Working in the Middle East is like working in apartheid South Africa

I'd add that working in much of the Middle East is akin morally to working in Apartheid era South Africa. You will be benefitting from and contributing to a system that is grossly exploitative and repressive.
So What! - You're in the business of making money, don't allow the like of any kind of discrimination get in your way. Irish financial institutions discriminate in every way possible and have been doing so for years. All you're doing is what they are doing.

So What! - You're in the business of making money, don't allow the like of any kind of discrimination get in your way. Irish financial institutions discriminate in every way possible and have been doing so for years. All you're doing is what they are doing.

I must admit being impacted by this. Reading this at face value seems to suggest that ethical considerations have little, if any, part in one's decision as to how to make money. Maybe this is accurate. Maybe you are just honestly saying it how it is. Maybe, indeed, you are right. There's, nonetheless, something a little sad if this is the way the world really is.

[For the avoidance of doubt, I'm not personalising this or suggesting that this is your way, Leper, and that I have my, morally superior, way. On the contrary, your post has given me much pause to think. Thank you.]

Last edited:
It's one thing buying a product that may have, or probably does have, a ethically dubious supply chain. Think diamonds, electric cars or mobile phones etc. It's quite a different matter to actively profit from that exploitation. It is on par with the cotton trade during the industrial revolution.

If you work in Dubai or Saudi Arabia or Abu Dhabi etc you are doing the same thing as people who worked in, or sports people who played in, South Africa during Apartheid. In many ways those countries are significantly more repressive than Apartheid South Africa. If that's okay with people that's their business but they can't then bleat on about China or any other repressive country.

Where do you draw the line? Is human trafficking okay as long as you just have a well paid admin job with the traffickers and don't actually put the people in chains?

Is this still possible. 25 years ago salaries in London/The US were much higher than in Ireland. Working abroad for a few years and coming home with some capital was possible. I'm not sure it is realistic these days. Of course I am not as well informed on these things as I was.
Probably not possible in London or the US anymore in general but is in the Middle East if you are getting paid tax free.

I wonder if people who would refuse to work in Saudi had any issue with investing in/working for/profiting from American MNC’s while their government were warmongering in the middle east? Also, Ireland is fast becoming a hub for human trafficking with our non existent border controls. I’m not criticising anyone, everyone can make up their own mind - I’m just making the point that when you start taking the moral high ground the ground under your feet starts to shrink rapidly because every country and company has blood on their hands somewhere along the line.

Good God, first you tell the OP to get into flipping houses to make a quick buck, and now you're telling them to disregard human rights abuses to make a quick buck? It's totally ignorant to equivocate the human rights abuses visited upon people by some regimes in the ME and the "discrimination" from financial institutions. I appreciate that corporate wrongdoing can ruin lives but regimes like Saudi Arabia routinely hang people in public for minor crimes, or even living their lives. Dubai, Qatar and all these shiny hell holes have been built upon the blood of migrant workers and modern day slaves.

Fair comment, Takado - but what to do? Does it all get too complicated or, as I suspect, do we really not care that much?

Good God, first you tell the OP to get into flipping houses to make a quick buck, and now you're telling them to disregard human rights abuses to make a quick buck? It's totally ignorant to equivocate the human rights abuses visited upon people by some regimes in the ME and the "discrimination" from financial institutions. I appreciate that corporate wrongdoing can ruin lives but regimes like Saudi Arabia routinely hang people in public for minor crimes, or even living their lives. Dubai, Qatar and all these shiny hell holes have been built upon the blood of migrant workers and modern day slaves.
The UK, Spain, Portugal, France, Belgium, The Netherlands all built their empires and great cities by plundering the wealth of poorer countries and they all did more than their fair share of hanging. Does a city become “ok” when the pillaging and hanging stops? Do we have to wait a certain period of time? Will Dubai be suddenly cleansed of its ills in, say 75 years time? Food for thought.

My point was that depending what country you are in, you will be considered the white guy, the rich foreigner, the Irish guy, potentially always get ripped off and taken for a ride wherever possible.
People will use their local language in your presence.
You would be subject to 'silent racisism' consistently in some places.
This all of course depends on the country.

Fair comment, Takado - but what to do? Does it all get too complicated or, as I suspect, do we really not care that much?
It just gets too complicated. Most people can’t see or don’t want to see their own biases. IMO everyone should make up their own mind and then disregard the noise.

Will Dubai be suddenly cleansed of its ills in, say 75 years time? Food for thought.

If they and their neighbours clean up their acts then great, they can be "cleansed of their sins". Germany has been "cleansed of its sins" of 75 odd years ago.

Also, Ireland is fast becoming a hub for human trafficking with our non existent border controls.

Border controls are very difficult to police anywhere in the western world. There may well be room for improvement in Ireland in this regard but I don't think their is any creditable claim that the state is deliberately promoting or profiting from trafficking. It is the illegal activity of criminal gangs. I can't see the analogy with the practices of several ME states in relation to basic human rights.

I’m just making the point that when you start taking the moral high ground the ground under your feet starts to shrink rapidly because every country and company has blood on their hands somewhere along the line.

So because perfection does not exist anywhere then all is permitted for everybody everywhere?

The UK, Spain, Portugal, France, Belgium, The Netherlands all built their empires and great cities by plundering the wealth of poorer countries and they all did more than their fair share of hanging. Does a city become “ok” when the pillaging and hanging stops? Do we have to wait a certain period of time? Will Dubai be suddenly cleansed of its ills in, say 75 years time? Food for thought.

Yes, a city does become "OK" when they turn away from evil - that kind of seems obvious, no? The issue is that some of these countries are still carrying on in ways that are not dissimilar to the behaviour of those Empires you cite. Are you seriously suggesting that these things are too complicated because of what the Belgians did in the Congo or what the Portuguese did in the the late medieval period? Amazing levels of whataboutery if so.

I wonder if people who would refuse to work in Saudi had any issue with investing in/working for/profiting from American MNC’s while their government were warmongering in the middle east?
Equating companies which started in a democratic country with undemocratic police states is juvenile. Many of those "American" MNC's are headquartered here and as we have a policy of being neutral in the face of good or evil then using your "logic" those companies are in the clear.
Also, Ireland is fast becoming a hub for human trafficking with our non existent border controls.
Non existent? Have you ever travelled through Dublin Airport? They process over 28 million passengers a year and one bloke getting onto a plane without a passport was front page headlines.
I’m not criticising anyone, everyone can make up their own mind - I’m just making the point that when you start taking the moral high ground the ground under your feet starts to shrink rapidly because every country and company has blood on their hands somewhere along the line.
Not is you are an adult and capable of basic levels of critical thinking.

Reactions: Leo
It just gets too complicated.
No it doesn't.
Most people can’t see or don’t want to see their own biases.
In my experience most people are aware of their own biases. Maybe we mix in different circles.
IMO everyone should make up their own mind and then disregard the noise.
No, everyone should inform themselves of the facts and make balanced judgements based on evidence.
Anyone who refers to the Media as the "Mainstream Media" should be ignored.

If in doubt about a country use the "If I was an openly atheist and openly gay woman from an ethnic minority would I want to live here?" test.

I'd add that working in much of the Middle East is akin morally to working in Apartheid era South Africa. You will be benefitting from and contributing to a system that is grossly exploitative and repressive.
The workers exploited in the Middle East are mostly from The Philippines, India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, all democracies of one kind or another. They choose to travel to the Middle East because it offers them opportunities their own country cannot. The system is exploitative but many prefer it to the system in their own country.

No, everyone should inform themselves of the facts and make balanced judgements based on evidence.
Anyone who refers to the Media as the "Mainstream Media" should be ignored.
It’s not as easy as it was in South Africa apartheid times to occupy the moral high ground. Back then, you just avoided buying oranges in Dunnes Stores and you could go home feeling great about yourself.

The current relationship with the Middle East is much more complicated. For a start, the Irish government (and most other western governments) actively encourages trade and cultural relationships with most ME countries. Enterprise Ireland brings government ministers with them to lead trade missions to the region.

Those working there live in some sort of abject reality. They not only have to tolerate the culture there but are also very often the victim of abuses that, in this country, would see the aggressors jailed.

It’s a horrible culture that relies on the endorsement on governments worldwide to give it legitimacy. How can individuals seeking to work there to put together a few quid be expected to be morally superior?

Last edited:
The workers exploited in the Middle East are mostly from The Philippines, India, Pakistan and Bangladesh, all democracies of one kind or another. They choose to travel to the Middle East because it offers them opportunities their own country cannot. The system is exploitative but many prefer it to the system in their own country.
Migrants make up 90% of UEA’s workforce. Many are treated appallingly. Some are no better than slaves. The desire of one person to escape poverty is not a justification for exploitation by another.
The treatment of women, gay people and minorities throughout the region is appalling.
We need their oil. The rest is optional.

It’s not as easy as it was in South Africa apartheid times to occupy the moral high ground. Back then, you just avoided buying oranges in Dunnes Stores and you could go home feeling great about yourself.

The current relationship with the Middle East is much more complicated. For a start, the Irish government (and most other western governments) actively encourages trade and cultural relationships with most ME countries. Enterprise Ireland brings government ministers with them to lead trade missions to the region.

Those working there live in some sort of abject reality. They not only have to tolerate the culture there but are also very often the victim of abuses that, in this country, would see the aggressors jailed.

It’s a horrible culture that relies on the endorsement on governments worldwide to give it legitimacy. How can individuals seeking to work there to put together a few quid be expected to be morally superior?
It’s not that complicated.
It’s hard to know whether our spending is indirectly supporting oppressive police States.
It’s easy to know if we are deriving a tax free or very low tax income directly by working in support of and in a police State. An income that is only low or no tax because of the oppressive and exploitative nature of the place we are choosing to work.

The issue in South Africa was simpler but also simplistic in that there were (and are) plenty of other African countries where a minority tribe dominated and controlled the country but since they were all the same colour we didn’t care enough to be bothered to understand the history or politics of the situation. Armchair virtue signalling and easy shopping choices, coupled with the odd Amnesty International T-shirt, made us all feel right-on.

We have choices in life. Choosing to be blissfully ignorant in order to avoid the moral consequences of our decisions is a choice.

This is ‘wokeness’ gone mad. Apartheid South Africa was an international pariah and the country had sanctions opposed against it.

Countries in the Middle East such as the UAE or Qatar are completely different. They are respected members of the international community and trading partners of ours. They have not been sanctioned. They are sovereign states with their own religious ideology. Just because it doesn’t rhyme with the woke trans nonsense etc that we’re all being hit with, some people want to brand them as some sort of rogue states.

If countries such as ours blacklist them or introduce sanctions against them, I’ll change my view, but until then if people want to work or holiday in such places, more power to them.

Back