What/What Not to Buy at Lidl/Aldi

The Lidl vodka is nowhere near the quality of Smirnoff, Absolut, Boru and it gave me a worse than usual headache the following day. I have tried many of the white wines in both places, though never the cheapest in the range and found them all to be fine.

Oh and the pizza I mentioned is €1.69

kazbah said:
The Lidl vodka is nowhere near the quality of Smirnoff, Absolut, Boru and it gave me a worse than usual headache the following day. I have tried many of the white wines in both places, though never the cheapest in the range and found them all to be fine.

Oh and the pizza I mentioned is €1.69

I find the vodka has a strange taste to it, I find the lidl vodka to be undrinkable...... but I am a "Grey Goose" girl!

europhile said:
I would imagine that you would need an untrained palate for that.

It just tastes like pureed strawberries so if you like strawberries you'll like the strawberry vodka. Wouldn't touch the wine in lidl - tried it once and developed a rash!

Cahir said:
It just tastes like pureed strawberries so if you like strawberries you'll like the strawberry vodka. Wouldn't touch the wine in lidl - tried it once and developed a rash!

Thats funny! If I get a rash i put Stawberry vodka on it and it seems to clear up.

Things I like from LIDL

Tiramisu flavoured ice cream
Walnut flavoured ice-cream
Vitamin (fruit flavoured ) ice-pops
Irwins wheaten square (brown bread)
irwins muffins
irwins fruit soda bread
eggs, milk, mature cheddar (all cheaper)
cleaning products, particularly the W5 liquid for washing machines
fruit juices (especially the small 5 pack cartons great for the kiddies school lunch boxes)
Mineral water
peanuts
bags of hoppers (these are the same as peanut m & m's but only 99c for a large bag)
fruit and veg (cheaper)

Aldi frozen crispy aromatic duck with plum sauce and pancakes. You have to add your own julienned carrot, cucumber and spring onion but yummmmmmmm........

Lidl is great for toliet rolls ,10 roles for 2-3 Euro, nappies are pretty good also, but maybe not for night use, kitchen roll. Drinking decaf coffee from there as I write and it's pretty ok (de caff is never brill). lovely icecream in Lidl. Avoid the ham cooked in maple sauce from Aldi it is ineditible, threw 2 packs out last week. Agree beans are ****e in both. In both can't go wrong with cup soups, bol sauce, tom sauce, Fruit , Veg - carefully selected, fruit juice, dilute juice. Cerial is v good in aldi, Special K berry type stuff lovely for half Sp K price, firelighters also good in Aldi, avoid the electronic stuff, it's muck generally. Got a Tevion phone for 12 quid for home office , takes batteries for handsfree, better volume on the ericom one I had with no batts! Crap product and muffled sound. Both are good for yougurts and cheese. Tried DVD's from Lidl high failure rate - avoid (Octron)

DrMoriarty said:
<stuff about snotty milanese refusing to drink Lavezza>
So I told him to eff off back home to his Mamma!
You should have given him coffee beans and a pepper grinder, and told him to get on with it!

BenGinaShui said:
avoid the electronic stuff, it's muck generally. Got a Tevion phone for 12 quid for home office , takes batteries for handsfree, better volume on the ericom one I had with no batts! Crap product and muffled sound.
This is a gross generalisation. I and many others have bought electronic goods from both and found them to be as good as big brand name equivalents.

We tried the stirfry chicken recently at 84 pence abd thought it was would be good value at twice the price. Called something like Nasi Garong.

europhile said:
Aldi no longer does the Alcafe coffee in the black packs. Any opinions on the new products?

Sorry, I wasn't very clear. I meant the new coffee products.

Are you sure that they haven't simply rebranded the old stuff? They seem to have done this with many of their existing/old products to make the packaging look a bit more upmarket. Fancier label - same contents.

I got Cappucinos in Aldi and they were dire.

I bought Cappuccinos in Aldi last week and have had the mother and father of a migraine ever since. Got the same mad headache from their Irn Bru type drink last year. Beware ! There's some very dodgy additives in their products

Back