Why, oh why, do ESB spend money on advertising ?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I get it now. You don't actually want to know the answer to your question - you just want to jump on the anti-public-sector bandwagon - right?

How is it anti-public sector to ask why a company which has a monopoly over the supply of domestic electricity advertises to the domestic customer?

The health and safety aspect of the ads, as highlighted by ajapale, goes quite some way to answering the question.

I get it now. You don't actually want to know the answer to your question - you just want to jump on the anti-public-sector bandwagon - right?

Anti-Public sector bandwagon ? I've heard it all now ! If you can answer the question feel free, if not then don't contribute to the thread, please do not accuse me of being anti-public sector when this is completely unsubstansiated. Oh and please see posting guidelines number 10 :)

I understand why ESB would advertise to remind people of the health and safety aspect.

I just don't know why they advertise their product when we don't have an alternative, is there a reason why this budget cannot be used elsewhere?

Another few reasons why the ESB might do advertising.

1)Energy conservation. (Promoting insulation, reducing consumption etc)
2)Load Management. (Promoting Night Rate Electricity)
3)Competing with alternative home heating technologies (solid fuel, gas, oil, etc)
4)Encouraging bill payments by Direct Debit.

aj

I don't see how their ads encourage that.

I did a google search for ESB + advertising and one of the hits I got was a reference to an ESB ad campaign designed to get more people to pay by direct debit.

Direct Debit means our customers have one less thing to Juggle!
The Residential Markets Team in Customer Supply have just kicked off a major campaign to tell customers about the benefits of Direct Debit and to encourage them to sign-up. From our perspective Direct Debit offers us a means of reducing the cost of managing each account, while customers can look forward to having one less thing to worry about in their busy lives.
We're telling customers that if they pay their bill by Direct Debit, they've one less thing to juggle! Besides being easy to understand, this theme clearly reflects the three core elements of the ESB Customer Supply Brand - human (we care), simplicity (it's convenient and easy to sign-up) and efficiency (saving time).
The campaign, which runs over the next two months, comprises of a number of elements including a Bill Insert (Mar/Apr) and Direct Mail that will include an offer of up to 150 FREE buy&fly! points. The campaign will also feature TV, Press advertising in national press and banner advertising on prominent websites nationwide. To switch to Direct Debit, log onto [broken link removed], or CallSave 1850 372 372.

How is it anti-public sector to ask why a company which has a monopoly over the supply of domestic electricity advertises to the domestic customer?

Anti-Public sector bandwagon ? I've heard it all now ! If you can answer the question feel free, if not then don't contribute to the thread, please do not accuse me of being anti-public sector when this is completely unsubstansiated.

The problem with the OP's approach is that he really isn't looking for an answer. He is looking to rant about another public body. The OP's silence in response to ajapale's constructive posts answering his question is deafening.

I think I'll set up a post ranting about advertising spend by soap powder companies. It's a zero sum game - no-one buys more soap powder because they've seen an ad. Why don't Lever Bros and their ilk just take 35% off the price of the product instead?

Oh and please see posting guidelines number 10
If you've a problem with any of my posts, hit the red triangle, and let the mods moderate.

I think I'll set up a post ranting about advertising spend by soap powder companies. It's a zero sum game - no-one buys more soap powder because they've seen an ad.
They advertise in order to get a bigger market share (get people to buy their product instead of the other guys) as they are operating in a competitive market. The OP asked why the ESB advertised since they have a monopoly on the provision of electricity to the domestic customer.
Why don't Lever Bros and their ilk just take 35% off the price of the product instead?
Good question. I buy the cheap stuff from Lidl which is not advertised and so I don't pay for the ads (is it really 35%?). That's the great thing about choice and a free market ;)

The problem with the OP's approach is that he really isn't looking for an answer. He is looking to rant about another public body

And your proof is...?

The OP's silence in response to ajapale's constructive posts answering his question is deafening.

Perhaps it's because I don't spend all day in front of my computer, and I only logged in now?

If you've a problem with any of my posts, hit the red triangle, and let the mods moderate.

Indeed

Thanks ajapale for your reasons, but there is a current ad on RTE that doesn't seem to be promoting any one those, I've tried to google the ad in question but can't locate it anywhere (nor on their website).

They advertise in order to get a bigger market share (get people to buy their product instead of the other guys) as they are operating in a competitive market.
Nice theory. And when the other guys do their advertising too, they are all just spending huge money to bump up/down against each other, with no benefit to the consumer (apart from time to make tea or take a leak between shows). When I worked in the FMCG sector (health & beauty products), the marketing costs were indeed in the region of 20%-40% of the wholesale cost of the product.

And your proof is...?
Because you pooh-poohed the idea of making a simple phone call to get the answer. Far easier to rant negatively than to do something positive.

Perhaps it's because I don't spend all day in front of my computer, and I only logged in now?
He posted yesterday lunchtime. You logged in at 2am and had sufficient time to argue with me, but no time to read/respond to the actual answers.

I think AJ has answered the original question well.

Other than that, the discussion is wasting a lot of energy.

Brendan

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back