€6.90 Pint in Temple Bar

Strongback

I was in a pub in Temple Bar last Thursday night with two friends and ordered three pints which came to the following price:

1 Pint x Heinekin €6.60
1 Pint x Heinekin €6.60
1 Pint x Draught Bulmers €6.90

Total €20.10

I was astounded and I must have been in shook as I did not refuse the drink and ask for my money back. We finished the drink and left the pub. It really left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Before I left the pub I picked up and read a few receipts lying around and could see the price of a pint of lager increases from €6.00 to €6.60 after 11.30pm.

It is well known that bars in Dublin increase their prices as the night goes on but charging 10 cents less than €7.00 for a pint is a new low (or high depending on how you look at it).

I know we can all choose where we drink but is it acceptable to have the price of a pint in Dublin ranging from €5.00 to €6.90 depending on where you go. It means you have to read price lists before entering a pub - bit of a killjoy.

It may work out cheaper to hop on a plane to the UK for a night out.

Correct me if i'm wrong .
But hav'nt the Vintners Association just announced a 12 months price freeze on all alcoholic drink ??

Temple Bar pubs have been doing this for years. All you can do is complain. I always do, on the rare occasions that I find myself drinking in that hellhole that is TB. No one ever listens, though.

A lot of Dublin pubs put up the price after hours. I was particularly incensed recently in Bruxelles pub, when they put up the prices after 11!

Seems to happen in certain Cork pubs too. AFAIK its automatically done by the tills. BTW, the VFI members knew what was coming the week before it was announced, that's when the prices went up and then they had no problem 'freezing' their prices. My local is a little country pub, pint of Bud is E4.10 which I consider outrageous, so I feel for you Strongback! Drink enough of it, then you won'tnotice the cost!!

I hate drinking in Dublin, was meant to go up this w/e but the youngfella got a bout of vomiting so i was happy enough staying at home wiping up peuch for the w/e!

Go drinking to the North - some great deals on drink around Derry and Belfast. You will not get ripped off like in Dublin.

You did the right thing. You left the pub and took your business elsewhere.

Pubs must pay a license (of €500 per night?) for each night that they stay open late. Some have to pay their staff higher rates after hours.

So it costs them more to provide you with a pint after normal hours, so they charge more. It seems absolutely reasonable to me.

They are obliged to display their prices. If they are not doing so, report them to the Office of the Director of Consumer Affairs.

Brendan

Eddie Rockets and Abrakebabra both charge more after 11pm as well. Taxi drivers charge more after 8. Restaurants have cheaper lunch menus than those in the evening.

I don't think it's the fact that they charge so much before or after 11 that has people up in arms. It's the cost full stop. When the cost of a pint is 80% of an hour at minimum wage (which many of the staff will be on) where is the money all going to? How much would a spirit and mixer be?

On a slightly related matter I was purchasing a bacon and sausage sandwich (hangover comfort food) from a shop in Grand Canal Dock. They charged me 10c over the display price (3.30) and the guy serving pointed out that his little receipt computer didn’t have the display price on it only the more expensive one. I pointed out that I didn’t want the 3.40 sandwich and he could have it back and since he had already made it up this was impossible. So in the end I got the sandwich for 2.50 as this was the next cheapest item on the computer. I think he was shocked that I pulled him up on the 10c and to be honest last year I would have let it slide.

As regards the pubs I have dramatically reduced the amount of times I frequent them. I have a real problem purchasing 2 drinks and not only getting no change from e10 but being asked to provide more cash. As for eating out I have found that many places overcharge for mediocre food. As with most people I have travelled to places where you would expect to be charged the earth for eating out only to find that it is far more expensive here than in most other places. I suppose there is a tipping point and we have reached it.

it's an outrageous price - almost parisian!

When, on the rare occasion I'm in Dublin in TD, I only buy beer in the places that are relatively cheap - the porterhouse and the palace spring to mind as being moderate. Gogartys is the worst for beer prices that I know of.

On a slightly related matter I was purchasing a bacon and sausage sandwich (hangover comfort food) from a shop in Grand Canal Dock. They charged me 10c over the display price (3.30) and the guy serving pointed out that his little receipt computer didn’t have the display price on it only the more expensive one. I pointed out that I didn’t want the 3.40 sandwich and he could have it back and since he had already made it up this was impossible. So in the end I got the sandwich for 2.50 as this was the next cheapest item on the computer. I think he was shocked that I pulled him up on the 10c and to be honest last year I would have let it slide.

Marks & Spencers in Naas tried something similar with me last summer, when I tried to buy an apple. I ended up getting the apple for 6c :)

Marks & Spencers in Naas tried something similar with me last summer, when I tried to buy an apple. I ended up getting the apple for 6c :)

Have some pity for the cashier - I have recently got involved in a POS & backend solution for a 800 store supermarket - you wouldn't believe what's involved, and how little control the cashier has.

Have some pity for the cashier - I have recently got involved in a POS & backend solution for a 800 store supermarket - you wouldn't believe what's involved, and how little control the cashier has.

I asked her to call her manager but she refused. :(

Thats Why People Are Flooding North To Buy Their Booze

Back