Why (the state) bailing out housing market is a bad idea..mcwilliams indo article

Re: [Article] Why bailing out housing market is a very bad idea

I take what he says with a pinch of salt

Re: Why bailing out housing market is a very bad idea

Perhaps he would like to enlighten us as to his "game changing idea" instead of playing the same old record every week.

Still, he earns money from the indo, for the same speech every week for years, so can't be that thick i suppose.

More of the usual from a lad who has been wrong loads. He says "Ridiculously, any questioning of the wisdom of more and more houses and higher and higher prices was labelled "unpatriotic". Well, I for one think it was unpatriotic and I don't think it's too much to say it was also the view of the vast majority of thoe on ask about money. But after whinging for years his prophecies have been fulfilled am I'm sure he'll be delighted taking all his money to the bank along with the rest of the liberal media. In the meantime the real heroes of Ireland, the wheelers and dealers who took a punt when people like Williams were telling them doom and gloom nonsense, now need our help and we should offer it.

In the meantime the real heroes of Ireland, the wheelers and dealers who took a punt when people like Williams were telling them doom and gloom nonsense, now need our help and we should offer it.

In that case they didn't really take a punt...it's not a risk if someone is there to bail you out.

In the meantime the real heroes of Ireland, the wheelers and dealers who took a punt when people like Williams were telling them doom and gloom nonsense, now need our help and we should offer it.

I'm guessing that this is a joke?

None of these great patriotic heroes invented a new product or service that benefitted the country. There are no Nokia's or Apple's generating cash revenue from abroad for Ireland Inc. All that happened is that one group of Irish people made a lot of money from another group of Irish people, who are now in debt up to their necks. Wheeling-dealing? Correct. Taking a risk? Hmm, maybe. But if you can let me know where you see the patriotism, I'd be interested to hear.

I just can't see my local brickie/auctioneer/solicitor having the brains to create the next apple btw, so what went on was no loss to our position in technology in the world.

If technology workers demonstrated some entrepeneural spirit that some of the building workers did, rather than happily being contractors or doing menial work for some multinational, we might have had some more breakthroughs. The "backpack" culture has done more to damage our standing than any building boom.

At present, irish tecnology graduates have too narrow a skill set to do anything of impact on the international stage, or the know how /willingness to implement it.(there may be a few exceptions out there, I know)

And lets be fair, none of you guys could name a second finish company without google, so ryanair cancels that one....

And lets be fair, none of you guys could name a second finish company without google, so ryanair cancels that one....

Finnair
Finlandia Vodka

aerlingus is bigger
and finlandia is owned by Brown-Forman Corp - yanks.

But don't tell the finns, or we'll be overrun by them!

Only one problem - speculation on house prices is a zero sum gain. It's just transferring significant sums of money from Irish Person A to Irish Person B. Net gain by the country, by irish society = nothing. If we wanted to be patriotic then we would have been investing in venture capital, start-ups and the like. What actually happened was that for every Euro that we invested into R+D and company start-ups, we invested ten into bricks and mortar.

Answer this: if the economy had boomed WITHOUT house prices having gone up so dramatically, do you think both as a country and as individuals we'd be in a better position now then we actually are?

Enterprise Ireland were running around all this time practically begging people to take money and start a company - there were very few takers.

There just isn't that level of entrepreneurship inherent to the graduates in Ireland now, as opposed to other countries.

Third level lecturer types are normally academics who have no idea how to grow this kind of desire in young people.

It’s not like there are a ton of people out there with the brains, desire and knowhow to justify a huge injection of venture capital.

Having said that, we still have a huge multinational presence, which was doing fine along side the building boom, and is still doing fine, and is the envy of many other countries.
While it's not the ideal, be glad that it's there.

Ah shure it's great to have an economy based on wheelers and dealers taking a punt.

The point of having a punt Charlie, is that you're taking a risk which may not pay off. And if you do lose, it might be best to suck it up and get on with it rather than crying about it in the bookie's office and hoping someone will take pity and give you a lollipop.

I remember McWilliams probably 12 years ago sayign that house prices in Dublin are grossly overvalued. I did nt listen to him then, thank God. He had to get it right at some stage if he kept banging on. And just to be clear, im listening to David now, and so should everyone else.

I just can't see my local brickie/auctioneer/solicitor having the brains to create the next apple
They might be able to use capitalisation and spell "Finnish" properly though:

I have worked under Developers, I know Developers, Developers are friends of mine, and I can confirm these guys are no heroes!

Some actually remind me of Horse dealers at the ballinasloe annual fair!

"Irish investment of €13.9 billion was put into European property deals last year (2007). In contrast, the Irish business sector does not even get a total of €200 million in venture capital investment." Finfacts Mar 3 2008.

Innovators never got a sniff at the money to make a difference.
Ryanair is a copy of Southwest in the states, not an innovator. Take a good look at Herb Kelleher.

We should not bail out the property sector or any other sector for that matter. This talk of taking a patriotic punt is nonsense. As as a country we should just let the market correct itself and get rid of some of the dead wood.
What doesn't kill you makes you stronger, right?

Ryanair is a copy of Southwest in the states, not an innovator. Take a good look at Herb Kelleher.

Nonsense. On that score, it is impossible presumably to be a software innovator as Steve Jobs and Bill Gates have done it already? It is possible for someone to be an innovator even if they don't invent the wheel themselves. Ray Croc of McDonalds is one prominent example. On the Irish stage Michael Smurfit is another

There just isn't that level of entrepreneurship inherent to the graduates in Ireland now, as opposed to other countries.

How could it be otherwise when, for the last decade enterprise was seen in Ireland as a very poor second to property speculation as a means of personal enrichment and success.

Nonsense. On that score, it is impossible presumably to be a software innovator as Steve Jobs and Bill Gates have done it already? It is possible for someone to be an innovator even if they don't invent the wheel themselves. Ray Croc of McDonalds is one prominent example. On the Irish stage Michael Smurfit is another

Good point. Incidently Gates & Jobs were not the innovators - they copied what they saw on a visit to the Xerox owned Palo Alto Reseach Center (PARC). Xerox management did not have the forsight to protect their inventions and foolishly let a bunch of "college students" tour the facility. Xerox are the company who invented the desktop PC, mouse, windows and desktop printer and didnt protect any of them. Probably the biggest mistake in business history.

I think anyone who took a patriotic punt on Irish companies by investing in the ISEQ should also be compensated. And eircom too. And taxi drivers.
;)

Back