Allowing my daughter to live in our holiday home rent-free?

The difference being that the lump-sum approach can be applied equally to all.

Whereas the 'free gaff' generally cannot.

I would add also that giving a lump-sum leaves the agency & decision making with the adult off-spring; providing free accomodation can lead to a more 'dependent' mind-set.

Last edited:
Scenarios like this one happen all the time without incident.

And the caretaker discount reflects the fact that the parents are getting something out of the deal as well; their property isn’t vacant (security, frozen pipes, etc).

The type of person who’d object to a scenario like this is likely to cause conflict anyway in relation to something else. An eejit will always find a way to be an eejit.

We have just bought a home near the West coast, which we plan to use as a holiday / weekend retreat. Our daughter (single, no kids) lives in the general area of our new purchase. Can she live there rent-free (to allow her save her current rental money for a deposit for a house/apartment or will she have a 'revenue issue'?
The basic concern I have is that doing something nice for an adult child might cause more problems than it solves. It just seems a shame that it might be better to leave our new purchase empty when we are not there!
Any helpful advice?
The only problem you outline is regarding revenue. If you trust your daughter and as most parents want to help a child out my advise would be go ahead. Opportunities as such do not present very often. She is using the property as any of the family may do as a holiday retreat. Bills in your name. Go for it.

Brendan’s correct, Revenue have very little interest in cases like this.

What’s suggested makes eminent sense.

There should be two lots of €3k exemption, so a €6k shelter, plus you can apply a ‘caretaker discount’ to the market rent to reflect the fact that she’s looking after an otherwise vacant property for you. That can be 25-40%.
Could you provide link to the caretaker discount please. I have found details of caretaker discount for try before you buy and also new houses but this seems to be more a once off rather than ongoing.

I would be interested in finding out more about the caretaker discount you reference above.

What sort of problems do you have in mind?
She may become very settled in this lovely holiday home.....maybe too.settled as when the time comes for her to
vacate the proerty, she may well refuse to.

A better way would be to chat with the daughter and go through other options with her. Personally i would give her a deposit towards getting her own rental.

She may become very settled in this lovely holiday home.....maybe too.settled as when the time comes for her to
vacate the proerty, she may well refuse to.

A better way would be to chat with the daughter and go through other options with her. Personally i would give her a deposit towards getting her own rental.

In fairness, if the OP can't trust his own daughter, he might as well disown her now.

Why would he give her a deposit to rent, when a house within the family is available for her use.

I think the OP is overthinking the whole thing. You have a house, your daughter needs accomodation locally and it would be step in the right direction for her financially to allow her live in it rent free so that she can build up a savings' fund.

I can't see Revenue losing too much sleep over this one. It's the parents' holiday home. The daughter's side of the deal is that she gets to look after the house for her parents while she lives in it rent free.

Even if there's a financial cost to the arrangement from a Revenue point of view, I think the family reward for it well supersedes that.

Go for it Gorteen, the smile you'll put on your daughter's face will be worth it.

Last edited:
I don't believe its 'overthinking'.

It's being aware of possible unintended consequences, based on known experiences.

You also need to consider how your off-spring will feel about you landing down on weekends to what they now consider to be their home.

After considering all aspects, I'm sure that the OP can make their own decision.

Last edited:
Part of a wider discussion, but when paying rent is providing a roof over your head, I don't understand why we persist in seeing it as "wasted".

We don't talk about "wasting" money on gas to get heat.
I presume that Brendan means the "excess" that's wasted because a more economic form of rental is available and not taken for fear of vague potential hitches that might arise in certain circumstances.

I presume that Brendan means the "excess" that's wasted because a more economic form of rental is available and not taken for fear of vague potential hitches that might arise in certain circumstances.

Thanks Clubman, but Danny knows well what I meant.

Brendan

The only issue OP brought up was ,could there be a problem with revenue which has been addressed.
Seems like a no brainer to me just let the Daughter live there instead of paying unnecessary rent elsewhere.

Part of a wider discussion, but when paying rent is providing a roof over your head, I don't understand why we persist in seeing it as "wasted".

We don't talk about "wasting" money on gas to get heat.
I think it’s fair to call rent “wasted” money when the person’s parents have a vacant property in the same part of the country and are happy to let her stay in it rent-free while she saves to buy a home.

Rightly or wrongly, I wouldn't have even considered the situation of the op worthy of a difficults night sleep at all. It wouldn't have crossed my mind to inform revenue in the slightest.

Throwing different scenarios at the issue for reason not to,, well, we could be here all night.

I would be pretty sure, most normal thinking folk, would absolutely help their daughter out in this situation, and not invite trouble where there is none.

I would 100% do the same.

Back