Any good movies out at the moment?

Most big budget flicks tend to disappoint me, but if you haven't seen the Dark Knight yet then go soon. Its very very good with some great performances.

As for the rental market - I really enjoyed the Counterfeiters (again subtitled for those that can read).

Haven't seen it yet but hear that 'Before The Devil Knows You're Dead' is very good. It has Philip Seymour Hoffman in it - and he never disappoints.

Disappointed with To Live and Die in LA.

Enjoyable enough and some good tense moments but very much a product of the 80s IMO.

Really enjoyed In Bruges though which I rented recently.

It was made in the 80's - what did you expect?

It was made in the 80's - what did you expect?

Yes, I know it was made in the 80s.

My comment was meant to convey that IMO it featured all the worst aspects of the moviemaking of that decade - in case that wasn't clear.

Or are you referring to something else?

I just sa in bruges teh night before lats.

i thought it was absolutely fantatstic.

A really really enjoyable movie.

WOuld recommend it to anyone.

Most big budget flicks tend to disappoint me, but if you haven't seen the Dark Knight yet then go soon. Its very very good with some great performances.

I saw this on Friday night and I actually had a nightmare about the Joker that night! Its years since a movie had that effect on me. I thought a lot of the hype around Heath Ledger's performance was due to his unfortunate untimely death but it really was outstanding and disturbing.

Haven't seen it yet but hear that 'Before The Devil Knows You're Dead' is very good. It has Philip Seymour Hoffman in it - and he never disappoints.

Yes excellent - very enjoyable.

Re: Before the Devil Knows you're dead.

Saw this and was also very impressed - and a lot of credit has to go to Ethan Hawke.
Ethan Hawke has been accused of overusing a particular facial expression: a sort of dumb amazement, expressed with the mouth open and the
eyebrows raised. Not exactly the hollywood 'magnum' look ;)- more like the village idiot look actually!

But in this movie this expression (and others of course) really work for him. His character - who is not the sharpest pencil in the box - finds himself in
complex mess that is spiraling out of control. Great acting from Hoffman and Hawke - enjoyed it!

New Coen brothers film coming up in October - comedy this time.

Also Hunger, based on the Bobby Sands story.

I watched the DVD of "The Lives of Others" last week it's a sub titled German film. It might be difficult to get in most rental shops. I thought the film was excellant. Still thinking about a week later, is that a good sign?

WE rented The Orpahange at the weekend it was a briliant film. Spanish with subtitles. It is in Xtra Vision under horror even though I wouldn't class it as that !

Saw The Happening the other day on DVD and boy was that a waste of a few hours of my life.

Silly concept, disjointed, badly acted, utterly unthrilling and an unbelievably lazy, cynical piece of moviemaking.

One of the worst films I've seen in a long time - I actually laughed when the credits came up - and this is from the guy who brought us The Sixth Sense?!

Some of his others have been a bit hit and miss alright but this was like a B Movie. I haven't seen The Village yet but I'm seriously having second thoughts about it now.

I just sa in bruges teh night before lats.

i thought it was absolutely fantatstic.

A really really enjoyable movie.

WOuld recommend it to anyone.

I agree, I'm not usually keen on Colin Firth but this was a good 'n. If you liked the humour of Get Shorty you might like this.

The worst film I've seen lately was The Wickerman with Nicholas Cage. It was really, really bad.

As for 'A Clockwork Orange', even when I was going through a pretentious phase at university I still couldnt pretend I liked it.

I enjoyed Hunger, out now in most cinemas.

Deals with Bobby Sands/Hunger Strike/Maze Prison

Busy at the cinema this week : My Best Friend's Girl - Dunno why.

I enjoyed Hunger, out now in most cinemas.

Deals with Bobby Sands/Hunger Strike/Maze Prison

Busy at the cinema this week : My Best Friend's Girl - Dunno why.

As did i, but in few cinemas. I would have had to go to dublin to see if i eh hadn't seen it cough cough. But very very very good.

Back