AAM Election Manifesto!

Firefly

How about we put together what we'd like a political party to deliver in the next term? When complete I can summarise.

Put each request under a suitable heading such as:

Drink Driving
When people are stopped for random alcohol tests and they are found over the limit their car should be confiscated, sold and the proceeds go to the uninsured victims fund. This would be perfectly progressive as richer people would lose more expensive cars...

Firefly.

Drink Driving
When people are stopped for random alcohol tests and they are found over the limit their car should be confiscated, sold and the proceeds go to the uninsured victims fund. This would be perfectly progressive as richer people would lose more expensive cars...

Firefly.

Must remember to "borrow" my neighbour's car the next time I go boozing...

Drink Driving

Works very well in new york..

next one same for uninsured drivers...

when i started driving i paid €4500 for insurance , then i read in the paper of someone caught without any getting a find of €300 and no ban....

Works very well in new york..

How can that be? There is no such thing as random breath testing in New York, at least according to a NY-based relative who was amazed a few months ago to be stopped by the Gardai and breathalysed at 6am on his way to the Airport to fly home.

Bread and games work very well here in Croatia, as do opning roads, tunnels and trying to get an international football competition!

When people are stopped for random alcohol tests . .
I'm entirely opposed to the notion that a Garda can or should randomly stop anyone going about their business. Indeed, the Garda have too much power - thinking of the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994 here - and not enough man power.

I'm entirely opposed to the notion that a Garda can or should randomly stop anyone going about their business. Indeed, the Garda have too much power - thinking of the Criminal Justice (Public Order) Act 1994 here - and not enough man power.

Seriously? Seems to work fine everywhere else?

With the state of corruption in our police force, do we really want them having MORE power? I don't think so.

Seriously? Seems to work fine everywhere else?

Wouldn't have worked too well in certain parts of Donegal at various stages since the 90s. Ditto areas of Northern Ireland during the 80s & 90s

Hobbs and Locke, Theory of Law...All men are born free. Man gives up a modicum of his freedom to enjoy the protection of society.

Corruption in Donegal aside, guards being able to stop people and CCTV cameras in city centres are good ideas, common sense.
Only people with something to hide (subversive elements of our society) would be against such measures.

Let's look to the future and start an all-out use of CCTVs to prosecute and/or tax people who are putting a drain on our
health care system or crimes against the environment.

Letters to Way of the World
February 28, 2016

I welcome proposals by the Government to place a CCTV camera in every household fridge. How else are we to stop the forward march of clinical obesity?

The innocent have nothing to fear. Those existing on a balanced diet, including plenty of fresh fruit and vegetables, need not expect a visit from the health inspectorate. It is only those who flout the Government's health guidelines by stocking up on too many fatty foods - butter, clotted cream, full-fat milk, cakes, fizzy drink etc, etc - who will find themselves in court.

Those of your correspondents who remain opposed to CCTV cameras in the fridge are living in cloud-cuckoo land. They are the sort of people who, five years ago, would have opposed our introduction of CCTV in the car.

Yet today statistics show that this innovation has led to a sharp drop in seat-belt crime, and a 50 per cent rise in prosecutions for talking, whistling or singing whilst driving. The benefits are incalculable.

Three years ago, the Government's legislation to instal CCTV in every garden was almost universally welcomed by the medical profession, if not by some of the diehard reactionary fringe of the gardening community. With one camera for every 20 shrubs, gardening accidents - a terrible drain on the health service - were overnight cut by half.
But it has come to my notice that many gardeners are still kneeling down to perform some of their tasks. This leads to mud-stains on their trouser-legs, which in turn leads to overuse of the washing-machine - a clear disaster for the future of our environment.

The only solution is to place more CCTV cameras in the garden - say, one for every five yards of flowerbed. I would also strongly argue for the placing of CCTV in every household washing-machine. This would ensure that the police could instantly tell when items of clothing with preventable stains were being secretly washed, leading to the swift apprehension of offenders.

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/opinion/main.jhtml?xml=/opinion/2006/02/28/do2804.xml

Back