Why, oh why, do ESB spend money on advertising ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Z

z105

I saw an ad on RTE last night, I think during questions and answers, for the ESB, now, can anyone please advise me why a semi-state company such as the Electricity Supply Board has an advertising budget when they are practically a Monopoly? Who are they trying to sell to exactly? Could the money not be used elsewhere ? say, to take down the cost of electricity for it's customers perhaps, or be used in creating an efficient customer services department which is deplorable?

More waste of taxpayers money :mad:

Last edited by a moderator:
.... used in creating an efficient customer services department which is deplorable?

Ive never heard anyone complain about the ESB's customer services department. Perhaps you could give a few examples of poor customer service from the ESB? Are they as bad as BT, Chorus/NTL for example.

No problems with the ESB, however I agree wholeheartedly with the main point, and wonder the same EVERY time I hear/see an ad for effective state monopolies. It might only be a few hundred thousand euros, but can anyone explain WHY the ads are necessary? Same for An Post?

An Post have competition though

Yeah, it's strange alright to have the ESB doing ads, don't quite understand it myself

An Post have competition though

Yeah, it's strange alright to have the ESB doing ads, don't quite understand it myself

They don't really, not for standard mail for the general public.

It's for all those people with gas lamps and their own generators.

I saw an ad on RTE last night, I think during questions and answers, for the ESB, now, can anyone please advise me why a semi-state company such as the Electricity Supply Board has an advertising budget when they are practically a Monopoly? Who are they trying to sell to exactly? Could the money not be used elsewhere ? say, to take down the cost of electricity for it's customers perhaps, or be used in creating an efficient customer services department which is deplorable?

More waste of taxpayers money :mad:
Good point!

Ive never heard anyone complain about the ESB's customer services department. Perhaps you could give a few examples of poor customer service from the ESB? Are they as bad as BT, Chorus/NTL for example.
Average pay in the ESB is around €80'000 (plus benefits) so for that I would expect the people answering the phone to be happy.

Average pay in the ESB is around €80'000 (plus benefits) so for that I would expect the people answering the phone to be happy.

Wasn't there a power station that wasn't running but had a full complement of staff for a year or more? Can't remember the exact details, but presumably these guys were happy enough to answer the phone, as they had little or nothing else to do...

No problems with the ESB, however I agree wholeheartedly with the main point, and wonder the same EVERY time I hear/see an ad for effective state monopolies. It might only be a few hundred thousand euros, but can anyone explain WHY the ads are necessary? Same for An Post?
Perhaps kickbacks from the add agencies for the big knobs in the state monopolies ?

So - does anyone actually know why the esb advertise on tv? any theories at all? I actually can't think of one reason why they might do it.

Presumably they were operating on some logic when they decided to do it?
anyone know what that logic was?

There's competition on commercial supply, maybe they're targetting small/medium businesses, whose owners doubtless watch the box occassionally?

So - does anyone actually know why the esb advertise on tv? any theories at all? I actually can't think of one reason why they might do it.

My only guess is that there is a particularly aggressive/ambitious marketing person who works for ESB, and has managed to get them to ear mark some money for an advertising budget.

I have had a big problem with the ESb recently which I felt was managed very poorly.

I found them very rude and condescending and was even more annoyed that even though I am unhappy with the outcome of my complaint I will still have to avail of their monopoly service.

The CER was equally unhelpful and a waste of time.

It's good they have the adds on ... I slept through the rural electrification and didn't know it was available...

I will send them a telegram first thing tomorrow...

cos one of the 80K pa monkeys in there has an advertising budget so has to use it to justify their existence, or else implode in an existential crisis ;) ?

Some class of relation of mine works there and reckons the 80K pa figure quoted understates the reality.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back