alternative arrangements. I agree public transport is nowhere near where it should be, but this doesn't give us the right to ignore the safety of the general public (and a person who has failed an exam for compotence in driving must be some danger).

I agree, the law is fair and common sense, the law isnt the problem. Very few ppl in this country cant afford a car and u17's usually have parents to drive them and their travel needs are rarely as pressing or as frequent as a working 18yr old.

How is an 18 yr old who just did his leaving and lives at home and just got a new job in a shop 20 miles a way going to get to work every day? Mammy works 20 miles the other direction, theirs no bus? Simple, he'll have to stay at home, draw the dole.

Until such a time as other options are available then the law should never have been changed. I presume a "right to transport" or something is pretty high up on most people's list of rights.

Can you imagine being single and living in the country, what do you do until you get your licence? Walk from A to B? Bearing in mind the roads arnt even suitable for walkers!

My solution to this whole mess would be to allow a period of dispention, allow ppl apply for the right to drive unaccompanied to nearest town, within a 20 mile radius of home etc. Also crack down extra hard on them for speeding etc. In 20 yrs time the law might suit Ireland, but not at the moment. Like i said i lived with it in Sweden for 11 yrs, the law is fine, just not suitable for here.

What if you are under the current driving age and living in the country - do they also have a right to public transport and because its not there have the right to drive?

In 20 years there will still be no public transport to all rural areas - this would be completely unfeasible. Younger people will grow up knowing they need a car - they need to get provisional - take lessons - become a compodent driver - do test - after passing test - then use car - become dependent etc....

Slaphead, I agree with you totally about the lack of public transport and poor quality of service we do have, but quite simply anyone who fails a few tests cannot be deemed to be a safe driver regardless of what they need the car for. Any moron can get into a car and make it go, and at such a speed that it kills or seriously injures someone and cause grief for so many people as a result. And I’m not getting on my high horse, I bought a car at 17 and drove it around on a provisional, however I passed my test on my second attempt at 18, and after 2 crashes (minor, rear ending stuff). Looking back I was sorry that the current clamp down was not in place then as it would have saved me financially as I paid up to avoid higher premiums. The fact remains that no learner driver should be driving without a competent fully licensed driver. Learner driver have more minor bumps and near misses that are not recorded statistically as they are just “settled” mutually between the 2 parties.

I was mid twenties and had a kid before i got my licence in sweden, before that i never drove unacompanied, it was unthinkable. But it wasnt a problem as i still could get around. You just cant survive in this country without a car like you can in other countries. Until such a time as you can laws like this are plain unworkable.
I know a lad at work, foreign chap who has failed his test a few times and now has to drive illegaly the 50 mile trip to work. What other option does he have? There is no bus, we cant car pool as we all finnish different times and irregular shifts, weekends, nights etc.

I agree, the law is fair and common sense, the law isnt the problem. Very few ppl in this country cant afford a car and u17's usually have parents to drive them and their travel needs are rarely as pressing or as frequent as a working 18yr old.

How is an 18 yr old who just did his leaving and lives at home and just got a new job in a shop 20 miles a way going to get to work every day? Mammy works 20 miles the other direction, theirs no bus? Simple, he'll have to stay at home, draw the dole.

Or live nearer his/her job - as an alternative. Jobs don't always come to people, some people go to the jobs

Quote: I know a lad at work, foreign chap who has failed his test a few times and now has to drive illegaly the 50 mile trip to work. What other option does he have? There is no bus, we cant car pool as we all finnish different times and irregular shifts, weekends, nights etc.

He could also live closer to his job.

Last edited:
Until such a time as other options are available then the law should never have been changed.

The law wasn't changed, as far as I'm aware. It has just started to be enforced. So the law was always there, drivers without a full licence were driving unlawfully for years and presumably knew so.

Surely there has to be some element of individual responsibility? Why did such drivers not apply for their tests? Did they intend on driving without a full licence indefinitely?

Surely there has to be some element of individual responsibility? Why did such drivers not apply for their tests? Did they intend on driving without a full licence indefinitely?

Most ppl have done it, but failed, sometimes unfairly.
My bro passed his first time, he will admit himself that he's a brutal driver then and still is, doesnt know how he passed it.

Or live nearer his/her job - as an alternative. Jobs don't always come to people, some people go to the jobs

Quote: I know a lad at work, foreign chap who has failed his test a few times and now has to drive illegaly the 50 mile trip to work. What other option does he have? There is no bus, we cant car pool as we all finnish different times and irregular shifts, weekends, nights etc.

He could also live closer to his job.

He's making arrangements to do so, but he's got 5 kids and bought a house where he is and in the current climate it will take him a while to sell it. He's putting in overtime to cover the €1000 fine if and when it comes!

Could they not rent for a couple of months. I can't break the laws and endanger people just because it suits me. Other people can't either.

If that's the choice and the pay isnt great the chances are that the individual could opt to stay at home and draw the dole, easier and they'd probably earn on it.
Not a great result is it?

If the car is sitting there - would this not suggest that they are not driving unnaccomonied
Correct, the inference has been that L Plate drivers would just remove plates and continue driving, not in this case.

He's making arrangements to do so, but he's got 5 kids and bought a house where he is and in the current climate it will take him a while to sell it. He's putting in overtime to cover the €1000 fine if and when it comes!

Could he not use the €1000 he is saving to pay for rent, pay for taxi's to take him to public transport - bus, train etc

To be honest, i dont see this thread progressing much further. There are people on both sides of the fence and it seems that we can't see each other!
Ho hum....

Posters seem to be complaining because they're not allowed to break the law any more! This country is crazy!

And someone asked a good question earlier and I'm not sure if it was answered. What do people do when they can't afford a car? How do they manage? Maybe they should be allowed to steal a car then because there's no public transport and they need it to get to work. We could ask the Gardai not to enforce the whole "theft" thing.

I await the backlash... ;0)

Could he not use the €1000 he is saving to pay for rent, pay for taxi's to take him to public transport - bus, train etc

Yes he could, but he has a big family and likes to see them occasionally, and he can hardly afford a 2nd home!

6 months hasnt been enough for him, he moved down 2 or 3 yrs ago, failed his test several times since.

failed his test several times since.

This means he has been deemed unqualified to drive!!!!! Where is the argument??? He's proven to a tester "several times" that he is unfit to drive. Geez people....

Posters seem to be complaining because they're not allowed to break the law any more! This country is crazy!

And someone asked a good question earlier and I'm not sure if it was answered. What do people do when they can't afford a car? How do they manage? Maybe they should be allowed to steal a car then because there's no public transport and they need it to get to work. We could ask the Gardai not to enforce the whole "theft" thing.

I await the backlash... ;0)

I agree with comment - posters appear to want to be able to break rule based on circumstance.

However as mentioned already post thread is probably not going to advance any further. We're just debating circumstance now.

Back