Why buy Renault?

I think renaults sell because the jap cars tend not to do what families need, ie: three back seats. I had to buy a scenic for this reason. I wanted a honda stream but the back seat wouldn't take 3 child seats. And its a 1.7 auto. The scenic i have is a 1.4, gutless but i'm not in the wrc rally. I always wished japs would take over french and italian car companies. Then we would have good looking cars that were RELIABLE. I had a 206 once. I replaced top gear cog, roll bar, front wheel bearing and drive shaft, gearbox, WHOLE BACK AXLE!!, door seal, brake caliper, brake discs. That was in 3 years from new. I now also drive a 92 civic with 274k on the clock and it only needs petrol and the odd service. Enough said

My other half has an Espace, his second one and he's ordering a 3rd one. He'd really prefer an Audi (it's a man thing!) but family of 3 = Espace. Not really into cars myself but it's perfect for long drives and going to parks with bikes etc for the kids, plus it's so big we can split up the kids so they can't fight and they're quite far back so we can't hear them! Means we can have a conversation without getting interrupted. We've never had to get repairs done but it's a company car so we wouldn't have to worry about the cost of repairs. Feel really safe in it on the motorway. Real solid piece of metal.

I wouldn't like to dismiss NCAP star ratings on any car, but I always get a little worried about people putting great faith in the fact they've purchased a car with '5 stars' and 'now the kids are safe'.

The safest car on the road is the one that never hits another one.

Just remember - NCAP full frontal test is carried out at 60km/40mph, side impact at 30mph, pole impact 20mph.

In a head on collision with another vehicle at 100kmh each, combined impact speed of 200kmh - the NCAP 5 star rating means nothing. Unless you're in a tank, both vehicles will be completely smashed.

Drive safe.

Good point Kendr, still more and more SUVs are being sold each year, presumably because "they're safer"....

Why do you need an espace for a family of 3 ??? Do Audi not have 3 seats??

Sorry I should have said we're a family of 5 with 3 kids. We travel a lot and the Espace can take a lot of luggage plus buggy, collapsable cot etc in comfort. Travelled to Ireland and able to bring in lots of wine & cigs and come back with teabags, bisto etc. Also to go to the park to cycle every weekend the Espace fits 1 adult bike (we take turns cycling), 2 kids bikes and buggy. Great to go to the dump once a year or if buying furniture can remove seats and it's like a van, easy to put in the lawnmower for service etc. When we have visitors can put in the extra seats and then 7 people can travel at once. Also great for going to the DIY store especially if buying something awkward. I have a very small car myself (Agila) for going to work & creche, schools etc, easy to park and 'just' fits 3 kids in back with child seats/boosters etc.

Had a 19 and now a laguna. Major problems: Key cards for laguna breaking at 260 euro a pop- any other makes that have keys breaking on a regular basis? Parts. example - There are three different types of brake pads for the front and no way of telling which one is fitted except take them out and bring them to the motor factors. The mechanic who services the car spends more time back and forward getting parts. Back window wiper only availabe form renault. Owners manual dosn't specify what coolant to use, so go to renault and get ripped off. After sales dreadful. This is the short list. Never again!

"Back window wiper only availabe form renault"
I got a replacement in local motor factors last week cost all of €6

""Back window wiper only availabe form renault"
I got a replacement in local motor factors last week cost all of €6"

Not from Halfords -not even listed in the books

It was safety for us anyway, the missus had a big say in it, and it was a cheaper than a Toyota which we would otherise have went for.

Cheaper than the toyota to buy first off but if you change every two or three years you would save a lot of money on toyota's. When you consider people are losing 15grand on scenics in two years!

With most other car manufactures bringing out 5* NCAP models, Renault better think of something else me thinks...

I always wished japs would take over french and italian car companies.

it's already happened, Renault bought Nisssan, hence the Qashqai being a Renault RX4 take off.............. and who hasn't spotted that that the new Nissan Tiida (??) is, in fact, almost identical to the Megane....??

And all those dci engined Nissan's are Renault-engined, too. Not necessarily a bad thing, as Nissan have had some pretty awful diesels over the years, and nothing to offer Joe Public (i.e., less than 2.2L)

Went car hunting yesterday with my well looked after 1.4 Renault Megane Authentique with 23k miles thinking the world was my oyster. Looking at a new Focus and ford garage only willing to give me 10,200k. They wanted 15k for new focus with my car. Headed to Renault garage. They giving me a massive 10,300 :rolleyes: for my megane and again looking for 15k. Car shopping so stressful and Happy Girl ain't so happy no more. No question here just venting of frustration but any observations would be greatly appreciated.

we have just got rid of a laguna that cost 3K in servicing and repairs in 18 months. never again would we buy a renault.

we just got rid of a laguna that cost 3K in repairs and servicing in 18 months. never again

I think the reliability issues and depreciation apply mostly to the bigger Renaults - depreciation hits bigger cars worse in general anyway.

But that's not to say that Renault depreciation isn't greater than most.

On the reliability, It seems that the Megane is by far the worst culprit followed by the Laguna. I suppose my point is bascially that amongst all of this, the Clio isn't a bad car.

why do people buy Renault at all (or Citroen for that matter)?

Looks
Safety (heavily marketed)
Gadgets as standard
Because they know no better
That ad where you have a sexy ass shaken in your face...nearly had me buying one until I realised it was a Renault :D

Dont mean to offend anyone, but my guess is that its pure ignorance and lack of knowledge that leads to so many people buying Renaults.

Their only USP in my book is their unique styling. Everyone has caught up on the safety front. If people actually took time to research what the car they propose to buy is like in terms of reliability used values etc etc - there are reliability surveys being published every few months, there are more car review websites then ever (honest john, peach or lemon etc etc), they might actually educate themselves to the fact that when you buy an Italian or French car - you are on the whole taking a chance with it.

Can't agree with that. Depends on where you do your reseach. For example:

[broken link removed]

Also, the comment about Italian or Franch cars is a bit out of date. Some of the least reliable cars are German (Mercedes and VW in particular), but because of their marketing (and historic, very different reputation) they manage to keep people buying them.

In light of all the above what recommendations would anybody make re what new car to go for. Do very small mileage i.e. 8kp.a. and looking for something along the lines of the size of the megane i.e. 24k approx.

Back