10,000 people earn more than 500K

Status
Not open for further replies.
But these are estimated employment figures, I referred to GDP.
Apologies, I saw your comment re. GDP but wasn't responding to it, I have been responding to this - "there needs to be a better balance between the interests of multi-nationals and the interest of the more diverse indigenous industries, which is still mostly at micro level in terms of job creation.". My point is that at best 87% or worst 75% of people are working irrelevant to these FDI companies, so saying job creation is at a micro level domestically is simply false, and if you ask me there would be little harm done shifting the balance further towards FDI jobs.

Maybe I'm being a bit thick on your points about GDP, but you've said a couple of times that the Irish GDP figure is no longer an accurate reflection of the economy, is your argument that you want GDP to be a useful number to measure our economy again and that's it? Is this an accountancy purist thing :) or what am I misunderstanding here? If employment is high, income is high, inequality is some of the best in the world (but lots of work to do), quality of life is high etc. do we really care if "GDP is no longer a reliable measure of our economic performance" once we know this to be the case? Again if I'm missing your point please say :).

is your argument that you want GDP to be a useful number to measure our economy again and that's it?

Quite the opposite!

GDP is the international measure of the health of a country’s economy.

In most countries, GDP and GNP are closely aligned so that it maters little which measure is used.

But in Ireland, because of multi-national activity, such as the “on-shoring” of intellectual property to Ireland in 2015 thus adding it to Ireland’s capital stock, there is a growing divergence between the two, in other words between real and artificial growth.

Because of IP shifting and other self-styled multi-national activity, in 2015 Ireland’s GDP was revised upwards from 7.8% to a record breaking 26.3%.

In reality, it was nowhere near that, leading to accusations of “leprechaun economics” by Paul Krugman and derisory dismissals of our GDP growth by others.

But the distortion in GDP growth led to a potential increase in Ireland’s EU Budget Levy by an extra circa €380m per annum except for a government appeal to use GNI instead.

Most of the growth, artificial or otherwise, concentrated in Dublin. But even in Dublin, most people didn’t feel the benefit of any increased wealth.

As for those in the rest of the country, could anyone blame them for feeling marginalised in a period of so-called unprecedented growth.

Using GDP as a measure gives the impression that our economy is much healthier than it actually is.

In calculating the national debt, current & projected future shortfalls in the Social Insurance Fund and Ireland’s Stability Programme, to give just three examples, it is important that the correct measure is used to inform decision making.

In fact, the only poster I’ve seen mention the Stability Programme was @Sarenco, perhaps others did that I missed.

To illustrate, the debt to GDP ratio is projected at 66.0%, whereas the debt to GNI, a better measure that filters out multinational activity, is projected at 97%. – source, page 3 – leading the Finance Dept to caution “This highlights the importance of the Government’s strategy of implementing prudent budgetary policies designed to further reduce the elevated burden of public debt.”, policies that @Brendan Burgess has been advocating for some time.

It is difficult to fully iron out GDP distortion by multi-nationals. It was noticed worldwide in 2015 because it was huge but it happens to a greater or lesser extent every year.

I am not saying that multi-nationals are not important, but their importance to domestic growth can be exaggerated by using incorrect measurements.

Despite this, I regularly hear politicians using GDP in order to gild the lily. I suppose old habits die hard and there is a danger of their reverting to profligacy.

Last edited:
Thanks for taking the time to explain, now I get what you're saying! I somehow thought you were arguing that we should boot out the MNCs because they are messing up a line on our balance sheet and as a purist you didn't like that. What you've said above makes a lot of sense though and I'll keep it in-mind when thinking of GDP in future!

I've been banging on about using GNI instead of GDP for ages. Usually when people are using GDP as a comparative figure for relative spending on Healthcare, Education, Welfare etc. as if to suggest that we under invest in these things.

Hmm yeah they seem to block direct links to the article. If you use Google to search for "Ireland’s ‘de-globalised’ data calculate a smaller economy" the FT article will be the first result and clicking it from Google will let you read it.

Thanks Zenith63.
In my opinion all Government expenditure should be seen in the light of GNI; we need to realise how big the State is and how much of the State's wealth it controls and spends. There's nothing intrinsically wrong with a big State but we need to get away from the "We only spend X% of GDP on Health/Education/Welfare relative to other countries" etc. as a argument to spend more and justify bad services.

Yes, the problem with using GDP as a denominator have increased recently.

GNI is a better measure of our national income, yes.

There is also the new GNI*, modified GNI, known as "GNI-star".

There is also the new GNI*, modified GNI, known as "GNI-star".

Yes. Though it is still a work in progress as many economists are not happy that it fully filters out MNC activity, while some feel that it filters out too much.

But it has to be remembered that the reason why Ireland had to come up with GNI* was because of multi-national IP shifting, which added to our capital stock but contributed nothing to our economic activity.

Other countries are watching the progress of our GNI* calculations because they may have to apply it to measure their own domestic growth, which may have similar distortions to a greater or lessor extent.

Last edited:
I read a recent "statistic" from revenue stating that 60% of workers earn less than 30k gross...surely cant be correct?

I read a recent "statistic" from revenue stating that 60% of workers earn less than 30k gross...surely cant be correct?
Why wouldn't it be? We have a relatively young population and income potential in large swathes of the country is limited.

Why wouldn't it be? We have a relatively young population and income potential in large swathes of the country is limited.

Yeah thats true...didn't think of it like that. I just found it startling, so the majority of folk only earn €4-500 a week...id wonder how do they live with the cost of rent etc, must leave very little disposable income after outgoings are payed...

Mean earnings for FT workers are 46k approx, that includes irregular earnings like overtime and bonus.

Median earnings from Eurostat are 40k approx

It's not what one might think.

Revenue's figures represent all workers during the year. So revenue would consider everyone who works a single hour in the year as a "worker".

A student with summer or part time jobs. Someone who moves here in December is 1 worker, someone who leaves Ireland in February is 1 worker. The same as someone who works here all year.
If memory serves me right, the revenue's figures had 2.9million "workers" but this is 0.8million higher than the typical workforce i.e. those who are full time in the jobs market.
A 15 year old who works in tesco for xmas but goes to summer camp all summer is a worker.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back