Any provisional drivers caught yet?

I come from the north and it was the norm to get your full license straight away when your turned 17, and we had to live with having a fully qualified driver with us at all times (No insurance and you were guaranteed to get stop in the old days). There are no more alternative options in the north than in the south with regards to public transport for rural locations.

It is mentality thing here that you have the right to drive as soon as you are the legal age. After the threaten clampdown 6 months ago, I had to push my wife to take the test as she believed that it would be enforced. She failed the first time and passed the second time in the last six months. She was capable of doing the test twice in this time so people had the option of getting it done in time.

smythyRe: Any provisional drivers caught yet?
Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisLaLoope http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=659771#post659771
This provisional thing drives me nuts (no pun intended!!).

I could understand the uproar six months ago when the clamp down was first suggested. Provisional drivers should never have been allowed to drive on their own, but the Gardai turned a blind eye for years so the public had a legitimate expectation that that would continue. But these drivers were given six months as some breathing space. Get it together!

Yes we were given six months to "get it together" but you obviously dont understand the full application process. Ok so when you decide i need to start driving, first there is the waiting to get an appointment for the theory test which i did, providing you pass this then you must send away for your provisional licence which uses more time and THEN you must wait 6 MONTHS b4 you can even apply to do your driving test which is a vital piece of information some people here are forgetting!!! i sent away and got my provisional in febuary which means i cant do my test until august! So how do you suggest i get to and from work for the next month!!! Its not like i go "spinning" i need to drive soley for work! Is there anyone here would like to get up at 7 every morning and accompany me.... i dont think so!! I think its ridculous and im one of the people who now have to dread driving to work for fear of a fine which is probably more then a few weeks wages!!

There should defo be exceptions made, obviously i agree with taking young reckless unaccompanied provisional drivers off the road but thats as far as i agree with it!

Angry girl in Mayo,18

Smythy, how did you get to work before you applied for your provisional licence in Feb? Surely you didn't take a new job that requires you to drive without having even taken one lesson (you can't have had lessons if you had no learner permit) and given the new rules that you knew were coming in to effect. I think it is good that people should have at least 6 months lessons/practice under their belt before they can sit a test. I know that I for one took longer than 6 months on the road to feel really competent and so although I had a car I just went out practicing with my Dad for months. To be honest I would say that I and most of my friends would have been a bit of a liability when we first hit the open road (couple of accidents to prove it). I also felt a lot of pressure as in 'oh you have a car why aren't you driving to work yet etc' amazing how everyone you speak to took to driving like a duck to water, passed first time etc. I think its better new learners won't have that pressure now. While I definitely feel for the people on provisionals who are affected by this (I know some really competent drivers, driving years, just nervous wrecks being tested) at least it is now much quicker now to get a test.

It's just impracticle in this country and all those on their high horses thinking this is great should try a month or even a week without a car and get back to us.

I really, really do sympathise with the situation these drivers are in. I would hate it if it were me. I have to rely on public transport to get to and from work as I don't have a parking space (I know, poor me...) and it's erratic and undependable. But how can people argue that they should be allowed to drive unaccompanied if they haven't passed their test?! I just don't get it!

And regarding the six month notice, were provisional drivers not already making efforts before this to get their theory tests or apply to sit their driving tests, even with the long waiting lists?

Other posters have said it - the system had to change and it's just unfortunate for all those adversely affected right now. But you have to admit that it couldn't continue?

You are, of course, joking about this. I hope.

I dunno - it would be interesting to see the stats.
I work in a brokers office and I could count on 1 hand the amount of provisional driver involved claims Ive had this year - and I deal with a couple a day overall.

And as for the arguement that there are fewer than them - this is correct of course but there are still a huge number on the road - and I dont see the figure being comparable. (i.e. I see it favouring the side of the provisional)

I really, really do sympathise with the situation these drivers are in. I would hate it if it were me. I have to rely on public transport to get to and from work as I don't have a parking space (I know, poor me...) and it's erratic and undependable. But how can people argue that they should be allowed to drive unaccompanied if they haven't passed their test?! I just don't get it!

And regarding the six month notice, were provisional drivers not already making efforts before this to get their theory tests or apply to sit their driving tests, even with the long waiting lists?

Other posters have said it - the system had to change and it's just unfortunate for all those adversely affected right now. But you have to admit that it couldn't continue?

Six months notice isnt enough, like i said had public transport been adequate i would have had no qualms. I got my licence in sweden and survived there for 5 yrs no problem without a licence. You cant get by here without a car, well not outside Dublin at least which means any 18yr old who learns to drive at 18, fails a few tests, etc is stranded until their early 20's. Simply not feasible in this country at the moment.

It's a fine law, just not for here, not at the moment.

All provisisional licence holders CANNOT drive unless they have a full licence holder in the car with them..... THere is no exception on what provisional licence you are on...

There should defo be exceptions made, obviously i agree with taking young reckless unaccompanied provisional drivers off the road but thats as far as i agree with it!

Angry girl in Mayo,18

I think you’re on to something here, if only there could be some kind of test to determine if somebody is a reckless driver

Six months notice isnt enough, like i said had public transport been adequate i would have had no qualms. I got my licence in sweden and survived there for 5 yrs no problem without a licence. You cant get by here without a car, well not outside Dublin at least which means any 18yr old who learns to drive at 18, fails a few tests, etc is stranded until their early 20's. Simply not feasible in this country at the moment.

It's a fine law, just not for here, not at the moment.

So, because Ireland has let us down regarding public transport, we should be allowed to drive unlawfully?

Last Oct Bank Hol Friday when this was announced I was on my first provisional licence and had applied for my test the previous June. Like many others I went into meltdown when the announcement was made and breathed a great sigh of relief when we got until 30th June 2008 to sort out our affairs. (I know it only applied to second provisional drivers but the heat was off all of us in reality). I hounded the RSA for a test date, spend money on pre-tests and practiced with anyone who would come out with me. I passed my test last January but if I hadn't I would have applied immediately for a second test and had a letter from employer to speed it up, I imagine I could even have had time for a third test if I had to re-sit. My point is that we were told we were off the road, we got ample time to sort it out and from what I read in the press, many people just ignored it - for those that did ignore, I have no sympathy.

Last Oct Bank Hol Friday when this was announced I was on my first provisional licence and had applied for my test the previous June. Like many others I went into meltdown when the announcement was made and breathed a great sigh of relief when we got until 30th June 2008 to sort out our affairs. (I know it only applied to second provisional drivers but the heat was off all of us in reality). I hounded the RSA for a test date, spend money on pre-tests and practiced with anyone who would come out with me. I passed my test last January but if I hadn't I would have applied immediately for a second test and had a letter from employer to speed it up, I imagine I could even have had time for a third test if I had to re-sit. My point is that we were told we were off the road, we got ample time to sort it out and from what I read in the press, many people just ignored it - for those that did ignore, I have no sympathy.

... i.e. I'm all right Jack...

Would you expect us to have sympathy for you had you failed your test(s) - as 40% of the people in your position have done since last October.

No I wouldn't at all and I think you are missing the point - my lack of sympathy extends to those who buried their heads in the sands and thought this would go away, they had plenty of time to be tested.

... i.e. I'm all right Jack...

Would you expect us to have sympathy for you had you failed your test(s) - as 40% of the people in your position have done since last October.

I don't think that's what Wrappo was trying to say. I think s/he is referring to people who didn't actively try to get their stuff sorted. And if people did organise their things in time and failed their test (however unfortunate), perhaps they shouldn't be driving unaccompanied...?

I think s/he is referring to people who didn't actively try to get their stuff sorted

That's where my sympathy ends too. I commented on this months ago and got attacked for it. There are plenty of L drivers on their umpteenth provisionals, happily driving away, making absolutely no attempt to address their obvious shortcomings, deliberately missing tests, never taking lessons etc.

I have zero sympathy for these people.

I noticed a car parked up where I live, they were diving on L Plates, car is now sitting here during day time. Looks like some people didn't just remove the L Plates and continue driving.

I've said it before and ill say it again, this new law is unfair in Ireland as there arnt other options available to a vast majority of ppl.
I've a full licence and lived 11 yrs in Sweden where this law has been in force longer than anyone can remember but the difference there is that there are other options. I used to get up in the morning and decide how to travel depending on my mood, bike, train, bus, car or a combination of the above! I could go weeks without driving. Since i moved back last summer i've barely had a full 24hrs without driving.

It's just impracticle in this country and all those on their high horses thinking this is great should try a month or even a week without a car and get back to us.

Slaphead - do you think it is acceptable that certified incompotent drivers (who have been tested - and failed) are allowed to continue driving on our public roads. This law is not unfair - it is common sense. Surely the testing system has to mean something. How do people who can't afford a car or are under 17 get by? They have to make alternative arrangements. I agree public transport is nowhere near where it should be, but this doesn't give us the right to ignore the safety of the general public (and a person who has failed an exam for compotence in driving must be some danger).

So, because Ireland has let us down regarding public transport, we should be allowed to drive unlawfully?

Until such a time as other options are available then the law should never have been changed. I presume a "right to transport" or something is pretty high up on most people's list of rights.

Can you imagine being single and living in the country, what do you do until you get your licence? Walk from A to B? Bearing in mind the roads arnt even suitable for walkers!

My solution to this whole mess would be to allow a period of dispention, allow ppl apply for the right to drive unaccompanied to nearest town, within a 20 mile radius of home etc. Also crack down extra hard on them for speeding etc. In 20 yrs time the law might suit Ireland, but not at the moment. Like i said i lived with it in Sweden for 11 yrs, the law is fine, just not suitable for here.

I noticed a car parked up where I live, they were diving on L Plates, car is now sitting here during day time. Looks like some people didn't just remove the L Plates and continue driving.

If the car is sitting there - would this not suggest that they are not driving unnaccomonied

Back