Why buy Renault?

Carpenter

I've been very interested in the (mostly) negative comment regarding Renault on this site and in the motoring media, which makes me wonder: why do people buy Renault at all (or Citroen for that matter)? I have a friend who bought a Scenic from new two years ago and has had nothing but trouble with it, now faced with changing the car the depreciation is horrendous. I'm not sure that the Renault dealerships are great either- expensive parts and labour charges seem to be the order of the day. Are there any satisfied Renault drivers out there?? It's a pity because the Scenic would be a great family car otherwise....

Renault Sells safety. That's why most people buy them. If you were in an accident and lived because the Renault had something another brand didn't. You can't put a price on a saving a life buy you can on a Renault.

Citroen like all other French cars, Sell high levels of comfort, People think there un-reliable, But they beat the germans hands down.

Renault sales have plumeted in Ireland recently. Dealerships are under considerable pressure to increase sales. Maybe Renault should look at the cars themselves first !!!

Have to say I love Renault cars - I like the extras that they have as standard....and that they're safe is important now too since we had our new baby!

Back in the early 90's I had a Renault 19 1.9D as a company car. I loved it. But never did convince myself to part with my own money for one.

I am trying to trade in my 2005 Scenic at the minute and the best price I can get is 1/2 what I paid for it, abosolutely horrendous. This is definately the last Renault I will ever buy.

I am trying to trade in my 2005 Scenic at the minute and the best price I can get is 1/2 what I paid for it, abosolutely horrendous. This is definately the last Renault I will ever buy.

How do Renault expect to hold/ increase market share with this sort of carry on?

What can be done? The car is only worth what people are willing to pay for it! Roy123 bought the wrong engine in the car he got. When your buying a new car you have to think what is going to help sell this when I want rid of it? If you just buy what suits you, You can get roasted! Buy a few extras and help make your car a little different, A polish every now and then wouldn't hurt. You have to bear in mind that these are all for usually carring a load of kid's, Which usually means replace all the broken stuff in the back and sometimes replacing the back seat cover. If you abuse or sometimes just don't clean a car it's going to cost you.

Last edited:
"But they beat the germans hands down".In what? trade in value or do you mean in the safety statistics? I'd rather be trying to get a trade in deal on a vw than on a Renault/Citroen;)

It was safety for us anyway, the missus had a big say in it, and it was a cheaper than a Toyota which we would otherise have went for.

I bought a 3 year old Laguna, because of price, safety and extras.
Resale price was not important to me as I bought it to have for 5-7 years.
At 8 years old, its getting more expensive to run, as parts are not cheap.
Wont be replacing it with another one, as the newer Laguna have a reputation
for very expensive parts.
Mind you, I hired one abroad recently and it was a lovely drive.

While Renault cars were the first to get a 5 stars NCAP rating year ago, competition have reacted and many manufacturers (incl. FIAT!) now have 5 stars NCAP rated cars.
May be time to create a 6th star to raise the bar.

So, buying Renault for safety does not stand anymore in my opinion.
Though, these cars spend so much time in garages that the "accident exposure time" is dramatically reduced ;)

buying Renault for safety does not stand anymore in my opinion.
;)

A quick peek on Euro NCAP site gives the non -Laguna drivers like me (obviously I mustn't care enough about my family's safety?) some comfort. Strange that the other marques don't beat their drums so much about their NCAP ratings??

A Renault probably wont do your street cred the world of good but at least you will be confident in its safety. I use to drive a laguna (company car) It was slow but I was happy enough with it. I dont think Id spend my own money on one though!

It was safety for us anyway, the missus had a big say in it, and it was a cheaper than a Toyota which we would otherise have went for.
Ditto. We have a 2 year old Grand Scenic (bought new) and really can't fault it so far, although now that the warranty is up . . let's see. We bought it because it suited our needs, was a handy price, and the Dealer we finally bought from was only up the road. We would intend to keep it for 10 years.

as not been a fan of all cars french mainly citroen, renaults arent the worlds worst,some parts may be dear but most of the stuff can be got at gsf for half the price ,the one thing in french car makers favour is the do make proabably the best diesels in saying that they dont make them easy to work on.
i am a mechanic and i can safely say my only gripe with french cars unlike the japs is they are so badly laid out mechanicly which is where the big labour costs come in and most mechanics shy away from them due to the heartache of working on them.
but alot of people dont realise all most of the new ford diesels and smaxs and galaxys and focus are using french engines so hope fully the This post will be deleted if not edited to remove bad language wont drop out of them ,
i dispice most french cars but i defo think i would take one over a vw or skoda or even bmw as they seem to be the most bland cars in the world and defo do not not have reliability on their side either.

Strange that the other marques don't beat their drums so much about their NCAP ratings??

For instance, Fiat's ad on TV for Grande Punto uses it as a selling point. Not that i like this car, but a nice Simple Minds song is played in the ad music and caught my attention.
I think they actually do in their paper ads.

I bought a 3 yrs old Renault Scenic for Mrs Mac when our family expanded from 1 to 3 (twins), and to cut a long story short, it has cost on average €700 in repairs per annum for three years. And to top that all off, I have been quoted.... wait for it ....€975 for the routine 40k replacement of timing belt and water pump, not including a service.

Steer clear, altough there is so much understeer you'd be hard pressed to do that !

Back