A good day for democracy

Smoking Pipes

You all seem to forget that your beloved FF/FG are the product of your own civil war, and that both of them have blood on their hands too you hypocrites.

Nothing hypocritical about it. I don't care if the IRA never disarms or disbands. I do care that current SF members lie about their membership of the IRA and are as corrupt as any other party in the Dail, and more corrupt than most.

If FF or FG still had links to an illegal army and lied about it I'd be critical of them in the same way i'm critical of SF.

Or have you forgotten the actions of your hero Michael Collins?!

Not a hero of mine, although I respect *some* of the things he did. I doubt he would have lied about his past in the way *some* prominent Shinners do.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

Would that be a Peace Pipe, or a Pipe Bomb?
It's so hard to tell with SF.

-Rd

££

I think Dalton R put it best when he said "And whatever happens in the next Dail, I suspect FF will only be out for 1 term if that. The Irish people have shown themselves to be surprisingly gullible over the years."
followed by

"Whatever!!!! Wake me up when it's all over."
Thanks for that fantastic contibution to the debate you are a fountain of knowledge and wisdom a pure example of whimsical nothings we have in our society today , your insight into the intelligence of the country is complex and well founded......Taxi for DaltonR

SF

its lucky Ghandi wasn't around, you'd probably have shot him.

Grow up for fecks sake.

PIRA ruined 3 generations of Irish youngsters

Tell that to my friend Patsy Rooney.
[broken link removed]

Progress would have been made in civil rights if they had not give the British the excuse to do nothing.

HAH! Since when did the Brits need an excuse to do whatever the hell they liked!

I agree with John Hume regarding SF and their contribution to NI.

I happen to know John, and I respect him, but he is ultimately a politician and has his own party to sell. You'll agree with anyone who'll support your own viewpoint.

Also, what gave SF the right to come south and murder our Gardai - answer that one

SF don't have any arms and haven't murdered anybody.

BB?

Quote by Big Blue "I happen to know John, and I respect him, but he is ultimately a politician".

What does that mean ? , he is a decent guy however he is a polictician so expect anything bar integrity and candor?.

"SF don't have any arms and haven't murdered anybody."

Big Blue i feel that you should look through the SF candidates resume to see the criminal records and more prominently their IRA membership , Gerry Adams , Martin Ferris , Nicky Kehoe , Bobby Storey the list goes on an on.........

It seems that the anti governement / protest for Sinn Fein was mostly brought about by the lesser fortunate people in life, thank god that these people (SF) have no consequence in national government.

bagblu

Go on then,

Justify the placing of ONE bomb in a crowded street that will have children in it.

and don't say others do it so its ok

answer com???????????? question

please answer the justification question as I have never hear anyone from Sinn Fein give one - no rheroric or insults please

SF supporters should grow up!

Yes I am also interested in how one could justify the planting of one bomb.

Anyway we better be careful here or we might get our knees bashed in with nail ended baseball bats...

I saw a cartoon in a paper yesterday that, for me sums, SF up. It was of SF playing in Euro 2004. The SF intimidates the opposing player by whispering to him "You better let us win or there will be reprisals"

Re: SF supporters should grow up!

I probably don't know enough about this whole situation but my understanding of it would be as follows.

Yes...SF is supposedly largely made up of ex-terrorists and bombers. There is no justification for any of it, any of the bombings up the north and all the innocent lives that were snuffed out. Although I don't think that can be forgotten, I don't necessarily think it is the first thing I would focus on in relation to SF.
The political situation up the north is an ugly one at best. For whatever reason Gerry Adams & co chose to find a political solution to the problem up the north. There were a number of reasons behind this, I would imagine.
However, like it or not they are a part of the political future of the north, in much the same way as the loyalists are.
Down south, SF seem to have gained some support alright. I feel that they will always play a role in our politics. There's a lot of reasons not to want them there, I agree. But it doesn't alter the fact that they're there.
Personally, part of their vote was protest...but not all of it. They will always receive a fringe vote. Logic would dictate that they get stronger, not weaker over the coming years.

Logic

Logic would dictate that they get stronger, not weaker over the coming years.

When people realise that SF have no chance of ever getting into government they will lose a certain amount of support.

When SF are finally put on the spot by the media and forced to answer questions about their policies they will lose more support. The media have a lot to answer for here. Most interviews seem to degenerate into whether or no Gerry Adams is in the IRA.

A better question would be "What did Gerry Adams mean when he said that Ireland could learn a lot about education from CUBA?"

Ironically when McDowell said that the PD's needed to be radicaal or be Redundant, it was SF who took up that challenge.

Maybe you're in the wrong party Mick.

-Rd

Oh GOD I agree with rd

I hope this passes

Love the ITimes cartoon, if SF progresses, its not immigration we'll have but Emigration

Cuba has a lot to be proud of in terms of its educational and health systems. It produces more doctors per head of capita than most other countries.

On the flip side, it has an appalling human rights record, it's run by a dictator and it actively suppresses freedom of expression and practice of religion.

In short, it's the sort of place the Shinners have been trying to move away from.

u mean "move to"

but north korea would be more welcoming to them
especilly now that their club med (libya) has rejoined the int community

No , I mean move away from.

The lack of tolerence of religious minorties and the suppression of civil liberties are (among) the raisons d'etre of the Shinners.

So it's interesting to hear them speak in such glowing terms of administrations that are similarly oppressive.

Personally, I think it's typical of their double standards and "see-saw" outlook (i.e. taking the line that most suits their immediate objectives rather than applying any lone-term consistency).

Re: ..

I think whatever your feelings about the shinners are

The vote that they received may have been a vote aginast the current government (depending on your views)

But it was a vote for a party that most of the country would not admit in public 5 years ago

The stigma is not there anymore, is this not coming in out of the cold?
They are now acceptable amongst ordinary middle class voters

s f

Sinn Fein are broadly speaking NOT acceptable among most most people , especially better educated middle class voters. Why would a party of bombers, kneecappers and arms smugglers make a good political party ? If they gave up their weapons , then yes, ok, fair enough.

SF Loves Cuba

Cuba has a lot to be proud of in terms of its educational and health systems.

How the North survived a SF minister for Education I don't know. Perhaps they're better off without the Assembly if it would lead to [broken link removed] kind of education.

-Rd

c this article

June 15 2004

Back room: Adams could fear Workers Party fate
For Gerry Adams, the President of Provisional Sinn FeÂin, the past week must have been something of a prolonged, slow-motion punishment beating.

All week he was confronted by an insistent message from all shades of American political opinion: put a permanent stop to IRA activities and turn the republican movement exclusively to politics.

While nearly all political debate has focused on the need for the IRA to cease activities
little attention has been given to what political life would be like for Sinn Féin once the crutch of the IRA has fallen away.There can be little doubt that Gerry Adams has thought long and hard about this. And there can be little doubt that what he sees is not that attractive

[broken link removed]

very interesting article

According to the 1999 document "Local Power - A National Right", Sinn Féin "supports the idea of a local income tax". Anyone who pays income taxes,take note.

* According to the same document, Sinn Féin believes "there is widespread support for the introduction of a financial sector tax". Anyone working in the IFSC, take note.

* According to the party's 2004 prebudget submission, Sinn Féin supports a policy of reducing prison numbers and of "stopping over-incarceration". Anyone worried that policing of crime is already too lax, take note.

SF

Justify a bomb on a street? Why do you think I need to?
Because I support SF?

When has SINN FEIN bombed anyone?

Some members of Sinn Fein were IRA members?
So what? There was a war going on in the North and my community was under mortal threat. Not everyone sees them as mere terrorists.

Some of them have served sentences for their actions and paid their debt to society.
Maybe they've changed their views about war too during their incarceration. I doubt you care what they believe...you'll think whatever you like anyhow, but just so you know many others have different views, and for good reasons.

It is not Sinn Fein policy to plant bombs.
No Sinn Fein member is planting bombs anywhere, and if they did they would be acting contrary to Sinn Fein policy, which is of political engagement, not war.

PS I think a Financial Sector tax is a bloody good idea and long overdue. Also, Sinn Fein is supported strongly in areas where the Gardai have proved themselves totally incapable of providing law enforcement and security to ordinary decent people.

Back