AIB Aib ex staff - getting €1,650 compensation

Jaharry

Hi
I am in a similar situation. I had a split part staff loan and part tracker and the staff loan was mass moved in January 2009 to variable rate . The option to move to tracker was not given even though I had part of the mortgage on tracker. I did not get 1615 comp. my case is now with the ombudsman and they are waiting for response from aib.
Hi,

I'm also in the same situation where the part of my mortgage which was on the 3% rate was moved to the variable rate without an option of a tracker at the time. At outset, part of our mortgage was put onto the staff rate of 3% (wasn't optional). I had contacted staff business back in 2016 but I was told that I should not have been offered the tracker rate. I wasn't aware of Clause 3.2 until yesterday but checked my documentation last night and I have this clause. My wife left employment with AIB a number of years ago so we didn't know if staff were involved with the union on this. Also we weren't in the group who were offered €1,615. Will be watching this unfold with interest!

Mildred

So on the tracker issue am I right in accessing that staff that moved onto a fixed rate in Jan 09 were given the €1615 and deemed effected. Staff that were moved onto the variable rate in Jan 09 were not deemed effected hence not given the €1615?

Sleven273

@Mildred No-They included staff members who moved to a fixed rate for a period of time. I.e my scenario is:

Jan 2009 moved from Staff rate "en-masse". I decided to fix in April 2010 for a period of 24 months. I have been deemed impacted from 2012 when I rolled from the fixed rate and received €1615 due to this.

Scruffy1

For anybody who was on a split mortgage and wasn't offered 1650, see attached press release from staff business on the change from Fixed staff rate to Variable. This struck me as strange at the time as the terms of the contract were changing yet nothing was signed by the customers.

Also the wording stresses staff will not be at a disadvantage differs to that in the letter of offer that commits to offer staff the best rate available. I note the tracker rate offered by AIB at this time was 2.6% and falling

Attachments

Track2019

The issue with staff business preferential rate is that despite the terms and conditions and the homeflex application form referring to the staff preferential as being a FIXED rate, staff business continue to argue that it isn't and therefore saying we are not impacted.

Summercruising

What about Staff Business not allowing staff to avail of tracker rates when they were introduced in 2002 because they couldn’t facilitate it! Yet customers were able to avail of them. I think it was 2005 before staff could avail of them. Surely this is not right?

verywhys

Frequent Poster
What about Staff Business not allowing staff to avail of tracker rates when they were introduced in 2002 because they couldn’t facilitate it! Yet customers were able to avail of them. I think it was 2005 before staff could avail of them. Surely this is not right?
Hi @Summercruising,

By any chance do you have a copy of the rate options letter from 2002 or 2005?

I think AIB staff definitely have a case when it comes to rolling off the staff preferential rate and not being offered a tracker. It has been described as a fixed rate by AIB in the Special Conditions in Letter of Offer...... therefore section 3.2 of the contract must apply.

Has anyone gone to the Ombudsman on this one?

I don't know why staff weren't given option in 2002 if it was available to public.

emilybee

Hi @Summercruising,

By any chance do you have a copy of the rate options letter from 2002 or 2005?

I think AIB staff definitely have a case when it comes to rolling off the staff preferential rate and not being offered a tracker. It has been described as a fixed rate by AIB in the Special Conditions in Letter of Offer...... therefore section 3.2 of the contract must apply.

Has anyone gone to the Ombudsman on this one?

I don't know why staff weren't given option in 2002 if it was available to public.
I agree with you on this . Also wondering has any AIB Bank Staff took this case to FPSO .I currently have a new complaint ongoing with AIB Staff Business but would be very interested to see how other AIB Staff are progressing with similar complaints?
How can they say we were not on a fixed rate when out Letter of Offer clearly describes it as an Staff Preferential Fixed Rate Mortgage?