Woodfield, Knocklyon/Rathfarnham

A previous poster said she uses Ballycullen and Firhouse and Tallaght in her address. This seems strange to me. Has anyone else heard of this?

Surely just Ballycullen, Firhouse D24? Is Firhouse not a stand alone area quote]

That's what I always thought. But a couple of previous posters seem to think that I was being snobby and deliberately leaving Tallaght out of the address, whereas I have never heard of Firhouse and Tallaght being the same area. (And, as I said in my initial post, I'm from Rathfarnham so have grown up in the general vicinity and was not just relying on estate agent speak when buying my own place eg I knew full well I wasn't going to be living in 'Knocklyon' even though some people try to fudge the two areas).

My friend lives in Ballycullen which she has told me is a part of Rathfarnham so I'm just as confused as the rest of you!

My friend lives in Ballycullen which she has told me is a part of Rathfarnham so I'm just as confused as the rest of you!

Could it be a remote possibility that your friend is wrong?

Ballycullen is 1.5km from Tallaght and 4kms from Rathfarnham using google map .... (as crows fly - By road, it is even further away - )

Well what happened was that when my friend was buying she told another friend that she bought in Ballycullen, the other friend very innocently asked, oh is that up in Tallaght. My friend took great offense to this and said no it is not, that Ballycullen is in Rathfarnham.

So I basically haven't got a clue where it is, although my opinion is that its a nice place :) I did used to think that Dublin 24 was all Tallaght but I realise now that its not.

The only way I've ever heard of Ballycullen being anyway linked to "Rathfarnham" is that it is in the Rathfarnham Garda Station catchment area therefore patrolled by them. If you ring Tallaght Garda station they will fob you off to Rathfarnham once they hear your address.

I think the intent of my post there wasn't very clear. I was trying to slag off the previous poster who capitalized the TALLAGHT bit. Basically the deeds on my house say my address is Ballycullen, Firhouse. If I were to add Tallaght as well (which I have no problem with BTW if this is correct) it would make my address very looong! I'm thinking of adding Rathfarnham SW on too by the way!

I think the intent of my post there wasn't very clear. I was trying to slag off the previous poster who capitalized the TALLAGHT bit. Basically the deeds on my house say my address is Ballycullen, Firhouse. If I were to add Tallaght as well (which I have no problem with BTW if this is correct) it would make my address very looong! I'm thinking of adding Rathfarnham SW on too by the way!

Sorry. I thought you were having a go at me. I think the general agreement is that we're Firhouse, Dublin 24. Rathfarnham SW sounds good. Can I copy that if I'm ever selling? Should be worth a few grand!

Could it be a remote possibility that your friend is wrong?

Ballycullen is 1.5km from Tallaght and 4kms from Rathfarnham using google map .... (as crows fly - By road, it is even further away - )

Rathfarnham is probally one of the biggest Suburbs Geographically there are parts of rathfarnham at the back of Marley /columbas that are alot further then 4km from Rathfarnham.
Hunterswood is technically only 200m from rathfarnham as it seems to go up to the Roudabout where Stockingwood(rathfarnham) is. Woodstown/Dalriada are all considered Dublin 16 basically one side of the road. I know my daughter goes to Colmcilles (knocklyon) Woodstown is in their catchment area, Hunterswood other side of road is not. I would consider Ballycullen an area in its self or part of Firhouse D24.

The correct address at law for Woodfield is Rathfarnham.

I came across this thread on a google search, and while I see its old, nonetheless in case anyone else should also find this discussion I thought I ought to set the record straight.

As a matter of law, Woodfield is in the townland of Scholarstown, in the Civil parish of Rathfarnham. Nothing other than a change in the law can alter that fact. Knocklyon is a townland adjacent to Scholarstown, and not an area inclusive of Scholarstown. Knocklyon is not in the civil parish area of Rathfarnham, but in a different civil parish. The reason why Scholarstown townland is part of the civil parish of Rathfarnham relates to the history of the original estate of Rathfarnham.

The correct address at law for Woodfield is therefore Rathfarnham.

The confusion arises because the Roman Catholic parish of Knocklyon extends to several townlands adjacent to the townland of Knocklyon. But that is only a matter of RC church organisation, and has no bearing in Irish law. Likewise, for the Church of Ireland, the parish of Whitechurch covers the Scholarstown townland, but that does not mean that the area is therefore to be known as Whitechurch !

The townlands and the civil parishes to which they belong can be researched on the ordinance survey of Ireland website (osi.ie). Google wikipaedia to explain the differences between civil and church parish areas.

Lets not confuse Church and State. Enough mistakes owe their origin to that problem.

Stumled upon this...yep it's definitely Rathfarnham. See the "First Edition OS Maps (1843)" in the historical mapping section of the South Dublin coco website:
gis.sdublincoco.ie/historical_mapping/

Very interesting resource by the way!

Back