Why (the state) bailing out housing market is a bad idea..mcwilliams indo article

Re: Why (the state) bailing out housing market is a bad idea..mcwilliams indo articl

Wasn't suggesting 100% mortgages was a con. And neither is this loan offer from developers. Doesn't make either product a good idea though and plenty of people took advantage of 100% mortgages and I would imagine that there will be some people who will take advantage of this as well.

I agree, thats why I think people using words like 'con' lose the run of themselves.

Re: Why (the state) bailing out housing market is a bad idea..mcwilliams indo articl

we've been through this 'its up to the individual' argument before so I won't comment further

Every sales technique for every product on the market could be described as a con going by your use of the word.

Every sales technique for every product on the market could be described as a con going by your use of the word.

I know I said I wouldnt comment further but there is no way you can compare a commitment to a 40 year liability and buying your weekly shopping, for example, or most every day products.

This is one of the reason why we (supposedly) have far more regulation of financial services than retail, and thats before we consider the obvious informational asymmetries

It may not have been a con but it was reckless lending?

It may not have been a con but it was reckless lending?

Again I agree, I just think people making silly comments like using words like con and fraud to describe business practices that are actually legal brings nothing to any argument or debate.

Re: Why bailing out housing market is a very bad idea

People have to live somewhere. That is a fact.

That's true. Its also true that people have to eat every day to survive. That does not necessarily mean that the price of food will increase ad infinitum nor remain at unsustainable and unaffordable levels for long periods.

Again I agree, I just think people making silly comments like using words like con and fraud to describe business practices that are actually legal brings nothing to any argument or debate.

Considering con can mean simply an abuse of confidence, it could be used here. I would say its more like sharp practise, offering people inappropriate services, loans, knowing its poor advice for certain clients who are very likely to end up in difficulty.

I never used the word fraud and one of my major points has been if there was even a single brain cell among the employees of the central bank then 100% mortgages would never have happened (i.e. would never have been legal)

Considering con can mean simply an abuse of confidence, it could be used here. I would say its more like sharp practise, offering people inappropriate services, loans, knowing its poor advice for certain clients who are very likely to end up in difficulty.

exactly

Well I would consider it to have a meaning of deliberately misleading, I guess its all in the perception.

Well I would consider it to have a meaning of deliberately misleading, I guess its all in the perception.

Lots of ads are deliberately misleading, and you have to read the small print to see the catch. But not illegal.

Back