€6.90 Pint in Temple Bar

A lot of Dublin pubs put up the price after hours. I was particularly incensed recently in Bruxelles pub, when they put up the prices after 11!

This happens all over the country. Is there a link between pubs that give out receipts and pubs that increase prices?

I find that the pubs that give out receipts are those that increase prices. Is this to do with legislation requiring the displaying of prices?

Beer is ludicrously expensive in Paris, but the wine can be reasonable. We dont really have that option here. Also, in london, there is choice - not all places are so expensive.

Entertainment in Paris is expensive, but the cost of living is very cheap. In Dublin everything is expensive.

Entertainment in Paris is expensive, but the cost of living is very cheap. In Dublin everything is expensive.

one can hope the credit crunch will have a positive aspect and force cost reductions on the publicans - bring the price of a pint down to a reasonable level.Mind you, they'll argue the cost of their inputs is unreasonably high.. insurance etc...

Yes, beer in bars/cafes in Paris is expensive.

Mind you, if you stick to the local cafes, you can pay 1.80-2.00 for 25cl. Though that is hard to find, especially in the centre.

I have paid 4.50 for 25cl in the centre.

My other comment is about 33cl bottles.

These are for sale in supermarkets for 80c-1 euro in crates of 18-24 bottles.

Let's assume the publican can buy at 1 euro excl. VAT.

Add a 200% mark-up of 2.00 makes 3.00.

Add VAT = 3.65.

So pubs should be able to sell 33cl bottles at €3.65 and clear 2.00 gross margin, which seems a reasonable profit.

Why, on why, then, are 33cl bottles 4 to 5 euros in pubs?

Its called Greed! They have been screwing the public for years and getting away with it.

As another poser said its time to vote with your feet, I walked out of a pub recently because they were charging 50c more for a pint than another pub up the road.

If people keep paying these prices then the publicans have no reason to lower them.

Re: 6.90 Pint in Temple Bar

which ironically is now part of their reasoning for increasing prices...some people just can't see the writing on the wall

Please explain...customers are not buying, therfore increase the price???. That makes no sense. In business you compete for business or you go out of business

Please explain...customers are not buying, therfore increase the price???. That makes no sense. In business you compete for business or you go out of business

correct - but that's what the publicans have been doing for the last few years, otherwise why would the LVA be publicising a voluntary price freeze?

In the last few years the share of off licence alcohol sales vs pubs has increasing by something like 10%. Have pub prices been falling or even remaining unchanged?

why would the LVA be publicising a voluntary price freeze?
Have pub prices been falling or even remaining unchanged?
There is no price freeze really. Prices in some places change on a daily basis & even an hourly basis at nigh.
I would say pup prices have fallen the same as other property

I found it interesting that at the last budget wine was hit which people usually consume at home or in restaurants. However beer was left untouched. Also I doubt that the restriction in off sales had anything to do with social problems but more to do with dwindling profits in the pub trade. The vintners have a huge lobby and their fingers in many political pies.

On the subject of walking out of a pub or a shop for overcharging make sure you inform the manager that you are refusing to pay the high prices as the guy at the till may just say nothing. Also be sure to point out that in general a person will inform 3 people about a good retail experience however they will inform around 9 about a bad one and I remember hearing about that before the interweb so you could probably add a few zeros after those figures. I have no problem paying a fair price for any goods or service but price gouging makes my blood boil.

There is no price freeze really. Prices in some places change on a daily basis & even an hourly basis at nigh.

Hence my saying voluntary, plus changes based on time of day wouldn't technically count as a price incease.

I would say pup prices have fallen the same as other property

I wasn't talking about property prices

if I pay 5 euro a pint at 11pm & 6 at 12 thats an increase
I said Pub prices have fallen the same as any other property

Temple Bar pubs have been doing this for years. All you can do is complain. I always do, on the rare occasions that I find myself drinking in that hellhole that is TB. No one ever listens, though.
This is one case where the complaining really doesn't work. What does work is walking away, or not walking into those places in the first place. Vote with your feet.

I wasn't talking about property prices

How can you talk about pup prices & say you were not talking about property prices. A pub is a property & in the current climate the price of that property has dropped. Therefore pub prices have dropped.

How can you talk about pup prices & say you were not talking about property prices. A pub is a property & in the current climate the price of that property has dropped. Therefore pub prices have dropped.

I'm hoping you're being intentionally obtuse, just in case you aren't, my use of the phrase 'pub prices' refers to the price the pubs are charging for drinks.

This is one case where the complaining really doesn't work. What does work is walking away, or not walking into those places in the first place. Vote with your feet.
I agree!

my use of the phrase 'pub prices' refers to the price the pubs are charging for drinks.

Apologies, I would refer to that as drinks prices.

People might not have the option of going to the pub if 2009 iif things are as bad as predicted. THe publicans need to wake up.

Heres a link to the National Consumers Agency website which sets out the policy for changing drinks prices over the course of a night.

http://www.nca.ie/eng/Business_Zone/Guides/Full List/Licensed Premises.html

Two links one to an Irish Times article and the other from The Independent about price fixing sorry I meant drink price freezing.

[broken link removed]

Back