Woodfield, Knocklyon/Rathfarnham

sophie01

Hello

Am going for a second viewing this week to see a house in woodfield - really nice house and ticks all boxes. I just wanted some second opinions on here - I am from Rathfarnham originally and would have considered Woodfield as Knocklyon but (of course) the estate agent has described it as Rathfarnham as it is on the Scholarstown Road. Both are Dublin 16 so just wondering if anyone from the area could give me the official postal address you would use or does it make any difference.
Also any feedback on the estate welcome, i always thought it was a lovely area and seems quiet and mature so anything that can confirm or change this opinion is welcome.
thanks

Hi, have looked at a couple of houses in that estate myself. It's certainly a nice estate. It seems to be officially in Rathfarnham but its obviously a lot closer to the centre of Knocklyon than to Rathfarnham village. In fact, Knocklyon Community School is right beside you as you drive in!

One thing to consider would be that planning permission has been granted for 100s of houses and apartments right beside Woodfield - can be seen here on South Dublin County Council's website:

As a child I lived on both Scholarstown road and knocklyon Road, Scholarstown is Rathfarnham and knocklyon is Templeogue

Sophie1,
What are you on about,if you are from Rathfarnham,then you know the area.
Postal address is Dublin16 from Edmonstown sorting office.
I have been living in Knocklyon for the last 19 years and originally hailed from Rathfarnham,as you know just a mile or so away,and absolutly love the area.
It has all anybody can ask for,good schools,good shops,good community spirit and all within a stones throw from the foothills of the Dublin mountains.
Very happy here.

I can never understand this sort of address snobbery.

I agree. I'm from Rathfarnham originally and now live in Firhouse, Dublin 24. The houses directly across the road from my estate are Knocklyon, Dublin 16. We both look at the same view, use the same shops and bus services but I would have had to pay about twenty grand more to buy one of those houses.

Hi Sophie01

I lived in Knocklyon-Woodfield Estate for 4 years before moving out-rented. I can confirm to you that the address we used- No... Woodfield Estate, Scholarstown Road, Knocklyon Dublin 16.
The estate is one of the best in Ireland and if you could afford to have a house or apartment will be very good. Quiet, loving people,friendly and suitable to raise kids.
However , any area can not be without blemish few known boys are located in this same estate but avoke they do is to burn your bin plastic. Area is 99% ok.
I hope this is helpful.

thanks so much for that info Dobbins - i wasn't aware of that and as the house we are interested backs onto this open space i imagine this is where the new development will be built so worth considering.

as for peoples comments about snobbery etc. i don't know how you managed to read into that - as you can see from my OP - I just wanted to know would i call it knocklyon or rathfarnham - both dublin 16 so no snobbery involved, just interested in the offical address. i am from rathfarnham so know the area but do not know the estate or what it is like to live there hence asking.

thanks to people like Dobbins who make this site so useful.

Its definitely Knocklyon - and its a lovely estate.

With all due respect, Rathfarnham is a big place...what about Stocking Lane which is further up the mountains or the Kellystown Road/Stackstown Golf Club? They're all Rathfarnham. Woodfield is in Rathfarnham, and the only people who seem to want to disregard areas or postcodes are the ones who live in "less desirable" parts. It's the "I live in Whitechurch and it's great", "Clondalkin is a lovely place" or "Dublin 24 is just the same as Rathfarnham" mentality. That's why there are price differentials-supply and demand. People want to live in certain areas. No real mystery.

knocklyons parish website lists woodfield as in knocklyon, as does south dublin county councils website and a number of estate agents.

knocklyons parish website lists woodfield as in knocklyon, as does south dublin county councils website and a number of estate agents.

The parish thing is irrelevant...parts of Rathgar fall under Terenure parish, parts of Rathfarnham in Ballinteer etc etc.

Yep now I know it just did not know the name. It is a lovelly estate, I would definetly say it is Knocklyon as well. It is very near Colmcilles senior school. I would always say anywhere right of the Roadabout at the top of Templeroan is knocklyon while Left would be considered Rathfarnham.

It is funny though because Stocking wood is considered Rathfarnham, Dalriada across the road is Knocklyon and Hunterswood across the road from Dalriada is considered Dublin 24 and they are all within about 500ms of each other. :confused: THink Stocking wood was way overpriced!!

thanks so much for that info Dobbins - i wasn't aware of that and as the house we are interested backs onto this open space i imagine this is where the new development will be built so worth considering.

as for peoples comments about snobbery etc. i don't know how you managed to read into that - as you can see from my OP - I just wanted to know would i call it knocklyon or rathfarnham - both dublin 16 so no snobbery involved, just interested in the offical address. i am from rathfarnham so know the area but do not know the estate or what it is like to live there hence asking.

thanks to people like Dobbins who make this site so useful.

Apologies Sophie 01. I didn't intend to imply that you were snobby. I was talking about the difference a postal code can make to house prices. Can see, reading back through the thread that my comments could have come across as a criticism of you. Sorry again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Purple http://www.askaboutmoney.com/showthread.php?p=574224#post574224
I can never understand this sort of address snobbery.

"I agree. I'm from Rathfarnham originally and now live in Firhouse, Dublin 24. The houses directly across the road from my estate are Knocklyon, Dublin 16. We both look at the same view, use the same shops and bus services but I would have had to pay about twenty grand more to buy one of those houses." Liaconn

Firhouse, TALLAGHT Dublin 24 :)

Back