Am I just old fashioned when it comes to dress code?

In the same way that Google has no dress code and to some extent frown upon business attire, if I went for a job there and hadn't done any work to prepare myself for what Google expects, then that's my problem.

I know someone who turned up for an interview with Google in jeans because he read about their 'relaxed' attitude. The feedback from google was not good.

Complete other way round for me, if people can't take the time to research me as a potential employer and make simple queries or investigations as to who I am, what I do and any cultural aspects, then that's a bad mark in my book.
So if I landed in Ireland today from France or Estonia, where would I find information about the dress code of any SME?

That has to be be the most condescending post I have read in a very long time. Disabled people and foreigners don't know that they should make an effort to look presentable when entering a potential employers workplace? Seriously?
Seriously - no, that's not what I said. Go back and read the post.

So if I landed in Ireland today from France or Estonia, where would I find information about the dress code of any SME?

If you're taking the leap of emigrating from France or Estonia and you can't find the time or haven't the aptitude to make a few enquiries into your potential employer, even down to emailing the contact there at the very least, then it speaks volumes.

It's not unreasonable to have an assumption that "business attire" is the norm where no information can be found. But it's not also unreasonable to assume that such a laissez-faire to your future employment that could easily be solved with a very quick phone call or email, doesn't represent the potential employee in a good light.

I must say, neither does it represent a poster, who would view equality as a fundamental provision, in a good light to give the impression that foreign nationals and disabled people are incapable of making judgements on business norms, incapable of making enquiries on business norms, or unable to present themselves in a position, professional manner without being mollycoddled by their furture employer.

What you call 'lack of cop on' could also be described as 'knowing how we do things round here'. There are lots of reasons why someone might not be familiar with traditions or conventions in particular workplaces. This could happen with people who just haven't worked before, or people with disabilities who find it difficult to find work, or people from other countries who might have different traditions and convention.

Seriously - no, that's not what I said. Go back and read the post.

Still sounds condescending to me. A person in wheelchair who turns up in a celtic jersey would not get a job with me. That's equality for you. (Or any football jersey just in case I get accused of anti-celtic bias)

I see this issue has been raised again regarding the dress code (or lack of) in The Dail.

I fully agree that there should be a policy of at least "neat dress". It shows respect for your coleagues and employers- the public.

It was discussed on Newstalk this morning and Chris Donoghue tried to put forward the argument that it is one's actions that are important, and not the way you dress. This to me is a ridiculous argument, as they are not exclusive. One can dress well AND do or say the right thing.

It was then pointed out ti Chris that he was wearing a suit for a radio programme, and he had no answer, just some bluster about "It's what I'm comfortable with".

Im not so sure about this point. The people who voted for Richard Boyd-Barrett, Mick Wallace and Ming knew exactly who and what they were voting for. So to say their attire in the Dail show disrespect for the public is incorrect.

When they are in the Dail, they represent me just as much as those that voted for them. (At least they are supposed to).

In passing legislation, they are acting on behalf of the nation as a whole.

I don't care what they wear when holding clinics in their constituencies.

A person in wheelchair who turns up in a celtic jersey would not get a job with me. That's equality for you. (Or any football jersey just in case I get accused of anti-celtic bias)

Depends what the job is. If the job is working in Lifestyle Sports or working in the Celtic shop or the Celtic fan club office, then they might be the ideal person for the job.

If you're taking the leap of emigrating from France or Estonia and you can't find the time or haven't the aptitude to make a few enquiries into your potential employer, even down to emailing the contact there at the very least, then it speaks volumes.
So why wouldn't employers avoid the need for people to email the contact and just publish this information as part of the job spec for the world to see? Why all this messing around and expecting people to 'read between the lines'?
It's not unreasonable to have an assumption that "business attire" is the norm where no information can be found.
Depends where the job is. I recall seeing an online discussion with hip people sneering and laughing at the bloke who turned up for an interview in the new Abercrombie store in Dundrum in a suit - the ultimate faux-pas in that sector it seems.

I must say, neither does it represent a poster, who would view equality as a fundamental provision, in a good light to give the impression that foreign nationals and disabled people are incapable of making judgements on business norms, incapable of making enquiries on business norms, or unable to present themselves in a position, professional manner without being mollycoddled by their furture employer.
That's not what I said - go back and read the post.

Ah for crying out loud - is this statement for real?

It doesn't take a rocket scientist - no matter what country they are from - that you shoudl look as presentable as possible when facing a potential future eemployer.
You don't need to look up any special literatire to come to that conclusion.

Would you mind researching a country for me where coming in in casual clothes is the expected attire for an interview? No ... I didn't think so.

And if in doubt then it's quite simple - err on the side of caution and dreess up !

Seriously - a small bit of every day common sense is seriously amiss here when people are throwing out arguments like the above.

Are you saying that people are told they're coming in for an aptitude test but, if the supervisors don't like their dress, they will mark them down or call a less able candidate for interview??

No, I think that if they are not appropriately dressed, it can be one factor for borderline candidates that might tip them over into the No box of job candidates. In large companies, the front line of people that are assessing prospective new employees are not assessing their abilities to to job. They are faceless people from HR who are assessing the applicants for the their suitability to mesh with the company in general, and fit in with its corporate ethos. If they have to weed through 500 CV's to fill 5 positions, that probably means whittling down the 500 to the 50 that will be called for an initial phone interview, called in for a first real interview with HR, called back to come in and take an aptitude test, and called back again second interview. If you make a mistake during any of those steps, you will not get to go on to the next one. Wearing something overly casual or inappropriate during an aptitude test could very well be considered to be a mistake that scuppers your chances. Fair or not, it happens !

I had to interview about 150 people for grade IV's positions in the HSE. There were 5 interview boards so we had criteria to mark against, there was no heading for dress code. I'd say 147 dressed how you'd expect while 3 didn't. One girl wore a very short skirt, high heels, and a sparkly sleeveless top and we ranked her very high. She did look great but it was an outfit for the nightclub.

I interviewed another lot for the post nurse attendant and one lad came in a nice suit (very few wore a suit). He got the job and when he came to work in his short sleeve tunic uniform, both his arms were covered in tattoos. The older patients were a bit frightened of him at first I heard and I got a bit of stick from the Sister who wanted to let him go immediately but again there was / is no criteria stating the tattoos are a no no.

So since those two I reserve judgment. After 20 years working in an office environment wearing office appropriate attire I tend to push it a bit now. You'll find me wearing yellow nail varnish, big rings/watches, skinny jeans, uggs etc that I use to reserve for the weekend. This is so I can get to use up my stuff and wear my clothes.

If I have an important meeting I'll take this on board and wear a dress, cardi pumps for example but if I only get a few minutes notice so be it.

I
I interviewed another lot for the post nurse attendant and one lad came in a nice suit (very few wore a suit). He got the job and when he came to work in his short sleeve tunic uniform, both his arms were covered in tattoos. The older patients were a bit frightened of him at first I heard and I got a bit of stick from the Sister who wanted to let him go immediately but again there was / is no criteria stating the tattoos are a no no.

You are perfectly entitled to ask that tattoos be covered up.

read it... again, nothing it there that says I cant get my arms tattoo'd and wear a short sleeved shirt to my place of work.

Yes because there is a specific piece of legislation that says this is not allowed. :rolleyes: Do you really believe that the law is written in that way? Employers can impose a dress code on employees as long as it doesn't discriminate and that includes asking people to cover up tattoos or not wearing flip flops to work (there isn't an actual law outlawing specifically that either in case you were wondering). You may not agree with it but that is the way it is.

read it... again, nothing it there that says I cant get my arms tattoo'd and wear a short sleeved shirt to my place of work.

More importantly it is stating that there is nothing in current employment law that prevents an employer asking an employee to cover up the tattoos, whereas there are other stated limits on some "uniform" request based upon discrimination.

Yes because there is a specific piece of legislation that says this is not allowed. :rolleyes: Do you really believe that the law is written in that way? Employers can impose a dress code on employees as long as it doesn't discriminate and that includes asking people to cover up tattoos or not wearing flip flops to work (there isn't an actual law outlawing specifically that either in case you were wondering). You may not agree with it but that is the way it is.

The law is open to debate. That is why we have lawyers. If it wasnt we would not need so many lawyers.
If I got my arms tattoo'd and was told to cover them up I am sure I could get a lawyer who could argue my case in front of a judge and I would have a chance of winning. Maybe not in front of every judge but certainly in front of some.

My point is, you as an employer cant bend me to your will. If you try to I can bring a case against you. I may win, I may not. But if I put up a determined enough case/fight it will cost you more money (plus time and headaches) than me.

Still want to force me to cover my arms?

Back