Any provisional drivers caught yet?

I think he was only counting responses (not the oringinal post), and not including his own response as it didn't exist at the time...

In many countries, provisional licenses don't even exist and no one is legally permitted to operate a vehicle without having passed series of driving tests (theory and practice).

For example, in some of the European countries, it is mandatory to pass not only Rules of the Road and medical to qualify for driving lessons. Nobody can take a test unless they have 40 hours driving tuition with a state certified instructor. This also costs in the region of €1,500.

However, it's been like that for decades and the system works. I know that some of you will object to such strict driver instruction and licensing but please bear in mind that the motor vehicle is one of the most dangerous weapons known to man.

Personally I agree with the provisional drivers crack-down. I think that only a small percentage of provisional license holders genuinely didn't get around to doing their test and the majority are taking the p!ss. How can we be safe on the roads if they are crowded with people who technically haven't got a clue what they are doing???

if you look at the stats you will see that only a very small number of road accidents involve L drivers.....most crashes ect... are caused by us so called"experinced"drivers.

if you look at the stats you will see that only a very small number of road accidents involve L drivers.....most crashes ect... are caused by us so called"experinced"drivers.

If such L drivers are this good at driving (as this statement suggests) then they have little to worry about as they will pass their tests with flying colours.

ps and will then turn into the poor driver category (again from the above statement)!!

Its also important how you intepret statistics - what stsat are these mentioned above. Is it the number of crashes in a given period of time? If so you would always expect the L drivers to have a significantly lower number because of the fact there are fewer L drivers than fully licensed drivers on the road - i.e. 100,000 L drivers versus ?? (millions) of fully licensed.

If such statistics were to be more accurate (and maybe the one above is) they should should have the percentage of accidents per number in that grouping used.

For argument sake if there are (in one year):

100,000 L drivers
1,000,000 fully licensed drivers

1,000 L driver accidents
5,000 fully licensed accidents

This would entail - 1% accident rate for L drivers, 0.5% for fully licensed drivers.

Depending on how this information was presented would give different pictures!!

How many times does it have to be pointed out to people that there are far fewer learner drivers in the country? Compare like with like.

I actually use this skill several times every day.....mainly for parking my car (for both parallel parking & reversing into regular spots) & reversing into my driveway. Because I guarentee if you can't do the simplier monoveur of reversing around a corner, you won't have a hope of parallel parking.

Well said Sam! What a lot of drivers (learner and non-learner) don't seem to realise is that the test's "reverse around a corner" maneouvre is supposed to demonstrate that the candidate can control the car while reversing and show the correct observance. How many times do we have to hear the nonsensical comment: "the reverse maneouvre is stupid, I've never done this since I passed my test!". Wake up people! :rolleyes:

the figures don't matter surely. The law is there (no going back), time to stop pontificating and deal with it!

the figures don't matter surely. The law is there (no going back), time to stop pontificating and deal with it!

I would still be interested to find out the figures. Nnd not just with respect to L drivers but in total.

Hoping that starlite68 provides us with them or where I can get them.

This one seems to come up in all threads about learner drivers, so it'd be nice to put it to rest once and for all, either way.

Agreed. It doesn't have the ring of truth about it.

There's also the fact that a lot of people who possess provisional licences don't ever get behind the wheel of a car.

hands up anyone who now has a full licence that drove unaccompanied on first provisional?

Back