What/What Not to Buy at Lidl/Aldi

lidl bacon misshapes. 1.99 for more rasher then you can shake a stick at. Throw the whole lot on the george, chop up and youve got bacon bits with everything for a week, now who doesnt like crispy bacon bits? mmmmm

If god didnt us want to eat animals, he wouldnt have made them out of meat. :)

ClubMan said:
If you have an easier way I'm willing to learn but if it doesn't involve strong flour and yeast and proven dough then it's not a real pizza.

heat up oven to 180

Well for me, 250g flour, sachet yeast (or not, i cant see a diff and generally dont use yeast), pich salt, whirl it around in the blender slowly adding water till a dough consistancey (2 mins) flour table and roll into a circle shape,

bang on holed pizza tray and into oven for 4 mins!

Whip out and put sauce (tomato puree, or bolonagse sauce etc) + toppings (epepper, onions, sweetcorn) + a bit of cheese, sliced buffalo mozeralla (most important part to good pizza)

whack it back in for another 12 mins!! budda bing budda bang geourgeoooooooous pizza in 18 mins!

try it first b4 you comment!

A base made without yeast is not worth eating in my opinion. Even if fast acting yeast is used it still needs up to an hour to prove the dough which really means about two hours once preparation and cooking is taken into account. The only realistic way of expediting matters is to prepare the base and sauce in advance as mentioned earlier.

ClubMan said:
A base made without yeast is not worth eating in my opiniom.
Spoken like a true Napoletano.
However, I suspect you'll lower your standards, in years to come..? :p
[As in: 'Gimme one of those out of the freezer, thaw it in the microwave and stick some extra cheese/ham/olive oil on top of it..? :eek:]

ClubMan said:
A base made without yeast is not worth eating in my opinion. Even if fast acting yeast is used it still needs up to an hour to prove the dough which really means about two hours once preparation and cooking is taken into account. The only realistic way of expediting matters is to prepare the base and sauce in advance as mentioned earlier.
I presume then you have tried my recipie? :cool:

We can all talk about what we would and wouldnt do! But lets get factual, mine is quick and tastes luvely

BTW, inspiration comes from arabic flat bread! really good bread....without yeast, and countries swear by it! ;)

drop-d said:
I presume then you have tried my recipie? :cool:

We can all talk about what we would and wouldnt do! But lets get factual, mine is quick and tastes luvely
No - I don't tend to eat pizza bases made without yeast. Not to my taste.

BTW, inspiration comes from arabic flat bread! really good bread....without yeast, and countries swear by it! ;)
I never said that all bread should contain yeast. Just pizza bases. I have eaten Turkish flatbread pizza (Lahmacun) before but I just prefer Italian/Sicilian style pizzas using bases made with yeast dough.

Spicy bombay mix is really nice in Aldi for snacks, also there frozen pizzas taste just like Good fellas deep pan (spicy chicken) also chicken kievs, sausage rolls large ones for a pack of 4 for only 99cents,

Should there be a new thread entitled "How to make the best homemade pizza/what constitues pizza"?

There are for that sort of thing. Mind you, how seriously can you take the advice of a nation that invented the 'Hawaiian'... :rolleyes:

DrMoriarty said:
There are for that sort of thing. Mind you, how seriously can you take the advice of a nation that invented the 'Hawaiian'... :rolleyes:

I'm not really interested Dr. M, it's just that the thread has kinda gone OT from the 'what not to buy at Lidl/Aldi'.

DrMoriarty said:
Scusi... but I started the feckin' thread! :p

I recommend and ... :)
Ah feck off, it's public property now;).

So is good? I was sizing it up last week. I have a coffee machine but wouldn't mind something smaller specially for espresso.

Ahh, that espresso maker brings back a fantastic time in Venice over a decade ago. Gondolas, pizzas, ice cold melons in the searing sun, gelati ( of course) and admiring glances and comments from the Italien men ( not hard to get in Italy). And of course, hours spent dawdling at pavement cafes, arguing politics, literature and art ( not that we had a clue). All fragranced by espresso...I bought one of those pots at a market and brought it home, sure I could bring that authentic taste home. But it was never the same...the real ones are years old and embued with the flavour. Still, don't let me put you off!

Re: What/What Not to Buy at Lidl/Aldi - Cereal Bars

The Cereal Bars are really nice 1.49 for a 6 pk and Sugar Free
Great for in the car if you skip breakfast

I haven't ploughed through this thread but I buy the following from Lidl.

Tampons (women's) - 30 in a box for about 1.99
Tarragona Gran Reserva - 6.99 - this stuff is the nads
Special Muesli Luxury Fruit & Nut - blue pack
Large bars of dark chocolate - Ecuadorian is the best (brown and red pack), then the one with the brightly coloured parrots on the pack.
Californian walnuts in the red bag
Cloudy apple juice (not from concentrate) - black carton - 99c
Aforementioned black tins of espresso coffee
Vitafit vegetable juice - gourmet quality
Basmati rice
Parma ham
Canned tomatoes
Shortbread fingers

And we're as fussy as bejaysus Chez Europhile.

Don't like the Lidl basmati rice, I find it very sticky. Tilda and Dunnes Stores own brand are great to cook with.

DrMoriarty said:

I know what a Brazilian and a Hollywood is but what is a 'Hawaiian'.

Murt

Back