€6.90 Pint in Temple Bar

People might not have the option of going to the pub if 2009 if things are as bad as predicted. The publicans need to wake up.

Heres a link to the National Consumers Agency website which sets out the policy for changing drinks prices over the course of a night.

http://www.nca.ie/eng/Business_Zone/Guides/Full List/Licensed Premises.html

Two links one to an Irish Times article and the other from The Independent about price fixing sorry I meant drink price freezing.

[broken link removed]

http://www.independent.ie/opinion/letters/pubs-should-set-own-drink-prices-1565117.html

People might not have the option of going to the pub if 2009 if things are as bad as predicted. The publicans need to wake up.

Heres a link to the National Consumers Agency website which sets out the policy for changing drinks prices over the course of a night.

http://www.nca.ie/eng/Business_Zone/Guides/Full List/Licensed Premises.html

That's a good link from the NCA. But I don't see any mention of giving receipts to customers. I had a look at the Act and it's not there either.

There must be some reason why some pubs give receipts with drinks and others don't. Anyone?

That's a good link from the NCA. But I don't see any mention of giving receipts to customers. I had a look at the Act and it's not there either.

There must be some reason why some pubs give receipts with drinks and others don't. Anyone?

Probably just policy not to do so unless requested, most give receipts which usually end up left on the bar.

anyone remember the hoopla when the pint broke the £2 barrier? It wasn't that long ago...

You'll pay £6 in some pubs in London for a bottle of beer. And Paris? - MINIMUM €7 for pint beer and in most cases close to €10.

As for my local - €3.70

I would be very surprised if there are any pubs in London charging £6 for a bottle of standard beer.

If you go to an ott swish nightclub like Cafe de Paris or are drinking Harrods Tutankhamun Beer you might pay over the odds but I have never found anywhere round Covent Garden, which is tourist and nightlife central, charging over £4 for a pint of Kronenbourg.

In fact, I'd be annoyed if I was charged £4.

Alot of pubs in Dublin, especially in Temlple Bar, don't have to rely on your return custom to make a buck - tomorrow night there will be a whole new planeload of tourists heading straight for Temple Bar to sample its delights. Without the time or inclination to shop around they will pay the prices, have a great night and be off home a couple of days later, when the next planeload of tourists head to Temple Bar. When my American cousin is home she loves a particular pub in Temple Bar regardless of price. I spend the whole night moaning about the prices and don't return till she is home the following yrea. One day I will drag her out of the place!!!!

Wetherspoon's were to move into a renovated building on Caple St, Dublin 6-7 odd years ago, a friend of mine was working on the building renovation at the time. At the last minute Wetherspoon's pulled out. Personally I did not hear the official reason why Wetherspoons did not set up in Dublin. At the time we speculated that the vitners associations probably objected to what Wetherspoons represented. Wetherspoons would have shaken up pricing.

Wetherspoons can lack character, athmosphere and the craic of some pubs. Aldi and Lidl are basically sheds with pallets of product. We go to these places because of the good prices.

Wetherspoon's were to move into a renovated building on Caple St, Dublin 6-7 odd years ago, a friend of mine was working on the building renovation at the time. At the last minute Wetherspoon's pulled out. Personally I did not hear the official reason why Wetherspoons did not set up in Dublin. At the time we speculated that the vitners associations probably objected to what Wetherspoons represented. Wetherspoons would have shaken up pricing.

Wetherspoons can lack character, athmosphere and the craic of some pubs. Aldi and Lidl are basically sheds with pallets of product. We go to these places because of the good prices.

I remember something about legislation having been bought in to outlaw happy hours specifically to make the Wetherspoon business model unworkable in Ireland. They had to pull out at the last minute, losing considerable amount of money in the process.

Wetherspoons aren't great places at all. No music, no TV. The only entertainment is gaming and quiz machines. They open at 9 in the morning and get a load of alcos in at that time. Their food is frozen and then deep fried or microwaved. I have been to the one in Brixton in London which really is like a lunatic asylum.

The only benefit I could think in having them is that they would put pressure on other pubs to bring their prices down.

They open at 9 in the morning and get a load of alcos in at that time. Their food is frozen and then deep fried or microwaved.
Sounds very like many of the early houses around Dublin. Apart from the food which usually comes in a packet marked "crisps" or "peanuts".

Yeah, you've got a point. I used to work on Capel St. and see a few of the victims staggering out of the pub when I was going into work in the morning. I was told it was lads from the fruit markets who would be knocking off work at 5 or 6 in the morning.

I was at the darts in London between Christmas and New Year and went into a respectable looking pub in Wood Green, opposite the underground station. A pint of Kronenbourg was £2.19 and a pint of Carlsberg was £1.89. There was a decent enough crowd, a mix of ages and music playing. It wasn't a Wetherspoon bar, it was called The Goose.

There are cheap places in London if you sniff around but you'd never get anything that cheap in Dublin.

Yeah, you've got a point. I used to work on Capel St. and see a few of the victims staggering out of the pub when I was going into work in the morning. I was told it was lads from the fruit markets who would be knocking off work at 5 or 6 in the morning.
Most of the regulars I see hanging around or stumbling out of early houses around that area are basically dipsos and very unlikely to have put in a night/morning's work in the markets.

My local in Tallaght has had a promotion for the last three or so years, €2.50 for a bottle of Stella, still dearer than buying a box and staying at home but still sociable without breaking the bank! And pints of minerals and shandy are 2.50 whereas in most pubs you would be charged full price for a pint for a shandy (whcih is outrageous) or for two splits for a pint of minerals.

I was in a pub in Temple Bar last Thursday night with two friends and ordered three pints which came to the following price:

1 Pint x Heinekin €6.60
1 Pint x Heinekin €6.60
1 Pint x Draught Bulmers €6.90

Total €20.10

I was astounded and I must have been in shook as I did not refuse the drink and ask for my money back. We finished the drink and left the pub. It really left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Before I left the pub I picked up and read a few receipts lying around and could see the price of a pint of lager increases from €6.00 to €6.60 after 11.30pm.

It is well known that bars in Dublin increase their prices as the night goes on but charging 10 cents less than €7.00 for a pint is a new low (or high depending on how you look at it).

I know we can all choose where we drink but is it acceptable to have the price of a pint in Dublin ranging from €5.00 to €6.90 depending on where you go. It means you have to read price lists before entering a pub - bit of a killjoy.

I suppose the said pubs will argue you're paying the extra for the experience/culture/some other crap.

I like the fact that a pint is so expensive in temple bar, is a brilliant excuse not to go near the sick-pasted carpets, English hen parties etc. etc. What a total dump.

Actually, the price of a pint in Grafton St. sits around the 5:70 mark after 11pm. Much better experience altogether.

Back