A good day for democracy

Re: Cannot support anyone who supports violence...

Sinn Fein are the main reason there's a peace process in this country

They are also the main reason where there was ever a need for a peace process in the first instance :(

Re: Cannot support anyone who supports violence...

Nice one Tommy- and dont forget the 800 years of Oppression by our beloved neighbours. Ask anyone who lived in Northern Ireland from 1922-1969 was there a need for armed struggle!!!

peace process

SF IRA put back the peace process 20 years and that opinion comes from John Hume.

If they had not gone violent, the hard line unionists would have been exposed.
The British Gov would have been forced by in opinion to put democracy and civil rights in place and could not have hidden behind national security, etc

"Armed struggle Talk" .. Havent we moved on?

Hmm a need for armed struggle. How did Gandhi achieve independance for India? Through armed struggle ? Nope!

Im sorry but using violence to achieve a political goal is wrong (no matter who's "side" you are on). You cannot say that you are democrat and still have a gun in your hand for people who disagree with you.

It about time we looked to the future rather than dwelling on the past.

@

Sinn Fein as we all know are the political wing of the terrorist organisation known as the IRA , who commited many attrocities in the North and mainland UK. Politics and terrorist organistaionsin the same bed , you idiots just gave these guys more confiednce in there systems and beliefs whihc will do nothing for the peace process if it continues.

Yes "the political wing of the terrorist organisation known as the IRA".

@

Whataboutery is a futile exercise. Otherwise we may as well start asking Labour to account for Official IRA/SFWP/WP/DL arms. :\

u lads

this site is going to come in for some scrutiny when mary lulu becomes the first female tshock.

The colombian amigos may even call to visit

Redbhoy said:
"Ask anyone who lived in Northern Ireland from 1922-1969 was there a need for armed struggle!!!"

Have you ever been to Northern Ireland? My father lived here in N.I. (where I live) for most of those years. BTW we're from a Belfast/Catholic background and would never even consider support for such murderous actions.

come2ireland said:
"If they had not gone violent, the hard line unionists would have been exposed.
The British Gov would have been forced by in opinion to put democracy and civil rights in place and could not have hidden behind national security, etc"

In my opinion, this is completely correct.

Tommy said:
"They [SF] are also the main reason where there was ever a need for a peace process in the first instance"

In my opinion, completely correct.

sf

I too come from the north, RC/Tyrone and I never heard anyone of my family ever say or make a remark trying to justify a bomb going off in a crowded street/shop or the shootig of someone in front of their childred.

Shinners are great at using societies laws but don't give their victims a second chance.

And I don't forgive Dem Left/Stickies/Labour either for the misery they have caused 3 generations on northern catholics and protestants - they are what they are

Re: sf

excuse will be that they are bringing us into line with everyone else

You didn't have a problem with that "excuse" when it was used in the context of citizenship. ;)

Don't sweat the SF result. It will join the Spring Tide, and the PD's 16 seats (or was it 14) in the annals of Irish Politics.
This was a vote against FF, and SF benefited. But we're not looking and a shift in Irish Politics.

*Unless SF realise the potential they have here, and cut their ties completely with the IRA, stop the double speak, develop some sensible policies, and continue the community work they do (minus the vigilante stuff). * Then we might have something big.

It's about 50/50 right now whether we'll have FF/A.N.Other, or a coalition of FG/Labour/Greens/The Kitchen Sink, in the next Government.

And whatever happens in the next Dail, I suspect FF will only be out for 1 term if that. The Irish people have shown themselves to be surprisingly gullible over the years.

Of course when the Motley Coalition fails to deliver in all the areas that they've been criticising FF/PD, they'll have the excuse that they had to comprimise in order to keep all the government parties together.

Whatever!!!! Wake me up when it's all over.

The people have spoken
RD would say they are all nuts
But a least his shinner friends are doing well

They're not ALL nuts. The result is the will of the people. We'll see where it leads us. See you all back here for the citizenship X case in a few years time.

BTW, suggesting that I have Shinner Friends is the most insulting thing anyone has ever posted about me on AAM. Congratulations, I presume you were setting out to insult.
:)

-Rd

rd got sense 80% cant be all nuts

I said they(charlie) will use that excuse (which is hard to argue against)

Yep, looks like FG/Greens - 1 trick pony/Lab-DLeft-sticky next gov unless charlie can pull a rabbitte our of a bag !!!
Mabye Pat will sell out yet again and join FF

Still FF in opposition may teach them a little humility and remember the people

Re: sf

In fairness, daltonr (for all his faults ;) ) has always criticised the Shinners on these pages.

Labour Sell Out??? Surely Not!

Still FF in opposition may teach them a little humility and remember the people

FF have been in opposition many times. The thing that pisses me off, is this belief that by voting in the opposition you'll somehow change things.

After 1 term of Labour/FG and the general running of the country continuing as usual we get collective amnesia and FF get back in.

Mabye Pat will sell out yet again and join FF

I can't see that happening next time. I think He'd prefer to go to the country again rather than join FF in government. In fact I think he'd probably prefer a few more years in opposition rather than join FF.

I think one change that has happened is that FF have finally killed off most of the "FF Family Votes". Those who vote FF because their parents and grandparents did.

One FF activist on Live Line described FF as becomming a Brand rather than a party. And as a former member I'd have to say that sums it up very well for me.

I'm just surprised this result didn't happen in the last general election. But, I guess the electorate can only hate one party at a time.

-Rd

rd comment?

Yep, looks like FG/Greens - 1 trick pony/Lab-DLeft-sticky next gov unless charlie can pull a rabbitte our of a bag !!!

../

Well said Tommy, you took the words out of my mouth.
How anybody could support Sinn Fein is beyond me, after all the bombs, shootings and mayhems they and their followers have caused over the years. The fact that so many Irish people seem to be fooled by them now is incredible, and makes me a little ashamed to be Irish. Its a sad day for Irish democracy when a party is elected that has arms under the table.

SF

Go on then, justify one bombing !
I bet you have never stood in a street after a bomb went off.

C2I...my son, I was born in Belfast.
One of the earliest memories I have is of being brought up the Falls to see the remnants of Bombay Street in 1969. Protestant mobs invaded the Catholic street and burned every single last house to the ground.

That same month my best friend was shot dead by the B-Specials. He was in bed in the Divis flats when they drove throuigh the complex firing indiscriminately into the building. He was hit in the head. His name was Patsy Rooney and he was 10 years old.

Our house was in the city centre and I not only stood in the street after bombs, but before bombs and after bombs.

I don't need to justify any bombs in NI, for me it was part of a war to defend the Catholic people of Belfast and Derry against a State backed program of ethnic cleansing. War is dirty and mostly innocent people suffer, but contrary to your ideas that it was all unnecessary, and that the Stormont Government would have been reasonable eventually if they'd just been left alone and given their own sweet time...I say absolute rubbish.
The catch calls remain to this day: 'Not an Inch' 'Croppy Lie Down' 'We Have and We Hold' 'For God and Ulster'.

It took men with guts and integrity, Gerry Adams and Martin McGuinness, to lead the Republican movement away from war. If it wasn't for them it might still be going on. Ultimately it takes the men who fought the war to make the peace, and thats what they are doing...and doing so damn well they are making a holy show of the pot bellied red neck bribe taking yahoos of FF, and the hand wringing and pointless West Brits of FG. They've run circles around them all for the last 10 years.

You all seem to forget that your beloved FF/FG are the product of your own civil war, and that both of them have blood on their hands too you hypocrites. Or have you forgotten the actions of your hero Michael Collins?!

As to the suggestion that this is all just 'a blip'. I can tell you that you've lost touch with the growth sector of Irish opinion...the youth. They've had it with your tiired old political trash. And besides that, SF is the only All Ireland Party with clout both North and South of the border. The combined mandate for SF would probably exceeed that of any other party in the whole island.

Stick that in your pipe and smoke it.

not my ff

its lucky Ghandi wasn't around, you'd probably have shot him.
PIRA ruined 3 generations of Irish youngsters
Progress would have been made in civil rights if they had not give the British the excuse to do nothing.

I agree with John Hume regarding SF and their contribution to NI.

Also, what gave SF the right to come south and murder our Gardai - answer that one

and

J

ustify the placing of bombs to kill and maim children

Daniel O'Connell, speaking about Irish Freedom said " thouh the cause was a just one, it was not worth the death of as ingle person"

Back