Allowing my daughter to live in our holiday home rent-free?

Rightly or wrongly, I wouldn't have even considered the situation of the op worthy of a difficults night sleep at all. It wouldn't have crossed my mind to inform revenue in the slightest.

Throwing different scenarios at the issue for reason not to,, well, we could be here all night.

I would be pretty sure, most normal thinking folk, would absolutely help their daughter out in this situation, and not invite trouble where there is none.

I would 100% do the same.

I think most people would want to help, however its better to go in with a full understanding of potential pit falls. One of the main issues here is if the daughter moved a friend or partner in with her to the holiday home , what rights would they have? Better to have upfront rules

Hi dubdub

If you come across a car crash - would you help or would you move on by? You could be sued for doing something wrong if you helped out. Be careful.

Brendan

Ah com’n now, this I think is possibly scenario 365..

I know folk just want to give the what if position on this, which is fair enough.. but seriously, if my daughter was to act the maggot with her parents on any of the hundreds of reasons that can be given as to why not do the right thing, then, that would be my devastation, and nothing else would compare.

I think you have the make on your off spring, I have a pal, whose daughter, has brought her fair share of trouble to his door, he wouldn’t do what the op is doing, he’d need his head examined if he did..

Not necessarily.
This is someone venting.

Show me where a case was brought successfully.

Not necessarily.
Citing as evidence another AAM thread, with no names or other details available to confirm it ever happened let alone led to any action being taken?

Some non-financial things to consider-

1. Why did you buy this property in first place ? It seems the primary intent was holidays home and not rent it out. And yet you are thinking of doing completely opposite - renting (with or without rent) For sure, it will not longer be a holidays/ weekend respite for you.
2. Where did the idea of giving 'free accommodation' to an adult child come from? Family members can be mean in putting parents in very difficult positions of saying 'No'.
3. While it seems good idea to help out your child, you are basically paying for thier accommodation. How are your finances before you do that ?

Some non-financial things to consider-

1. Why did you buy this property in first place ? It seems the primary intent was holidays home and not rent it out. And yet you are thinking of doing completely opposite - renting (with or without rent) For sure, it will not longer be a holidays/ weekend respite for you.
2. Where did the idea of giving 'free accommodation' to an adult child come from? Family members can be mean in putting parents in very difficult positions of saying 'No'.
3. While it seems good idea to help out your child, you are basically paying for thier accommodation. How are your finances before you do that ?
You echo my sentiments here.
I read a headline recently that up to 50% of american parents are helping out their adult children, some of whom are in their 30s 40s and even 50s. Whether the stats are similiar here is debatable. Its like an accepted thing nowadays.
It does absolutely nothing for the adult 'Child' except create a dependancy when they should be encouraged to stand in their own 2 feet. Mammy and Daddy wont always be there to fund their free housing needs.

Giving free accomodation to off-spring frequently leads to rows and disagreements over time.
Agreed.I don’t think there’s anything negative about pointing the possibility of family disputes, notwithstanding the obvious financial advantages.

So all you parents out there why did you buy your principal residence? I want you all to toss out any son or daughter over the age of say 23.
Where did you ever get the idea of giving free accommodation to these adult wasters?
You are only creating a dependancy culuture. Out out out.:D
All joking aside, it was never easy to buy a first home but now it’s become impossible.

It’s the removal of hope that really galls. I doubt if young adults today would choose to hang off their parents but they really have little choice.

Years ago they’d emigrate because they couldn’t get a job here. Now they can get a job no problem. They just can’t afford to progress.

Because the world has changed. My folks bought their first home on a lower multiple of income than someone can now.

If my kids decide to be primary school teachers they’ll be doing an incredibly important job but getting paid peanuts and won’t be able to buy a house in Dublin. Meanwhile, I’ve made a few bob sitting at a desk and “moving around bits of paper” as my Mum says. Why wouldn’t I help them?

These latest generations are the first in the Western world to be doing worse than their parents, that’s the crux of the issue.

Hi dubdub

If you come across a car crash - would you help or would you move on by? You could be sued for doing something wrong if you helped out. Be careful.

Brendan
Id do what i did years ago when i saw someone get knocked down. Immediately get help by someone who has the skillset to help. In that case it was before mobile phones, so i ran to local garda station. Not sure how its relevant to my earlier post though. Maybe my sarcasm or hidden meaning radar isnt working too well today been a long few days.

Back