Another "I hate that ad" thread

car

I'll sum it up...

"use clonfolic acid or your baby will get spina bifida, and oh yeah, I use it ALL the time because I have sex a lot and 50% of babies are unplanned .. giggle giggle"

if youve heard it, you know the one Im on about.

This isnt a rant about health warnings, the risks involved with not taking clonfolic acid, people taking clonfolic acid all the time, people who have a lot of sex or even the 50% of us who arent supposed to be here. I just HATE that ad.

rant over.

HATE that ad to.....it just encourages unprotected sex

although i hate all ads on radio....apart that recent one for mcdonalds with whacker asking people if they are starting and that he will bring the pain costs feck all to make but is still brilliant

Oh the one on the radio that goes "HEADACHE, HEADACHE, HEADACHE "...
brilliant add camaign cause it gives me one just listening to it

car said:
I'll sum it up...

"use clonfolic acid or your baby will get spina bifida, and oh yeah, I use it ALL the time because I have sex a lot and 50% of babies are unplanned .. giggle giggle"

Is it not just folic acid?? Never heard of CLONfolic acid (or is that the product name). At least a worthy point to it.

Whereas that Fanta "bambucha" sh*te is simply annoying.

I might be wrong, but Im sure the ad says [broken link removed] which would refer to the product rather then a health warning.

At least a worthy point to it.
If it was a health warning from the dept of health on the benefits of taking folic acid, I would see the worthiness of it. I think thats the bit that annoys me most, its a pharmaceutical companying preying on health fears to sell their product. Not worthy to me.

Where people are particularly annoyed or offended by a specific advertisement then they really should do something constructive about it like making a complaint to the company in question and/or the ASAI.

Are there limits to the amount of advertising allowed on TV - it seems to me that there are more frequent and longer ad breaks than there used to be, even the BBC has to have 2-3 self-promotion ads between each program. TV3 seems to be the worst - movies are unwatchable as a result. We seem to be heading down the American road here, with a 2 minute ad break in every 5 minutes of programming.

Before anyone makes the obvious point, yes they do generate revenue and create more stations, but surely it is a quality vs. quantity issue.

I hate all ads, by the way.

Markjbloggs said:
Are there limits to the amount of advertising allowed on TV - it seems to me that there are more frequent and longer ad breaks than there used to be, even the BBC has to have 2-3 self-promotion ads between each program. TV3 seems to be the worst - movies are unwatchable as a result. We seem to be heading down the American road here, with a 2 minute ad break in every 5 minutes of programming.

Yes, there are, but from what I read in the Irish Times around a montg ago, it could get a lot worse. It was a piece by Emmet Oliver (Marketing and Media) that suggested new EU rules would mean that Irish braodcasters could show more/longer commercials.

Anyone ever watch the Simpsons in the US?

Opening credits
Commercial
Show begins
Commercial in the middle
Commercial
End credits

I hate that ad for lemsip. "Sorts the men out from the boys". Oh you whinger!

CCOVICH said:
Yes, there are, but from what I read in the Irish Times around a montg ago, it could get a lot worse. It was a piece by Emmet Oliver (Marketing and Media) that suggested new EU rules would mean that Irish braodcasters could show more/longer commercials.

Anyone ever watch the Simpsons in the US?

Opening credits
Commercial
Show begins
Commercial in the middle
Commercial
End credits

Wait until we get TiVO. No more ads, no worries

Personally I currently find myself shouting at the AIB mortgages ad...
Its an answer phone message from Deirdre, who isn't in her brand new appartment listening to her messages on her brand new phone because she's out living the life of Reilly due to having an AIB mortgage...
I find myself shouting at the radio going 'up to your eyes in shagging debt'!!!
Talk about selling the lifestyle....

gearoidmm said:
Wait until we get TiVO. No more ads, no worries

Gearroid,

exactly how does that work - is it a subscription service or is there a carrier signal on the broadcast to indicate when ads are on/off?

tia

M

mell61 said:
Personally I currently find myself shouting at the AIB mortgages ad...
Its an answer phone message from Deirdre, who isn't in her brand new appartment listening to her messages on her brand new phone because she's out living the life of Reilly due to having an AIB mortgage...
I find myself shouting at the radio going 'up to your eyes in shagging debt'!!!
Talk about selling the lifestyle....

Yes, I can just see Deirdre coming on to AAM in the future whining because she is out of her depth in debt, that the banks are about to foreclose, and wondering what should she do.

I wonder, if she were brought to court for non payment of debt, whether she could argue that the bank was negligent in that they had encouraged people to borrow irresponsibly and therefore that they should be liable for any debts that turn sour.

Poor Deirdre, my heart bleeds for you.

Murt

nah, she'll end up living back with mammy, highlighted on a new RTE program called 'I'm a child, why did they give me a mortgage'....

Markjbloggs said:
Gearroid,

exactly how does that work - is it a subscription service or is there a carrier signal on the broadcast to indicate when ads are on/off?

tia

M

Sorry, TiVo isn't available yet in Ireland. In the US it's killing advertising. It allows you to record shows from your cable and watch them whenever you want. Better than that, you can watch other shows while it is recording. It stores up to 30 hours at a time (I think). Even if you are watching a show live, if you miss a bit, you can rewind and then watch it time-delayed until the ads come on and you can fast forward back to real time again.

What my mate usually does is set the tv to record the first half of a show, join in in the middle and fast forward each of the ads so it finishes still at roughly the same time as the original. Sounds a bit like fancy video, I know, but so much better.

ClubMan said:
Where people are particularly annoyed or offended by a specific advertisement then they really should do something constructive about it like making a complaint to the company in question and/or the ASAI.
LOL! The ASAI is a toothless dog run by and paid for by the advertisers themselves. When was the last time they fined someone? All they will do is tell them not to use that ad again, long after the campaign is over.

The ASAI should be replaced by a statuatory Govt agency, with teeth.

From personal experience I totally agree with your criticisms of the ASAI but in the absence of any other statutory authority to deal with such matters they (and the companies involved themselves) are the obvious port of call for those who want to do something relatively constructive and not just moan.

Back