Woodfield, Knocklyon/Rathfarnham

I used to live in an estate on the ballycullen road that currently has as its postal address: xxx, Knocklyon, Dublin 16.

But in my lifetime has had:

xxx, Ballycullen Road, Templeogue, Dublin 16

xxx, Ballycullen Road, Templeogue, County Dublin

and for a brief period:

xxx, Ballycullen Road, Templeogue, Dublin 6W

Postal addresses can change with time.

There seems to be general confusion about the Ballycullen Road. The mechanic who does my car lives just up past the two roundabouts but on the same side of the road as me, and his address is Knocklyon, our estate is Firhouse, and so is Daletree; the shops on the roundabout are Knocklyon and so are the Woodstown and Dalriada estates. Some are Dublin 16, some Dublin 24!!!! Does this happen in other cities, I wonder?

In the good old days when everything past Glenvara Park was farmland the Ballycullen Road was the boundary division between Knocklyon and Firhouse - everything on the Glenvara side was Knocklyon, everything on the other side was Firhouse.

I was of the understanding that although the road itself has changed (with roundabouts etc) that that it still the case - so I would class Glenvara, Rathlyon, Woodstown, Dalriada as Knocklyon but Daletree, Hunterswood as Firhouse.

But yes - there has always been general confusion on it.

We're in Daletree for last 10 years. When we bought the house all the advertising, legal packs etc had Knocklyon, Dublin 16 on them. We were none the wiser then but now we use Ballycullen, Dublin 24 because otherwise we will be waiting an eternity and more for our post to be delivered. I too heard that anything to the left of Ballycullen Road (as you head up towards mountains) is Knocklyon and right of it is Firhouse.

This thread started a bit of a debate going on our neighbourhood forum website. Somebody checked with An Post and their address verification tool has confirmed that the correct address for our estate is Hunterswood, Firhouse, Dublin 24. However, most people responding seem to agree with shellstar and just use Ballycullen, Dublin 24.

shellstar - its the Dublin 16 Vs Dublin 24 that would be causing post to get lost.

liaconn - there are cottages on the Ballycullen Road that were not considered part of Firhouse at all until it stretched so far back with Hunterswood and Daletree estates, perhaps thats where the throwback of Ballycullen, Dublin 24 comes from?

This thread started a bit of a debate going on our neighbourhood forum website. Somebody checked with An Post and their address verification tool has confirmed that the correct address for our estate is Hunterswood, Firhouse, Dublin 24. However, most people responding seem to agree with shellstar and just use Ballycullen, Dublin 24.

Just saw that I always use Ballycullen as do most people in Daletree that I know.

I suppose the property developers are responsible for mis-informing people in the first place, I live off the Old Court Road now and my address was presented to me as 'Ballycullen' when I was buying the place - I was like 'whaaaa????? its not ballycullen - its Firhouse!!!!'

A previous poster said she uses Ballycullen and Firhouse and Tallaght in her address. This seems strange to me. Has anyone else heard of this?

A previous poster said she uses Ballycullen and Firhouse and Tallaght in her address. This seems strange to me. Has anyone else heard of this?

More from the point of view of what actually gets delivered and the addresses people have used but Ive received a number of letters adressed Firhouse, Tallaght, Dublin 24 and I think my ESB bill comes to Ballycullen, Firhouse, Tallaght, Dublin 24.

I however only use Firhouse, Dublin 24.

And when in Knocklyon I only used Knocklyon, Dublin 16 although I used get letters addressed similiar to above.

Sophie01

If its the same house Im thinking of be very careful...Stocking Wood is a 10 year development and its going to be built on the land behind that back garden.

Look at the brochure on the Hooke and MacDonald website for stocking wood to try and make it out for yourself.

Woodfield is a beautiful area so best of luck.

3 beds in Stocking wood are now €510k and 4 beds are €620k. Big drops and very quitely advertised today in the Irish Times I have to say.

thanks for that newhomeowner - must check it out - although i went to view the showhomes in stocking wood last year and wasn't mad about them - lovely but small for the price. interesting to see they've dropped 80 grand though!
haven't made any further decisions on woodfield yet. no other offers on the house we're interested in so are taking our time and checking everything out - still have to pay stamp duty so it all adds up and want to make the right decision!

thanks for that newhomeowner - must check it out - although i went to view the showhomes in stocking wood last year and wasn't mad about them - lovely but small for the price. interesting to see they've dropped 80 grand though!
haven't made any further decisions on woodfield yet. no other offers on the house we're interested in so are taking our time and checking everything out - still have to pay stamp duty so it all adds up and want to make the right decision!

Its like listening to myself :)

We are looking as well and there is so much to consider when buying.

We werent impressed by Stocking wood either. For a 4 bed house it sure was a small back room. Couldnt even fit in a 3 seater couch in it. Can you imagine having kids running around.. they would have no where for their toys except their bedroom.

Also, the parking element bugged me. I know there are 2 designated spots but forget it if you want family and friends over. There are no path kerbs to even have that option like in other surrounding estates - prospect, woodfield, templeroan etc..

The management fees would add up over the years as well so Id prefer to hand over the money for stamp, not have to pay them and have of street parking plus room for visitors to park.

Happy house hunting and hope you get the property you are looking for.

Because builders got greedy in the boom time the made the houses narrower and taller to fit more in and now driveways and gardens, so your 4 bed has 3 beds on second floor and attic as master bedroom. What the builders forgot was people looking for 4 Beds have kids, why would a couple buy a 4 bed, they dont, unless planning a family.

The downstairs in Stocking wood was a joke, the previous poster was correct you couldn't fit a 3 seater in the sitting room, your kids would have no room to play. A good second hand house with " a driveway" and " a backgarden" is well worth paying stamp for and previous poster correct, add all those man fees over mortgage period and it would equal stamp cost.

2 and half storey narrow houses dont make sense for families. People in stock wood got a bad deal but drive into Airpark down the road if you can get down the road as it only fits one car they got a worse deal, if there was an award for worst built and designed houses it would win hands down.

Because builders got greedy in the boom time the made the houses narrower and taller to fit more in and now driveways and gardens, so your 4 bed has 3 beds on second floor and attic as master bedroom. What the builders forgot was people looking for 4 Beds have kids, why would a couple buy a 4 bed, they dont, unless planning a family.

The downstairs in Stocking wood was a joke, the previous poster was correct you couldn't fit a 3 seater in the sitting room, your kids would have no room to play. A good second hand house with " a driveway" and " a backgarden" is well worth paying stamp for and previous poster correct, add all those man fees over mortgage period and it would equal stamp cost.

2 and half storey narrow houses dont make sense for families. People in stock wood got a bad deal but drive into Airpark down the road if you can get down the road as it only fits one car they got a worse deal, if there was an award for worst built and designed houses it would win hands down.

Yes I agree. I know that residents in Airpark will argue they are happy there but when we drove past a year ago we were shocked at how many they squeezed into that small piece of land.

totally agree with both of you - we drove into airpark one day and were shocked at how bad the roads were laid out - i know people who bought there and i'm sure their houses are lovely but no way would i pay that kind of money to live there with no parking and narow roads.
we curently live in an apartment in stepaside and are constantly frustrated with the non existent service from the mgmt company, the huge mgmt fees, no parking for any visitors, clamping in operation etc...... so as a result top of our checklist for a house is also drive way, garden and grass verges with on street parking. think developers have seemed to abandoned these over the last 5-10 years - belermine, airpark, stocking wood, hunterswood, ballintyre etc...
i am definately prepared to pay stamp duty to get a decent house with drive way and garden vs paying mgmt fees - its just a mater of finding the right one as i want it to be a looooooong time before i pay stamp duty again!

totally agree with both of you - we drove into airpark one day and were shocked at how bad the roads were laid out - i know people who bought there and i'm sure their houses are lovely but no way would i pay that kind of money to live there with no parking and narow roads.
we curently live in an apartment in stepaside and are constantly frustrated with the non existent service from the mgmt company, the huge mgmt fees, no parking for any visitors, clamping in operation etc...... so as a result top of our checklist for a house is also drive way, garden and grass verges with on street parking. think developers have seemed to abandoned these over the last 5-10 years - belermine, airpark, stocking wood, hunterswood, ballintyre etc...
i am definately prepared to pay stamp duty to get a decent house with drive way and garden vs paying mgmt fees - its just a mater of finding the right one as i want it to be a looooooong time before i pay stamp duty again!

I think it depends on the developer - where I live now (in Firhouse) has all those check boxes ticked - but the roads are still narrower than older estates with the result that if people park on both sides of a road they end up causing an obstruction.

I fully agree with your point re stamp duty Vs management fees. If you think about it management fees really push up the cost of your mortgage - over 35 years you may also pay out ~35 grand in management fees.
To be fair though the big stuff included in management fees (bins, buildings insurance, maintenance) are reasonable and you will pay them individually anyway when living in a house.

Surely just Ballycullen, Firhouse D24? Is Firhouse not a stand alone area with Ballycullen being an adjunct to it?

laughed when I saw that this area was being called Knocklyon, but then saw the sign on the far side of the M50 beside the Woodstown apartments describing it as Knocklyon and heard that the recognised postal address for houses there and as far in as Rathlyon is Knocklyon.

It seems that the M50 created a previously unrecognised division that An Post, EAs and residents are still struggling with. I know that people would love to be able to claim its D16 but I think thats a push too far and now that the motorway creates a new boundary, its pure nonsense.

Maybe we'll see a campaign to create D16w?!!

Back