Am I just old fashioned when it comes to dress code?

I work from home when i'm not visiting a client, so have it pretty well balanced - smart to client (unless i know them well and know i am going to be getting physical and dirty and follow their onsite dress codes), and casual at home :)

What do you do? ;)

(unless i know them well and know i am going to be getting physical and dirty and follow their onsite dress codes), and casual at home :)

I am afraid to ask what it is you do for a living!;)

As for Dress down days..I hated them and would alway just carry on wearing my business clothes.

Cross post with Sunny..great minds think alike...

The Public Sector has casual Friday every day.

That said - dry cleaning suits is expensive.

The Public Sector has casual Friday every day.
Not true, for the public sector as a whole. Parts of the Civil Service are very conservative, particularly as staff move up the grades. In my organisation, it depends what I'm up to on any particular day. If I'm out representing the organisation at meetings, then it is suit and tie (which I generally hate). If I'm in the office, business casual is good.
That said - dry cleaning suits is expensive.
Very true.

+++1

The hassle of getting organised for casual Friday was such a pain - giz a shirt and tie and out the door anyday

Whats to organise? Pair of jeans, t-shirt and runners. Simple? Its not a fashion show, its casual Friday.

I couldnt wear a suit and write code at the same time, just feels wrong for a software developer :D

Whats to organise? Pair of jeans, t-shirt and runners. Simple? Its not a fashion show, its casual Friday.

I couldnt wear a suit and write code at the same time, just feels wrong for a software developer :D

Most companies won't allow runners and t-shirts even on casual Friday. People don't know where to draw the line. I have seen people turn up in football tops. And I have seen girls dress like hookers.....

Most companies won't allow runners and t-shirts even on casual Friday. People don't know where to draw the line. I have seen people turn up in football tops. And I have seen girls dress like hookers.....

So long as that isnt customer facing what is the problem?

So long as that isnt customer facing what is the problem?

It doesn't have to be client facing. Most companies have outside clients/customers/visitors come into the building for various meetings. They shouldn't have to see lads wearing their celtic tops and girls dressing like Britney Spears. Especially when they look nothing like her.

It's the same with groups of people standing outside office buildings smoking. It looks unprofessional.

Anyone who owns a replica football jersey should be sacked on the spot for being a sheep

Why? What's the difference?

Why is it unacceptable to wear casual clothes to an interview but acceptable to wear them to a job-related aptitude test?

Because the aptitude test is just a preliminary to sort out the candidates the company is genuinely interested in and would like to meet formally to discuss the job. The candidates will (or should be) judged totally on how they perform in the exam and their clothes have nothing to do with the process.

Because the aptitude test is just a preliminary to sort out the candidates the company is genuinely interested in and would like to meet formally to discuss the job. The candidates will (or should be) judged totally on how they perform in the exam and their clothes have nothing to do with the process.

But everything to do with a job application is about judging people. Would you hire someone that followed one particular fashion and turned up in their pajamas because they were comfy

Back