What/What Not to Buy at Lidl/Aldi

Jaysus, I think I'll try the baked beans just to see if they are really as bad as everyone on that forum are making out...just for experimental purposes of course!!

My son (13 months old) likes the beans out of Aldi, really they arent to bad at all.

Jaid

It looks great but what about those of us who have a crappy knife block already which they paid much more for (like me). Do I throw my old one out :(

Im too green to do it :(

Recently (4 months ago) we bought the sharpest knife in the world collection. We are amazed at how durable and sharp and cheap they where.

So I would say buy the knife set form the sharpest knife in the world company instead, you will never have to throw a knife out again.

I have notting to do with the above mention knife company, just impressed with there products.

Jaid

We bought cheap and cheerful Sabatier 'V' knife block in 1995 for about IR£20, have used them a lot and they're still going strong with the knives easily honed using an also cheapo Kitchen Devil knife sharpener. Similarly the cheapo stainless steel pot set that we bought in Arnotts for about IR£30 has outlasted fancier and much more expensive sets that others we know have bought.

Nothing wrong with Sabatier. The weapon of choice for several chefs of my acquaintance.
I know they do varying levels of quality & price, but they do have a very good rep.

Nothing wrong with Sabatier.
Yeah - but I think that these were the rock bottom of their range. The bloke in Read's on Parliament Street (the knife shop when it was open - not the pub!) was a bit snooty about them when we brought them to ask about sharpening one time. So we bought the Kitchen Devil yoke and saved him the bother of having to deal with sub-standard knives. :rolleyes:

Very popular around our way, those Sabatiers.

Anyway, six weeks and not a single post in this thread, eh? What a rip-off!
Well, check out special offers... (again courtesy of Nat King Coleslaw)

Not sure. Inflated advertising?

Or maybe it's for when you get tired of the "remote controllische toe workout"?

Chocolate !!

The German Consumer Magazine "Test" did taste and other tests on Milk Chocolate in Nov. and Dark (70% cocoa) Chocolate in Dec. , Aldi and Lidl were took the 1st 3 places in both reviews as follows;
Dark Chocolate - 1st Aldi /Moser-Roth edel bitter. 2nd Lidl/ Fairglobe-Ghana, 3rd Lidl/ J.D.Gross Equador
Milk Chocolate - 1st Lidl Fairglobe-Ghana, 2nd Aldi /Moser-Roth edel volmilch, 3rd Lidl/ Fin Care .

These chocolates got better reviews than other expensive German chocolate , than Milka or Lindt from Switzerland or Belgium's Cote d'or . England was not represented in the test , probably because Cadbury has so little cocoa content and so much sugars and vegetable fats instead .
pjq

I've just came across this site - a bit late - but this is my reply -- I find that most of the fruit in Lidl is awful - it looks okay - but to eat/taste -horrible :eek: -- I find Aldi's fruit a bit better -- but nothing compared to my local greengrocer :) -- I might have to pay a little bit more -- but it's worth it -- at least I can enjoy what I get

Got the Aldi cornflakes recently and they were horrible. Strong taste of corn oil or something off them and slightly oily texture. Not sure if this is normal or maybe a bad batch or something. Lidl and Dunnes ones are much nicer.

Just bought 1 Litre of Rasberry & Cranberry smoothie in Aldi for €1.49. Smoothies in Dunnes are over €5. It tasted fine too.

I guess its not surprising but if you like continental Christmas fare, particularly confectionary, then LIDL are excellent value. You can buy good quality lebkuchen and stollen, and Italian panetone, at a fraction of the prices that places like Magills were charging just a few years back.

Aldi organic smoked salmon was treated with great respect over the Christmas ! Very good value at 3.99

Bottled water is the only thing I'll buy in either store:D The bread from Lidl is not fit for birds. I do stock up on tins of sardines in cod liver oil at Lydl for my Rottweilers, something like 35c a tin.

Back