AIB Aib ex staff - getting €1,650 compensation

Cbtrack

Hi all,
I am also in the same position as many of you seem to be here.
Took out staff mortgage in 2007.mortgage was split :
180k staff rate and remainder on tracker, as seemed to be the standard at the time.
My contract has the condition 3.2 referred to earlier which states that we were entitled to revert to tracker/variable/fixed at the end of a fixed period, however, the bank are now saying that the staff rate was not a fixed rate???
My mortgage was on a staff rate up until the end of last year when I switched to variable as it was more beneficial.at this stage I sighted my terms & conditions which contained the clause re: tracker option. When I queried this, I was offere the tracker at the ‘prevailing rate’ of 3.67% which I obviously declined.
When I raised a complaint in relation to why we were not offered a tracker previously during the bulk switch of 2009, they did a full review and I got the response that the staff rate was not a fixed rate.
This position is quite unbelievable. If the staff rate was not a fixed rate,why then did they include the terms & conditions of a fixed loan? The response from the bank has stated that it’s a final one. Just wondering if anyone has gone to pauric kissane with this issue as I can’t actually believe that they are denying this was a fixed rate mortgage and using this as an ‘out’ for staff. I wonder if normal customers who had this clause in their mortgage have been returned to trackers. It would seem on the face of it that staff are being treated much less favourably than other customers

Track2019

Hi all,
My husband and I are in the same position. We were originally on a tracker mortgage and in 2007 we enquired about fixing the rate due to rising rates. We were advised to request the staff pref loan fixed rate as it was available to staff members, so we did same.
The homeflex application form for the staff pref rate clearly refers to the pref rate loan as a FIXED loan and as others have mentioned, the terms and conditions of the contract refer to it as a fixed loan. Yet the bank are refusing to accept our complaint and are claiming the staff pref loan is a variable annuity rate. The t&C's of the contract and clause 3.2 along with with the homeflex application form clearly contradict this. I agree with you cbtrack, if my husband wasnt an aib staff member at the time we requested to fix the rate on our mortgage we would have most likely been included in the review and our tracker rate would have been restored. I haven't heard if the union are getting involved in this or advising their members on this matter.

Last edited:

Cbtrack

@Brendan, I hadn’t heard to date of the union getting involved in this issue at all but might be worth raising with them.
@ Track2019 - what stage is your complaint at? Did they send you a final response? We got a final response the same to say it was not actually a fixed rate. I didn’t even bother to reply to raise all of the issues re: the ts & cs contradicting this etc as I assume this is a position they are taking with all staff.
I couldn’t actually get my hands on the original application form. Did u manage to get a copy where it clearly states ‘fixed rate’ in it?
Next stop is either financial advisor or ombudsman. Just wondering if there would be many of us in this situation.

Scruffy1

Likewise, my complaint response denied that the Staff preferential PDH account was a fixed rate as it was titled 'Variable Annuity' (and bizarrely as it was subject to BIK) even though they mention the rate was static for term of the loan, this also was a final response. The special conditions specifically refer to it as a fixed rate though

Cbtrack

This must be the standard position they are taking with all staff /ex staff then that this wasn’t a fixed loan. It’s shocking really when the documentation clearly states otherwise.
@Scruffy1 did u get anywhere with a complaint to the ombudsman? Just trying to decide what my next step should be as clearly the bank are sending the same response to all staff hoping we will go away. It’s just plain worng and it’s there in black & white in the terms & conditions

Track2019

We got the same final response letter and are now considering our options. The preferential rate is referred to as a fixed rate in so many documents yet it's unbelievable that the bank are denying same. A link to the homeflex app form is attached on page 2 of this forum.

Cbtrack

By the way, does anyone even know what the hell a ‘variable annuity’ is supposed to be? Having googled it there doesn’t seem to be any link to a mortgage type product at all that I can find. Am I right in saying that as staff we believed at the time that we were taking out a fixed rate mortgage product? Were we then midsold this ‘variable annuity’ under the guise that it was a ‘fixed rate staff mortgage’? I don’t ever remember having a ‘variable annuity’ explained to me prior to signing contracts

Scruffy1

My initial request to the ombudsman was that I was not considered part of the 3.2 clause. They requested AIB's response to which they were said tracker review was ongoing even though both complaints listed this as AIB's final response. I had since launched a separate complaint on the why 3.2 was not in play which was responded by the Variable Annuity cop out.

From memory I think Padraic Kissane's view on this is staff should have been offered the more favourable tracker account once the variable rate increased above 3%, not that fixed accounts should have defaulted to the tracker option. I'm sure there are test cases still going through the mill but it looks as if AIB are militantly defending their position on staff/ex staff. I'm guessing this cohort would have much more sizable and multiples of loans than the general public

Emmalouf

Just wondered if any of the fso cases have been responded to. On my application form I ticked for a tracker mortgage but was put on the 3% staff and the remainder on tracker. I know I signed the documents but I think that as I ticked for tracker I should have been given this