AAM Election Manifesto!

Where did I make this link? I never used the word corruption. Of course corruption had nothing to do with John Carthy's death. However it is ludicrous to suggest that the Abbeylara siege in which Carthy died did not involve serious errors on the part of at least some elements in the Garda Siochana. The powers given to police forces in free societies are generally subject to restrictions on the basis that errors and injustices do sometimes occur when police forces enjoy unlimited powers. I don't think it is in any way cynical, lazy or offensive to make this rather obvious point.

Ubiquitous,

In my opinion by listing John Carthy's name with victims of Garda Corruption in Donegal and elsewhere you have linked his death with corruption in the force.

Over the last five years, a number of commentators on the national airwaves have mentioned Abbeylara and Donegal, or the Barr and Morris Tribunals as if they were investigating the same type of event. This is nonsense. Donegal was a case of clear corruption, where people were framed for crimes by members of a force who in their opinion were above the law. This was exacerbated by the Garda policy of promoting senior officers to the rank of Superindenent and above and transferring them to the likes of Donegal/Mayo/Kerry for short periods of 6 to 18 months. This meant that those in situ for long periods of time had little or no effective supervision, as those who were supposed to be supervising never settled in their role.

Abbeylara had nothing to do with corruption. The Gardai involved in that case did their level best to keep that man alive. A lack of experience on the part of those involved probably contributed to the error of having the unarmed second cordon of officers too near the scene. That being said if the senior officers had stationed themselves a mile away from the scene, they would have been accused of cowardice. The lack of experience comes from the fact that drawn out siege's like this do not happen too often. At the time of abbeylara, no serving member of the force had been involved in a long term siege of that nature, therefore there was no more experienced staff available. The recommendation on the use of less than lethal weaponry was shown to be a failure in Gort last year, when they shot the guy with the beanbags, and they had no effect.

My basic point is that these two events are in no way similar, and that care should be taken to differentiate between them if it is necessary to include them on any list together.

I appreciate that this comment has nothing to do with the original posters question.

Past30

My basic point is that these two events are in no way similar, and that care should be taken to differentiate between them if it is necessary to include them on any list together.

I disagree -the Donegal shenanigans & the Abbeylara tragedy (along with the other cases I listed) each involved serious operational failures (or apparent failures) on the part of at least some elements in the Garda Siochana. At a very basic level, both cases were slmost uniquely similar on the basis that both were deemed to be of sufficiently serious public concern that the Government established respective Tribunals of Inquiry.

As such, each case is highly relevant to the issue of Gardai powers and accountability (two sides of the same coin, in my opinion).

Once again, I make no suggestion that the deaths of John Carthy, Brian Rossiter or Peter Matthews and the plight of Joanne Hayes, had anything to do with corruption in the Gardai, either of a localised nature as in Donegal or in general.

I can only surmise as to your motives for implying that I said otherwise.

3) Any government IT project to be held to the same rules as those in the private domain. If it's been outsourced to a private company and doesn't work, they don't get paid.
If only life was that simple. What happens when the system works perfectly to spec (the spec that was written by another set of outsourced consultants), but still doesn't work. What happens when the system works perfectly to spec, but the degree of organisational change required to implement the system is not appreciated by management (e.g. PPARS)? What happens when the system works to spec, but there was no real cost/benefit evaluation done before commissioning (e.g. eVoting)?

1. Proper accountability of the actions of the Gardai.
2. End of self regulation for the legal profession. Introduction of statutory state body to regulate the actions of members of the legal profession.
3. ASAI to be put on a statuatory footing so the likes of Ryanair can't continue to ignore them. Or else place under the remit of the BCI.

Am I the only one that still see's obtaining a 32 county Irish republic and increased links with the those in the North as still being a major issue?

If only life was that simple. What happens when the system works perfectly to spec (the spec that was written by another set of outsourced consultants), but still doesn't work. What happens when the system works perfectly to spec, but the degree of organisational change required to implement the system is not appreciated by management (e.g. PPARS)? What happens when the system works to spec, but there was no real cost/benefit evaluation done before commissioning (e.g. eVoting)?
If you're going to outsource it, you do it at the top level to a firm that will project manage it. They are responsible for establishing requirements, writing the specs, and providing a finished system. If they want to outsouirce the coding to a third party, that's their choice. That way, you have one set of consultants responsible for the entire project, and they are held responsible for its success.

If you're going to outsource it, you do it at the top level to a firm that will project manage it. They are responsible for establishing requirements, writing the specs, and providing a finished system. If they want to outsouirce the coding to a third party, that's their choice. That way, you have one set of consultants responsible for the entire project, and they are held responsible for its success.
But then you ahve to get the unions to accept the changes to work practice without looking for more money. That's just not in their nature.

Reform motor taxes:

Reform VRT so that safe, fuel-efficient cars pay much less, e.g. 0% or 10%, and less safe, high emission cars pay more.

Either abolish motor tax, or reform it as above.

Increase fuel duty by 20c per litre.

All the above to be designed to not take any more tax from motorists, just reform how they pay it, more linked to the environment.

Simplify and reform the income tax/PRSI system:

Three tax rates: 20-30-40%
Index-link the tax bands and basic tax credits.
Abolish the trade union and service charges tax credits.
Abolish mortgage interest tax relief.
Abolish most, if not all, property tax incentive schemes.

Merge the helath contribution with PRSI.
Simplify the PRSI rates, thresholds, etc.

Indirect taxes:
Cut the lower rate of VAT from 13.5% to 10%.
Abolish VAT on environmental issues.
Maybe tax high fat foods?

Much more competition across the economy, especially in pubs, pharmacies, electricity, etc.

Continued investment in public transport.

Go ahead with the current five extensions to the Luas network.
Build new tram lines.
Complete the rail link to the airport.
Build the rail tunnel linking Heuston with St. Stephen's Green.
Electrify all commuter lines around Dublin, expand the DART to all lines.

Intergrated fares and ticketing.

Massive increases in speeds required across the national rail network.

Implement congestion charging / road pricing in Dublin. Pay to cross the M50 (no toll along M50).

Education:

More investment in primary schools.

Re-introduce third-level fees.

Again, real life just isn't that simple. At the outset (before you have established the requirements), you really don't know what you are outsourcing. Therefore, no supplier will enter a fixed price contract for the complete project. And if you are tied in to one supplier on a T&M contract, the supplier has you over a barrell.

In all fairness, if you think this is the right way to manage major IT projects, you can't throw stones at any public sector projects.

Am I the only one that still see's obtaining a 32 county Irish republic and increased links with the those in the North as still being a major issue?
A united Ireland is something that will not be good. Frankly, It scares the bejaysus out of me just thinking of the prospect. I shall be leaving Ireland promptly if it ever came to pass.

A united Ireland is something that will not be good. Frankly, It scares the bejaysus out of me just thinking of the prospect. I shall be leaving Ireland promptly if it ever came to pass.

I'd be following. Subventions to NI are around the €7.5 billion mark. Can imagine the tax burden we would be inflicted with trying to match that? That's before any political considerations ...

How does adding a third tax band simplify things? I don’t think it’s a good idea.
I agree with the rest.

Indirect taxes:
All good but how is the lost tax revenue going to be made up?

Much more competition across the economy, especially in pubs, pharmacies, electricity, etc.
Pubs are loosing money. The reason we have high prices is because of high rents (due to high property prices), high insurance and high minimum wages.

Build new tram lines.

Implement congestion charging / road pricing in Dublin. Pay to cross the M50 (no toll along M50).
All good ideas. How much will it cost? I agree with congestion charges but only after the rest of the infrastructure is in place.

Education:

I also agree with these points. More investment in primary schools will help the poorer in our society. Any extra money should go into education for 5-8 year olds. If kids get a good grounding by that age they have a real chance.
If third level fees are reintroduced the income should go towards helping those who really need it, not well off families who, with a bit of planning, would have no problem sending their kids to 3rd level.

Reform motor taxes:

Reform VRT so that safe, fuel-efficient cars pay much less, e.g. 0% or 10%, and less safe, high emission cars pay more.

Either abolish motor tax, or reform it as above.

All the above to be designed to not take any more tax from motorists, just reform how they pay it, more linked to the environment.

Indirect taxes:

Build new tram lines.

Education:

Good Call Protocol - A lot of commonsense proposals in there - most I agree with with the exception of a few caveats - most of which Purple has already mentioned.

One other thing which I think is massively important seems to have got no coverage recently at all is pensions - in particular pension tax relief - I think that everybody regardless of taxband should be entitled to the same % of tax relief on their income when it comes to putting money aside for retirement - I find it bit hypocritical that a sizeable majority of the workforce who are currently without pensions are among the lower paid and it really isn't worth yourwhile unless you are getting the top rate of tax relief - yet the politicos and our betters are screaming at them to start pensions without providing any real incentive for them to do so.

My beef for the day.

I doubt if this will add up. Reducing VRT from 20%-odd to zero on certain models will mean it would be necessary to increase it to 40%-odd on other models, if the Revenue base remains unchanged. I doubt if this would be practical. At the very least, the govt could expect major competition lawsuits from certain car manufacturers and from the EU.

I thought the govt had already done this on a phased basis, several times in the past 15 or so years. As has the UK government. Higher fuel duty has had negligible impact on car use in either jurisdiction, and its only effect has been to enrich the IRA and other smugglers. High fuel taxation has also a perverse impact in that it incentivises the State to encourage more car use as the more fuel is used the more State revenue is generated. The same applies to tax on drink and cigarettes. Had the Irish Govt not enjoyed such a massive revenue boom in recent years they could never have afforded to clamp down on smoking.

Three tax rates: 20-30-40%.
???

Has this not already been done?

Merge the helath contribution with PRSI..
ditto

Cut the lower rate of VAT from 13.5% to 10%..

By far the biggest contributor of 13.5% VAT is the construction industry. Are you really in favour of cutting their VAT burden by over a quarter?

Abolish VAT on environmental issues..
As defined by who? Dick Roche? Come on...

Most high-fat foods (confectionery, sweets & other foods defined as "non-essential") are already subject to VAT at 21%

I'd be following. Subventions to NI are around the €7.5 billion mark. Can imagine the tax burden we would be inflicted with trying to match that? That's before any political considerations ...

Well I suppose money means more than anything else to some people.

Personally I think that it truely is a disgrace that many many Irish people have a blind spot when it comes the "Northern Ireland" - short memories I suppose

Personally I think that it truely is a disgrace that many many Irish people have a blind spot when it comes the "Northern Ireland" - short memories I suppose

Indeed. To the point that at least one convicted bomb-maker (Dessie Ellis) is widely tipped to be elected to the Dail next month and a convicted importer of illegal arms (Martin Ferris) is chastised more for an alleged drink driving incident than his involvement in IRA terrorism.

Indeed. To the point that at least one convicted bomb-maker (Dessie Ellis) is widely tipped to be elected to the Dail next month and a convicted importer of illegal arms (Martin Ferris) is chastised more for an alleged drink driving incident than his involvement in IRA terrorism.

"IRA terrorism" eh! Where the leaders of 1916 terrorist also? As for the actions of Ellis and Ferris during the troubles - what would you suggest the do - sit idly by (like many west brits or as I call them Free State Unionist) while the Irishmen we (in the 26 counties) sold down the river with the treaty.

At least they wernt cowards and had the balls to stand up and do something. But thats just my opinion.

I also agree with these points. More investment in primary schools will help the poorer in our society. Any extra money should go into education for 5-8 year olds. If kids get a good grounding by that age they have a real chance.
If third level fees are reintroduced the income should go towards helping those who really need it, not well off families who, with a bit of planning, would have no problem sending their kids to 3rd level.

So following this logic, we should reintroduce fees for 2nd level schools as well, right?

Back