Would you move back to Ireland?

Reasons to move back:
- ageing parents
- siblings and nieces and nephews
- friends
- be more settled (not feeling like a nomad)

I know a lot of non-nationals moving back to their home countries for exactly same reasons as you have listed. I guess that makes us all human!

I am a non-national working here for last six or so years. I have a family here (she’s Irish), above the national average income; stable job and I don’t mind the weather either (growing up in tropical Southern India, rain is lifeline and cold weather a luxury!).

However, I am now considering moving back for the same reasons as ‘ragazza’ posted, and to top it up, the long commute to work, relatively low salary (compared to US, UK or other ‘foreign’ places where I can find work), higher cost of everything –professional fees, crèche and such facilities, uncertainty about income, taxes, jobs and economy in general with the housing boom in mind etc, the extreme bad state of health service (can’t afford private, and can’t afford to wait for public – where as excellent and affordable private health care in affordable to Indian middle-class).

There are concerns about ethnic discrimination, especially when the global terrorism keeps coming closer and closer to Ireland, I am noticing a proportional increase in racial intolerance - because I look like one of them! It’s especially disheartening when I have already suffered a lot in another part of the world due to the same terrorist groups, and now I am being branded one of them! However, it’s not one of my major concerns at the moment.

Six years ago, the main reason to move here was the high income and the life in the first world. Today my priorities are changing. I can no longer have the lifestyle I want with my income here. I have a lot of respect for this country, but in my own case, its getting less attractive as time goes by, and I can see greener pastures to move to.

Reasons to stay:
- weather
- cost of living
- access to mountains for skiing, coast for diving

But Ireland has great mountains and coast :)

I lived in Australia for a while but found that lifestyle some people go there for wasn't everything. Moving to Australia for sun and barbecues . . . now that's shallow.

I try my best to live in Dublin on my own terms .. . I still feel like a hamster though. I think that the number of Irish people who have no connection at all to their own culture is really sad.

I try my best to live in Dublin on my own terms

Having lived in London, New York and Hong Kong for the most of 10 years, I think this statement best puts how you approach living in different countries, and what will change if/when you move home.

I found that you could very much live in London and New York on your own terms (in an almost selfish kind of way). You do your job, you get paid, and then do your own thing, whatever that may be. You don't necessarily have to care about politics, taxes, how things are run, etc etc.

Living in Ireland, you don't necessarily get the opportunity to live life on your own terms. And not necessarily because you want to become more engaged than you would do in London or New York.

Moreso because the way life is in this country, and because it's home, more things impinge on your ability to live life on your own terms. And in ways, that can either be good or can be bad. Plus, you care more about what happens in general in this country than an adopted home.

I know a lot of non-nationals moving back to their home countries for exactly same reasons as you have listed. I guess that makes us all human!

I am a non-national working here for last six or so years. I have a family here (she’s Irish), above the national average income; stable job and I don’t mind the weather either (growing up in tropical Southern India, rain is lifeline and cold weather a luxury!).

However, I am now considering moving back for the same reasons as ‘ragazza’ posted, and to top it up, the long commute to work, relatively low salary (compared to US, UK or other ‘foreign’ places where I can find work), higher cost of everything –professional fees, crèche and such facilities, uncertainty about income, taxes, jobs and economy in general with the housing boom in mind etc, the extreme bad state of health service (can’t afford private, and can’t afford to wait for public – where as excellent and affordable private health care in affordable to Indian middle-class).

There are concerns about ethnic discrimination, especially when the global terrorism keeps coming closer and closer to Ireland, I am noticing a proportional increase in racial intolerance - because I look like one of them! It’s especially disheartening when I have already suffered a lot in another part of the world due to the same terrorist groups, and now I am being branded one of them! However, it’s not one of my major concerns at the moment.

Six years ago, the main reason to move here was the high income and the life in the first world. Today my priorities are changing. I can no longer have the lifestyle I want with my income here. I have a lot of respect for this country, but in my own case, its getting less attractive as time goes by, and I can see greener pastures to move to.

So you are most definitely an "economic migrant", you have no attatchment to the country besides income and lifestyle, if they do not fit your requirements you up and leave for somewhere else. This is one of the reasons why there may be some antagonism towards immigrants. The perception is that they have no connection with the country and are only here for the money.

So you are most definitely an "economic migrant", you have no attatchment to the country besides income and lifestyle, if they do not fit your requirements you up and leave for somewhere else. This is one of the reasons why there may be some antagonism towards immigrants. The perception is that they have no connection with the country and are only here for the money.

Now, I think that's a bit harsh. There is a lot of us here, paying same taxes as you do, and looking after ourselves. He said his OH is irish, so there is a connection here. I came here just on hols, and then after falling in love with the country and (most of the ) people, decided to stay longer. It's been 4 years now, and counting. Not sure when or if I'll move back home, but I don't think that I am doing anything wrong to be discriminate for not being Irish. A lot of irish peolple are leaving all around the world, sure you should be a more understanding about "economic migrants", one lives where one can find a job....

Joe,

I am really not sure if you really have a point or just if that was just an opportunistic argument. I have clearly explained the reason to move here, and have also explained reasonably well that I have set up a life here, a home, a family and everything like average Joe (no pun intended).

I came here on invitation from an Irish employer, since they felt they needed my technical expertise here, and I am sure they followed the FAS / other rules before taking me in. I pay the tax, bills and obey the law and compete and work hard to win my bread. In fact, for first five years in here, even after paying taxes and PRSI contributions, I am not eligible most of the state benefits, like unemployment benefit, that you would take for granted. If you take a profile of whom you would classify as ‘economic migrants’, you will easily see that this class earns above national average, pays taxes above national average, and is a lesser burden to the welfare (because they are never on it). Irish ministers frequently visits India to canvas students to come and join Irish universities, and business delegations sets up recruitment drives to allure Indian IT and medical professionals to come and join here. I hope that explains I am not here because I jumped on a plane with a fake rag doll in a pillow stuffed around my waist or something!

Now, if we are clear on that, and if we agree that the ‘economic migrant’ works are legally here, lets just see what the Irish government is doing to keep them here. Honestly, from first hand experience, not a lot! I have to queue up at 5AM by the quays every now and then to get the visa extended, then a queue up again to get it stamped multiple entry etc are just minor annoyances compared to how difficult it is to integrate to the Irish social structure as a non-Irish. I won’t go on about that, I think I was lucky to meet someone I liked when I was here, and that she didn’t jump to conclusions like some people does, and her family can see past my skin color. We have a wonderful life and plenty of plans for the future (which includes buying a tropical island, and setting up tourism business there – no kidding!!). When I mentioned moving out of Ireland earlier on, that would include her too!

Having said all that, if I decided to move out of Ireland, that would not be because of the type of ‘hostility towards economic migrants’ here, but more because of the other reasons I mentioned – which is purely a lifestyle thing. People go where the jobs are, where they can earn a living and maintain a lifestyle they like. If you know someone moving to Afghanistan or something let me know – or let guards know, because its likely that they are not after money and lifestyle but something else. People don’t move away from where they are born and used to because of better beer! :)

Back