Am I just old fashioned when it comes to dress code?

JP1234

I went to a competency test for a job yesterday. Public facing job so appearance would matter.

There were maybe a dozen of us in the room doing the test, all naturally sizing each other up.( all female)

One candidate turned up in T shirt, shorts and Sandals

Another had a very obvious stain on her top ( ok it could have happened on the way in)

Best of all was the girl next to me, resplendent in White cut of jeans, low cut vest top, numerous gold chains rattling round her neck and to cap it off, trainers on her feet.

Am I missing something here, even though it was just a test and not a full interview isn't it common sense to dress well for a potential employer?

A relative of mine is in HR/Training and said if someone turned up like that, regardless of the test result he wouldn't shortlist them for interview as it showed a lack of common sense and would suggest they didn't take the job seriously.

What other inappropriate dressing for the occasion have you witnessed.

I went to a competency test for a job yesterday. Public facing job so appearance would matter.

There were maybe a dozen of us in the room doing the test, all naturally sizing each other up.( all female)

One candidate turned up in T shirt, shorts and Sandals

Another had a very obvious stain on her top ( ok it could have happened on the way in)

Best of all was the girl next to me, resplendent in White cut of jeans, low cut vest top, numerous gold chains rattling round her neck and to cap it off, trainers on her feet.

Am I missing something here, even though it was just a test and not a full interview isn't it common sense to dress well for a potential employer?

A relative of mine is in HR/Training and said if someone turned up like that, regardless of the test result he wouldn't shortlist them for interview as it showed a lack of common sense and would suggest they didn't take the job seriously.

Maybe they didn't want the job ;)

I'd agree with you on this - people dont realise how much first impressions count for in these situations. Reminds me of the time I had a conversation with someone over a former work colleague who was brilliant at the job, but untidy in appearance. They had formed the impression that he must be rubbish at the job because he cant dress himself properly.

I once attended a high level meeting overseas - type of meeting where even if you are dressed in a suit, you still feel underdressed. Representative of UK affiliate turned up wearing casual clothes including what looked like a tracksuit top as a jacket - and was late for the meeting. When he walked into the room, everyone assumed it was the conference centre janitor in to fix something - then he sat down at the empty seat at the table and joined in. Several years after the event, this is still talked about.

sure maybe they think they're in Google where you come in to work in sandals and hawaiian print shirts....or maybe thats just the propaganda!!

Maybe they didn't want the job ;)

I am wondering if they were forced to attend by Fas or something, otherwise why bother turning up at all?

csirl said:
I'd agree with you on this - people dont realise how much first impressions count for in these situations

I can't imagine what the HR Manager who was present must have thought! I am taking the view that this is 2 or 3 less people I am in competition with at least!

To be honest I wouldn't really have a problem with people dressing casually to just sit an aptitude test and I wouldn't dismiss them for that reason. If they turned up for the interview in jeans or flip flops or whatever, that would be a different matter.

To be honest I wouldn't really have a problem with people dressing casually to just sit an aptitude test and I wouldn't dismiss them for that reason. If they turned up for the interview in jeans or flip flops or whatever, that would be a different matter.

Why? What's the difference?

Why is it unacceptable to wear casual clothes to an interview but acceptable to wear them to a job-related aptitude test?

Why is it unacceptable to wear casual clothes to an interview but acceptable to wear them to a job-related aptitude test?

I think we as a people are too hung up on dress code. We put our children into uniform at the age of 4 or 5 to send them off to school. Why? Because that is the convention.
It was the convention in the 50s to be subservient to the Catholic Church. No one questioned it.

I love the educate together ethos schools. Kids don’t wear uniform. They are individuals. I cant get my head around the idea that kids should wear a uniform at 4 or 5.

I heard the stories about google and the cloths policy. This is the way to go in my opinion. It you can do your job competently then any clothes you wear should not matter one iota.

Challenge conventions, challenge norms.

The school uniform ensures that no child sits in that classroom feeling inferior because of the clothes they wear. School is hard enough for kids without subjecting them to bullying because they can't afford to wear the latest designer clothes (or maybe because they can, in this day and age!).

I agree that we are too hung up on dress code in relation to interviews though but until the general attitude changes, you would be crazy to go to an interview in casual clothes just to show your individuality.

The school uniform ensures that no child sits in that classroom feeling inferior because of the clothes they wear. School is hard enough for kids without subjecting them to bullying because they can't afford to wear the latest designer clothes (or maybe because they can, in this day and age!).

I agree that we are too hung up on dress code in relation to interviews though but until the general attitude changes, you would be crazy to go to an interview in casual clothes just to show your individuality.

I have heard this argument loads of times and I honestly dont buy it. Bullying goes on regardless of whether a child is required to wear a uniform or not.

I have two nephews. One goes to an Educate Together school, the other a normal Catholic National school (which wears uniform).
In the latter school all parents were called in a few months back due to an escalation of bullying in school after a number of parents made complaints.

To my mind there is no justifible argument for putting 4 and 5 year old kids into uniforms.

But I maybe going slightly off topic... I agree with your second point that until society changes it would be crazy to go to an interview dressed in a Hawaiian shirt. But I do commend google for doing there bit to change the norms of society.

I've refused people at interview based on how they were dressed. Number of reasons for that
Firstly there can be health and safety grounds in relation to loose clothes and machines for example, or dropping something on your foot
Secondly, I have to respect my customers wishes and expectations. Like it or not, if you put a slovenly dressed person in front of a client, they are going to draw their own conclusions about them and their company. Whether that is right or wrong is irrelevant, it's how it is
Lastly, if someone cannot be bothered to make themselves neat and presentable for any visit to a potential employer, to me, that potentially says that they may also have a casual approach to a job

One of the best pieces of advice I once got is that you should dress each day as if it is important. That doesn't mean a full suit etc (I'm usually in jeans and a shirt at work), but be clean, tidy and dressed appropriately

I have heard this argument loads of times and I honestly dont buy it. Bullying goes on regardless of whether a child is required to wear a uniform or not.

I have two nephews. One goes to an Educate Together school, the other a normal Catholic National school (which wears uniform).
In the latter school all parents were called in a few months back due to an escalation of bullying in school after a number of parents made complaints.

Just because bullying goes on anyway doesn't mean that we should provide an additional reason for some children to bully others. Especially in this age when we have children from multiple backgrounds and cultures.

One of the best pieces of advice I once got is that you should dress each day as if it is important. That doesn't mean a full suit etc (I'm usually in jeans and a shirt at work), but be clean, tidy and dressed appropriately

I live by that. I am not Hyacinth Bucket and I don't get dolled up just to go to the shop but I try to look presentable if I am out and about, even if it's just walking the dog.

As for uniforms..well I love them ( no sniggering at the back;)) I worked for years at a place that provided us with plain blue suit and a stripey blouse..nice, smart and simple. I was quite upset when they decided to discontinue them. I was in a shoe shop recently and ended up asking a customer if they had a particular shoe in stock as I couldn't tell who worked there and she happened to look business-like. I know it might sound a bit snobby or extreme but I would be unlikely to shop in a place where the staff look like they have just wandered in off the street/come from a nightclub or just fallen out of bed.

Anyhow, I have to sort out my interview clothes now for tomorrow!

Agree with Mpsox.

If you turn up for an interview/meeting etc. dressed casually, you are essentially telling the people you are meeting that they are not worth the effort and you dont really care. Think of it this way, if your brother or sister was getting married, would you would make the effort to dress up because you respect them - you would just turn up in a dirty pair of jeans and old t-shirt. Its all about respect for your job, family, clients etc.

I would like to be as relaxed and comfortable as possible in an aptitude test as its an aptitude test, not an interview. Many people dont like wearing suits and get nervous/self conscious in them so being as comfortable as possible allows you to concentrate on the test itself.

From my own experiences and listening to work colleagues (IT industry), many of them dont even bother wearing suits to interviews since it allows you to skip over and do the interview without needing to take a day off from your current job.
Perhaps this is more lenient in IT industry based on most of it being non-public facing, but IMO any HR person who would dismiss a candidate immediately for not wearing a suit is an idiot.
Also, personally I wouldnt accept an IT job where I had to wear a suit into work but thats just me.

Also, personally I wouldnt accept an IT job where I had to wear a suit into work but thats just me.

I'm also in IT and much prefer a job where a suit is the norm. It means I can just throw on my suit in the morning and not have to think about what to wear.
I hated 'casual' Fridays, because it wasn't really.

Depends on who you're interviewing with, but casual dress is very common for aptitude tests. I've been to 3 now and all have them have clearly stated that there is no dress code, and to dress comfortably.

An aptitude test is normally just to weed out the people that can barely read/write/do basic maths and is normally just a large room of people who are just a number at that stage. The interview is the place where you get the opportunity to sell yourself.

Like it or not, if you put a slovenly dressed person in front of a client, they are going to draw their own conclusions about them and their company

One of the best pieces of advice I once got is that you should dress each day as if it is important...... be clean, tidy and dressed appropriately

My present boss is embarrassing - he drinks too much, smokes too much, is obese, smells of B.O., and arrived at a recent meeting with the remnants of a breakfast roll down his white shirt !! He is supposed to be leading me but i wish i could just say to the clients we meet that " I'M NOT LIKE HIM !!!!!"

I'm also in IT and much prefer a job where a suit is the norm. It means I can just throw on my suit in the morning and not have to think about what to wear.
I hated 'casual' Fridays, because it wasn't really.

+++1

The hassle of getting organised for casual Friday was such a pain - giz a shirt and tie and out the door anyday

It wouldn't cross my mind to turn up for any interview/aptitude test in anything other that business casual - at minimum smart trousers/skirt and a blouse. Even though my previous job involved wearing white boiler suits on a construction site, i still dressed up for the interview. It shows a lack of respect, and i agree with previous posters gives an attitude of 'I don't care for the interview/test hence i will adopt the same attitude towards the role'.

I work from home when i'm not visiting a client, so have it pretty well balanced - smart to client (unless i know them well and know i am going to be getting physical and dirty and follow their onsite dress codes), and casual at home :)

Back