Any good movies out at the moment?

What about No Country For Old Men then?

Best film I've seen in ages and a real return to form for the Coen brothers.

Atmospheric, well photographed, well cast and acted - excellent!

It was very violent and there was a huge Body Count though ( how many in the first few minutes alone) and that puts me off! I thought it was tense, atmospheric and compelling but I felt I needed a stiff drink after and would find it hard to recommend it to anyone of a nervous disposition. Mind you, I don't think you can be a Coen fan if you are of a nervous disposition!

mf

I saw "I Am Legend" the other day and it was *really* disappointing.

It's hard to say how poor it was, but it never gripped me at all. I kept waiting for him to get really involved, but it never happened.

The second last scene (in the lab) was really poor - why didn't he just turn on the lights ?

It was interesting to hear the "There is no God . . ." line in a big flick like this. I reckoned once we had this line there was a 90/10 chance of yer man having a revelation before the end of the film.

z

I saw "I Am Legend" the other day and it was *really* disappointing.

It's hard to say how poor it was, but it never gripped me at all. I kept waiting for him to get really involved, but it never happened.

The second last scene (in the lab) was really poor - why didn't he just turn on the lights ?

It was interesting to hear the "There is no God . . ." line in a big flick like this. I reckoned once we had this line there was a 90/10 chance of yer man having a revelation before the end of the film.

z

SPOILER ALEERT.

Well (non-natural) lights dont really bother them? The big beam lights outside the house had no effect? I will admit the girl/God thing didnt really work for me. Too many questions unanswered - it lost it a bit for me from the point where she joined.

But earlier in the movie the scene at night time where he was curled up in the bath with the dog and gun and the howling outside - was so good - very scary and sad at the same time.

no country for old men is certainly not happy feel good movie but thought it was excellent. it will not put you in a good mood so be warned.

“Heroes never die . . . they just reload.”

Sounds like we might have a good candidate for the list of worst films of '08 even though it's only January!

Rambo!

Check out the Rambo death chart. Must be a lot of riddlin' with an average of 2.5 people killed per minute: easily surpassing the kill rate of all previous Rambos. (The kill rate with his shirt off thankfully has collapsed to zero).

I spoke to a friend in Florida who saw Rambo, he also spent 12 years in the US army, two tours in Iraq, and he said that the violence was very realistic and very disturbing for that. He said the gunshot wounds, particularly from large calibre weapons, was totally realistic.

Don't go and see it if you have a weak stomach.

no country for old men is certainly not happy feel good movie but thought it was excellent. it will not put you in a good mood so be warned.

I would agree, but, it is the best adaptation of a Cormac McCarthy novel I have seen and the script doesn't stray that much. Tommy Lee Jones was so good that we went to see him In The Valley Of Ellah last night. It's a different type of film. It's basically an insight into how modern warfare (Iraq in this case) scars the young lads who enlist and the families left behind differently than any war in the past, except maybe 'Nam. The script has it's weaknesses, but, Tommy Lee Jones's performance holds it all together. Charlize Theron is good on screen. Susan Sarandon is very good as usual, but, is underused. Josh Brolin has a minor part. Good background shots of New Mexico. It's worth a look too.

I saw I am Legend last night.
I like Will Smith but I thought his performance came a distant second to a german shepherd!

It gets an ok from me- Not a bad movie and certainly not a great movie.

I wonder was the valley of Ellah and no country shot at the same time, It appears to have alot of the same cast in the same location for both movies.

Saw 'Disturbia' on DVD tonight, it's not as great as I had expected from the trailer, but it's watchable. David Morse is such an underrated actor (he's the baddie in this).

The recent passing of Heath Ledger has seen a rise in sales of his movies (always the case when an actor dies). 'The Sin Eater' and 'Brokeback Mountain' are fantastic movies from him and well worth watching. He's also the Joker in the new Batman out this summer.

DVD not cinema, but I saw Deathproof over the weekend.

Have to say I thought it was a hoot - I'm not exactly a loyal Tarantino fan but loved both Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown.

Deathproof has all the Tarantino hallmarks - some knowing and tricksy directorial flourishes, great dialogue, occasional shocking violence, humour, a cameo from the man himself and of course - a good soundtrack.

Saw Once too which was quite touching and natural. Surprised at the amount of music (even though it was good music IMO) - stay away if you're not a fan of Glen Hansard.

I thought No Country for Old Men was great. It held my attention all the way through. Compelling viewing!! I haven't seen most of the others mentioned above but I will now. This is a great thread, saves me having to read the reviews!!

I have to agree about No Country for Old Men. Excellent film and an excellent book.
I'm a big Cormac McCarthy fan, highly recommend his novels, as long as you are not
looking to be cheered up. No Country for Old Men is not one of his best, but a slightly weaker novel from CMcC is still better than most novels written.

Hi Mickey,
I would start with the trilogy if I were you - All the pretty horses ( rubbish movie, great book), The Crossing and Cities of the Plain.
His latest, The Road, is easily his best, but not cheery, at all.
His earlier work Blood Meridian etc are very powerful but a tough read.

www.cormacmccarthy.com is the website of the Cormac McCarthy Sociaety - lots of reviews etc.

DVD not cinema, but I saw Deathproof over the weekend.

Have to say I thought it was a hoot - I'm not exactly a loyal Tarantino fan but loved both Pulp Fiction and Jackie Brown.

Deathproof has all the Tarantino hallmarks - some knowing and tricksy directorial flourishes, great dialogue, occasional shocking violence, humour, a cameo from the man himself and of course - a good soundtrack.

Saw Once too which was quite touching and natural. Surprised at the amount of music (even though it was good music IMO) - stay away if you're not a fan of Glen Hansard.
thought Deathproof started off okay but the dialogue in the second half was awful, embarrassing even, the soundtrack was great but not worth getting out.
once was great, really enjoyed that

It's basically an insight into how modern warfare (Iraq in this case) scars the young lads who enlist and the families left behind differently than any war in the past, except maybe 'Nam.

I wonder is this true.......don't know any WW1 or WW2, Civil War, War of Independence vets - or even vets on either/any side of the Troubles.......
My point being, is any war ever seen as worthwhile after it's over? Another thread maybe...on the philosophy board? ;)

This came out quite some years ago, but I saw 'A Clockwork Orange' for the first time the other night and really enjoyed it. Worth renting if you've never seen it and fancy a classic.

Back