What/What Not to Buy at Lidl/Aldi

Had an Aldi part baked Ciabatta last night and it was very nice. It looks like they changed the recipe and it was a lot lighter than the ones they used to sell before.

Lidl has brought bread baking mixes (Bauern/country, Mehrkorn/'Vital' (multi-grain), and Ciabatta/ciabatta) to Ireland (1Kg/2 loaves).

Use to bring 5 or 6 packages back from Germany every trip. At €0.59 they were a bargain. Somehow the Irish price rose to €1.59. Still, for breads that cannot be had elsewhere...

Requires ca. 2.5 hours to complete (total 'attention span' ca. 10 minutes). Easy as pie to accomplish excellent results. Bauern mit Kümmel (caraway seeds) is the fav here.

franmac said:
What about the packets of bacon "mishapes" perfect for a good aul coddle available in both Aldi and Lidl at the cost of 1.99 .

Did youse have coddle on the North side or was it exclusive to the Liberties area ?

Coddle is a Dublin-wide Dish.

My Mother used to make it & she's from Phibsboro, and my Grandmother made it, and she's from the Libo's, so I don't think it's confined to there.

I adore the Aldi Specially Selected Red Pepper Pesto. Yummy stired into their uber cheap Penne with some of their light mayo stirred through too. They also have gorgeous Foccacia. It's in the chill section between the cold meats and the cheeses. Their pasta sauces are very good.

I got a disgusting Chunky Tomato hot cup thing in a carton so it comes with it's own container for "on the go. It was rancid. Really powdery and just horrible.

I didn't think much as the Aldi Luxery Creamy Vanilla ICecream either though.

You can't go wrong with 6 x 500ml bottles of Irish Spring water for €1.79 though.

I also love their fresh juices, not from concentrate - 750ml for €1.09 - comes in apple, pineapple & orange - all lovely.

I always get all the cleaning products in Aldi or Lidl.

Holy Well said:
Coddle is a Dublin-wide Dish.

My Mother used to make it & she's from Phibsboro, and my Grandmother made it, and she's from the Libo's, so I don't think it's confined to there.

I recall eating coddle in a friend's house about 25 years ago - in Drumcondra - no, it's not Bertie's mammy ....

Allendog (Southsider)

that chunky hot tomato is poor alright. but the Thai chicken soup with red peppers and lemongrass is well worth trying. think it might be top of the range by aldi prices ie its either 79c or 99c. but well worth it imo.

Nürnburg sausages (two-pack). Boiled 3 minutes. Served with Lidl's Dijon Moustard (excellent with thin slices of fresh-baked Lidl Bauernbrot!)

Now when will they bring sauerkraut to these shores?

I can report Aldi fresh soup - tomato and pepper is yummy - I heated it up in work today for my lunch.

Kazbah,

Thanks for the tip.

kazbah said:
I adore the Aldi Specially Selected Red Pepper Pesto.

I tried the red pesto at the weekend and can now second your recommendation. I have tried the green pesto in the past and it was fine, but the red pesto is definitely tastier.

Turqoise

Turqoise said:
I tried the red pesto at the weekend and can now second your recommendation. I have tried the green pesto in the past and it was fine, but the red pesto is definitely tastier.

I'm addicted! It goes into everything - I got one of their home backed ciabattas and put the pesto on it with Aldi salami and aldi grated cheese and made my own homemade pizza type things - delish.

I made red pepper wedges over the weekend - I roasted potato wedges, peppers, shallots, cherry tomatoes and sundried tomatos with lots of pesto - gorgeous.

Pasta 'n' Pesto is a great store cupboard dinner when you have no food in!

I'll probably be sick of it soon but in my opinion it's my favourite product from Aldi/Lidl. (chocolate aside maybe :D )

I do our weekly shopping in Aldi - it's great get all the basics for much cheaper than the other stores.
I agree that Lidl doesn't have the same quality of stock.
Since starting to shop in Aldi every week we are saving over 100.00 pw on groceries.
We purchase all our cleaning products there also - and they are just as effective as the mainstream brands.
I will agree with the beans issue - not at all tasty!

Has anyone tried the new spinach topped pizzas in Lidl - good or bad? What are the nicest pizzas in aldi in your opinion? (saw goats cheese one at weekend in the freezer section, looked nice?)

I got a fresh Meat Feast in the chill cabinet in Aldi and it was lovely but I put extra cheese on it myself. I think it was only €0.99.

Three weeks ago I did my shopping in Tescos and it came to €399.00 granted there were a few extras in there but only about €60.00 worth..my horrified husband did the shopping the following week in Aldi and spent €180.00 and actually got more! While there are some items I will only buy by brand ie coffee I have decided to try where possible to shop here..interestingly they have a Xmas Cake with almost identical packaging and identical nutritional info to one I bought in M&S (of course a lot cheaper) and we bought a black pudding in LIDL that had the same EU Identifier number as Shaw's (tasted like Shaws too!). Presumably some items are supplied by well known brand names but packaged differently.

thanks Kazbah, so not in the freezer section, in the fridge beside the cheese + soups etc.?
Any rec's for a veggie option? (boyf is going to love your idea of a meat fest though, his idea of heaven :))

boogaloo said:
thanks Kazbah, so not in the freezer section, in the fridge beside the cheese + soups etc.?
Any rec's for a veggie option? (boyf is going to love your idea of a meat fest though, his idea of heaven :))

Exactly it was with the soups and stuff - that's the only one I tried.
I don't have a freezer - shock horror :)
So it's all fresh stuff for me.
Any of the Lidl fresh ones I had were nice too - expecially a prioscuitto (sp?) one.
I haven't tried any of the veggie ones - I think once the base and the sauce or fine the different toppings will be grand.

gauloise said:
and we bought a black pudding in LIDL that had the same EU Identifier number as Shaw's (tasted like Shaws too!).

Does anyone have a link which lists these EU numbers?

the tomato puree that tesco sell ( buitonni?) has the same number as the aldi one. the aldi one is bigger and half the price.

Both the bourbon and the London Dry Gin from Lidl are perfectly drinkable. Great price too.

Back