DCC clamper fixed a puncture for my wife but damaged my car. Can I sue?

Introuble83

My wife got a puncture due a screw sticking in the tyre . She pulled in and parked . A DCC parking attendant changed the tyre for her to put the spare wheel in . In doing so he jacked the car on the frame instead of under the car in the correct location. The underbody is now bent as a result . The car is 2 weeks old . Is my only recourse to claim off my own insurance or pay the damage myself ? I acknowledge the guy did a good deed but his good deed just cost me approx 1750 worth of damage

I would sue him. Hopefully he will have a house and you can take that as well....Or are you thinking that you can sue Dublin City Council or something??

Your wife could have stopped him helping and called a qualified mechanic if she was so inclined. Claim off your insurance or pay it yourself.

It's no wonder insurance costs in this country are so high; claim for what from whom? The only grounds for an insurance claim here might fall under the stupidity clause if such exists.

I'm pretty sure all comprehensive policies have a roadside rescue element, exactly for such eventualities as well as misfuelling or running out of fuel; there's probably an 0818 or 1800 number to ring specified in the insurance booklet or QS guide to get a technician to the car quickly. But sure who reads these anyway, it's not like we'll ever need them?

What's that you say, a two-week-old car with TPF&T only? That'd be pretty stupid too.

I propose a quiz by the insurance company to verify that any driver covered under a particular policy of insurance understands what they're covered for and who to contact in what eventuality. Failing to score 100% disqualifies the proposer and any named drivers from cover.

It's no wonder insurance costs in this country are so high; claim for what from whom? The only grounds for an insurance claim here might fall under the stupidity clause if such exists.

I'm pretty sure all comprehensive policies have a roadside rescue element, exactly for such eventualities as well as misfuelling or running out of fuel; there's probably an 0818 or 1800 number to ring specified in the insurance booklet or QS guide to get a technician to the car quickly. But sure who reads these anyway, it's not like we'll ever need them?

What's that you say, a two-week-old car with TPF&T only? That'd be pretty stupid too.

I propose a quiz by the insurance company to verify that any driver covered under a particular policy of insurance understands what they're covered for and who to contact in what eventuality. Failing to score 100% disqualifies the proposer and any named drivers from cover.
I did not mention the level of cover I have. If I want to make an insurance claim on my own policy I am entitled to do so. I won’t be as it will obviously affect my no claims bonus and drive up my premiums going forward

What's a DCC parking attendant anyway? Are we talking traffic warden here? Or worse still a clamper?

In which case, sue, sue and sue again. I suppose you could go for summary execution but that's frowned upon these days.
The lad who gives you parking tickets.,

I can understand the frustration and don't think the op is looking for compensation per se, but someone shouldn't try and assist unless they are competent to do what they are assisting with.

It would be the person themselves that is liable and not their employer as they weren't acting in the course of their work, so the employer has zero liability.

I'd always have a can of "instant repair" foam in the car and have two in the wife's car. Tyre places hate the stuff as it's messy and makes it difficult to find a small puncture, but they are a godsend for a standard puncture.

It's a hard pill to swallow, but I would bring it directly to a body repair garage and not to the main dealer who just sends it out anyway and then adds 50% to the bill.

It will not affect your warranty in any way.

Imagine suing a Good Samaritan for something as trivial as this. o_O

Next time, treat yourself to no-claims-bonus protection and in the meantime thank your lucky stars that your wife wasn't left helpless and vulnerable on the side of the road.

Lads, a bit unfair - it's difficult to judge the tone of a question online. I'm not sure the OP was asking a 'who should I sue' question here. Purely seeing if there was any other option rather than lose his NCB from the insurance.

Your wife was present, surely she should have informed him of the correct mounting points?
Or one of the two grown adults present could have read the owner's manual to locate the correct jacking points under the body. Reading stuff doesn't seem to be a strong point with a lot of us. "Manuals & instruction leaflets? Waste o' paper man, waste o' paper."

Jacking points are of increased importance with the weight and cost of underfloor batteries in EVs.

Back