What next for Ryan Tubridy?

I predict Ryan Tubridy will be back and performing in RTE within 18 months. I could protest by not renewing my free tv licence.
I can't see it happening. Although who knows what will come out of next week's meeting..

I could protest by not renewing my free tv licence.

This option may be a mere formalization of the status quo for many members of this forum.

And one that might soon lead to a change in their domestic budget allocations :mad: . . .

I think we all agree that Ryan Tubridy did nothing illegal. His agent did what agents do i.e. get best possible deal for the client. The people who got the most from Tubridy (many guests on the Late Late etc) have lined up to "denounce" him in one way or another. It appears showbusiness is pretty shallow at best.

I think we all agree that Ryan Tubridy did nothing illegal. His agent did what agents do i.e. get best possible deal for the client. The people who got the most from Tubridy (many guests on the Late Late etc) have lined up to "denounce" him in one way or another. It appears showbusiness is pretty shallow at best.
It wasnt a very good deal though was it?

It relied on falsely described invoices. And when the shenanigans came to light, it had severe repercussions for the client and likely agent too. All of that could easily be foreseen.

A good agent in my book is one with understanding to protect client against possible reputational damage.

Tubridy was already on astonishingly good money. Greed and collusion with shady RTE practices looks like killing the goose that lays the golden egg for them.

Last edited:
Was he though?
Obviously these things are all relative so it depends on who you ask. Ask a presenter on the BBC and they will probably say no.
However, ask presenters on Virgin Media or TG4 or any media outlet here and I'm sure they will say yes.
Ask anyone in RTE who is not "top talent" and I'm sure they will say absolutely yes.
Ask the vast majority of the general public who would be happy with his secret top up as their salary, never mind his publicly declared pay, and the answer would undoubtedly be yes.

Una Mullally wrote a good piece in the Irish Times today about the Toy Show musical. It's probably the first thing I've read from her I agree with, though it's probably the first thing she's written on a topic she actually understands and wasn't a topic dictated by her buddies in the Shinners.

We have no right to keep such a performer from an audience comparable to his talents :)
Marty Morrissey schooled him in how to deal with controversy, from the most hated figure of the week, the man with both a car and a car allowance, to cracking jokes on Saturday about a hurler who had come back from injury, 'like Marty's car, he has returned'.

Looking forward to see if Tubridy can manage to extricate himself so neatly next week.

Obviously these things are all relative so it depends on who you ask. Ask a presenter on the BBC and they will probably say no.
As I pointed out above his counterpart on BBC NI radio is on more than Tubbs with one third of the audience and one tenth of the economy.
However, ask presenters on Virgin Media or TG4 or any media outlet here and I'm sure they will say yes.
Ask anyone in RTE who is not "top talent" and I'm sure they will say absolutely yes.
Pat Kenny is on over €700k on Newstalk with no TV work.
Ask the vast majority of the general public who would be happy with his secret top up as their salary, never mind his publicly declared pay, and the answer would undoubtedly be yes.
Most people think the head of the HSE, a €20 billion organisation employing 150,000 people, is overpaid on a salary of €420k. Most people are wrong.

The issue isn't about pay, it's about a culture of incompetence and unaccountability. In that the Public Sector Broadcaster is no different from much of the rest of the Public Sector.

I don't think anyone should be on more than 150,000 per year.
There is far too much money been paid to a lot of people who don't deserve it , in my opinion..

As I pointed out above his counterpart on BBC NI radio is on more than Tubbs with one third of the audience and one tenth of the economy.

Pat Kenny is on over €700k on Newstalk with no TV work.

Most people think the head of the HSE, a €20 billion organisation employing 150,000 people, is overpaid on a salary of €420k. Most people are wrong.

The issue isn't about pay, it's about a culture of incompetence and unaccountability. In that the Public Sector Broadcaster is no different from much of the rest of the Public Sector.

I think your figures for Pat Kenny are a bit dubious? Also, he does a three hour show.

But regardless, the point about pay is that as the RTE figures on radio since Kenny left show, RTE were getting the same viewers paying a presenter a good salary that was a fraction of what Kenny was getting.

So I think pay is part of the issue. But the other issues you note are important too.

Last edited:
The worry for Tubridy is that he may be under media pressure to hand back the alleged €350k he got via the barter a/c plus any alleged loyalty bonus that he may have received.

His salary after tax and after his other obligations are discharged was not such that he could readily provide this €350k+ as a lump sum. If he were to repay it, an instalment process would be the only way, i.e. so much from his future nominal RTE earnings. Naturally the latter scenario would only be operable were he to be given a new radio and/or TV contract at RTE, a scenario that may not be agreeable to RTE or Mr T.

I don't believe for a second that Noel Kelly is "plotting a new future" for Ryan Tubridy in the UK or the continent. For one thing, Noel Kelly cannot have a future with Ryan Tubridy after he foolishly arranged this very debacle. For another, Ryan Tubridy has to sort matters out here right now for the immediate future. And that must be a full-time job for him for the last 3 weeks - not the ideal backdrop for important interview preparations. This yarn is Sunday tabloid pulp, likely designed to head off any attempt by RT or NK to run away from facing the PAC music. Boyish as Tubridy may be, he will not run away abroad like that: he has some bit of self-respect and 3 kids to face every morning.

In a short amount of time - less than a month really - Ryano will have to become a man. He'll have to admit his follies, absolve Noel Kelly from blame (if only so the Irish public may dump the blame back upon him) and speak slowly of his contrition on this matter - the family members and friends he let down, the people across the country who give him this gilded existence and the younger generation rising up.

If Tubbers can man up to that then he has every chance of a real future in Ireland again - perhaps a far better future than hitherto he'd have expected.

Last edited:
I think your figures for Pat Kenny are a bit dubious? Also, he does a three hour show.
Fair enough, he's probably taken a cut too.
But regardless, the point about pay is that as the RTE figures on radio since Kenny left show, RTE were getting the same viewers paying a presenter a good salary that was a fraction of what Kenny was getting.

So I think pay is part of the issue. But the other issues you note are important too.
Pay is a symptom of the issue, not the root cause.

Well if listenership figures drive advertising income which in turn drives presenter salaries, it’s perhaps worth noting that Tubbs has almost twice as many listeners as Pat Kenny (whose show is three hours long in fairness).

There is far too much money been paid to a lot of people who don't deserve it , in my opinion..
What do you think a HSE chief exce should be paid to fix the health service. Get waiting lists down, MRIs within 2 days, no one on a trolley.

What do you think a HSE chief exce should be paid to fix the health service. Get waiting lists down, MRIs within 2 days, no one on a trolley.
A big chunk if they achieve those targets. A much smaller chunk if they (inevitably) don’t.

So if you own a company which is making a higher profit than that what should happen to the money?

If you can expand your company and create more employment and wealth and taxes for the State but your income is already capped at €150k then why would you bother?

There isn't a full time GP, Dentist, Vet or Hospital Consultant in Ireland earning less than €150k a year. How would we retain them?

Maximum pay caps are fundamentally unfair and unjust and are an appalling restriction on individual freedom.
I agree, but many of those people are not on high incomes. Some of them don't work at all.

At this stage it would be impossible to reduce pay to 150,000 ish , this damage was done many years ago. People should never have been on the sinful amounts of money that they are on now. Some , like you point out deserve good money but there are many who don't like radio and tv presenters who some call celebrates :rolleyes:

Back