Any good movies out at the moment?

When I respond with "yeah its ok I can read" they often say how many people complain that they weren't told that a film had subtitles!!

Is society dumbing down or what?

I think its just the perceived notion that you will be reading instead of watching. The great thing about subtitles is that if the movie is good you will eventually forget that you are reading the dialogue and be more tuned in to the story, my thoughts anyways.

Regarding good movies - dvd - Pans labryinth, kiss kiss bang bang.

Cinema, haven't enjoyed much out there at the moment, wasn't impressed with CLoverfield, The valley of Elah looks good but will wait and see.

Last edited:
Thats a huge sweeping statement. There have been so many wonderful musicals of all genres over the years. Everything from The Wizard of Oz to Rocky Horror. From Grease to Little Shop of Horrors.
Have to say i'm a Rocky Horror fan myself - used to love the odd Fridays in Harolds X.
Odd being the word...

Get yourself to the Sugar Club tomorrow night. They're doing the Rocky Horror show and it's great fun. Think it's €15 and there's prizes for the best dressed!

Originally Posted by elefantfresh
Thats a huge sweeping statement. There have been so many wonderful musicals of all genres over the years. Everything from The Wizard of Oz to Rocky Horror. From Grease to Little Shop of Horrors.
Have to say i'm a Rocky Horror fan myself - used to love the odd Fridays in Harolds X.
Odd being the word...

Not a sweeping statement - just my own personal preference! If I had said ALL musicals are rubbish - that would be a sweeping statement!

I just really hate all the musicals I have ever seen including Rocky Horror Show, grease, hairspray etc etc - I hate singing in films and even hate singing episodes of the Simpsons.

I heard on the radio the other day that cinemas are informing patrons that Sweeney Todd is a musical when they purchase their tickets because people are walking out when they realise it's not a horror flick!

I remember hearing the same thing about "The Phantom of the Opera".

Some people were expecting to see a remake of the horror movie that had this [broken link removed]and were walking out when they realised it was the version written by this !

A really excellent film is 'Into the Wild' - beautiful to watch and made me think...

I found 'No Country for Old Men' really disappointing - mindless violence, completely vacuous imho...dunno, maybe I'm getting old !

A really excellent film is 'Into the Wild' - beautiful to watch and made me think...

Agree, loved it too.

I found 'No Country for Old Men' really disappointing - mindless violence, completely vacuous imho...dunno, maybe I'm getting old !

Ah c'mon!!

I can imagine the violence may be off putting for some though.

I thought the ending was a bit abrupt for "No country...".
Had i known it was the last scene i may have paid more attention to what was being said. Cool movie though. Really enjoyed the scene with the garage owner in the middle of nowhere and the coin toss. Very intense!

Oh yes, and "see my vest" was class! "I really like the shoes"

An older movie (early 90s maybe?) and probably not that easy to get on DVD, but I really loved In The Soup. Offbeat, unusual, funny and even quite touching.

Steve Buscemi is a tortured and impoverished script writer who as a last resort sells his movie script via a small ad. - the script is bought by a kind of warm hearted small time gangster. Great role for this guy.

An older movie (early 90s maybe?) and probably not that easy to get on DVD, but I really loved In The Soup. Offbeat, unusual, funny and even quite touching.

Steve Buscemi is a tortured and impoverished script writer who as a last resort sells his movie script via a small ad. - the script is bought by a kind of warm hearted small time gangster. Great role for this guy.

Yes indeed. Very enjoyable. Another great Steve Buscemi film from the same era is Living in Oblivion.

The great thing about subtitles is that if the movie is good you will eventually forget that you are reading the dialogue and be more tuned in to the story, my thoughts anyways.

So true! If I am watching a subtitled movie that isn't very good I am aware all the time that its subtitled,but if I am enjoying the movie I forget entirely about the subtitles within minutes of the opening credits.

Cinema Paradiso, Life is Beautiful two great subtitled films.... and Cinema Paradiso has one of the best am I crying/or am I laughing endings ever.

Pans Labyrinth is another excellent subtitled film. Mr. Ailbhe enjoyed it and when I mentioned it to someone recently I said it was subtitled. Mr. Ailbhe sais "no it wasn't". That's how good it was :D

Good "visualisation" of box office revenues here.

The total area under a curve corresponds to the total gross. You can see the bursts of revenue during the summer and Christmas periods and
as you scroll the clock back to late 80's you can see the good grossing years and the bad.

Guys - great movie on TV tonight apparently:

To Live and Die in LA (Directed by William Friedkin of The Exorcist fame)
One of those movies I've always meant to see but haven't.

Mid 80s, one of those underrated cult classics supposedly.

Willem Dafoe is meant to be great in it - 10:00 tonight (Tue) on TG4.

Just opening a beer now....;)

Guys - great movie on TV tonight apparently:

To Live and Die in LA (Directed by William Friedkin of The Exorcist fame)
One of those movies I've always meant to see but haven't.

Mid 80s, one of those underrated cult classics supposedly.

Willem Dafoe is meant to be great in it - 10:00 tonight (Tue) on TG4.

Just opening a beer now....;)

Yes, great film, have it on dvd.

Watched 'Lars and the Real Girl' recently and loved it. It had the potential to be terrible given it's far-fetched plot, but Ryan Gosling put in a very good performance.

I second the recommendation for Into the Wild... as well as being a great film, the soundtrack is fantastic (soundtrack provided by Eddie Vedder).

A film that had good reviews but I found really disappointing was Bella http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0482463/

Disappointed with To Live and Die in LA.

Enjoyable enough and some good tense moments but very much a product of the 80s IMO.

Really enjoyed In Bruges though which I rented recently.

Back