What next for Ryan Tubridy?

True, but I heard on the grapevine some of the technical staff are on zero hour contracts, but it's not an issue cos they get the hours.
Unions have no interest in helping low paid employees on zero hour contracts.

A union unable to face down zero hour contracts?

Hmmm…..
The Employment Act 2018 banned Zero hour contracts except in limited circumstances , this Act was enacted as the result of a hard fought campaign by ICTU and was particularly highlighted by the strike on this issue by Mandate members in Dunnes stores.
It must be pretty effective as IBEC were the only Trade Union that railed against it’s introduction .
I’m confused about the position in RTE , are these people zero hour workers or freelancers ?

The Employment Act 2018 banned Zero hour contracts except in limited circumstances , this Act was enacted as the result of a hard fought campaign by ICTU and was particularly highlighted by the strike on this issue by Mandate members in Dunnes stores.
It must be pretty effective as IBEC were the only Trade Union that railed against it’s introduction .
I’m confused about the position in RTE , are these people zero hour workers or freelancers ?
My 19 year old daughter has had three retail jobs in the last 2 years which were in effect zero hour contracts. In one, a major sports clothing and footwear retailer, 16 year olds were working until after midnight and hours were changed an a daily basis. She contacted two Unions, at my suggestion, and they had no interest in helping.

My 19 year old daughter has had three retail jobs in the last 2 years which were in effect zero hour contracts. In one, a major sports clothing and footwear retailer, 16 year olds were working until after midnight and hours were changed an a daily basis. She contacted two Unions, at my suggestion, and they had no interest in helping.
She should contact the WRC

Maybe the better question is what's next for RTE, there's no way back for Tubs. None.
I'm listening to the expenditure running onto millions for flip flops, failed stage shows golf and holiday jollys concerts and limos and when the TV renewal comes around I won't be paying it. Never watch it or listen to it anymore.

Seriously, someone in RT's personal situation has no serious alternative but to make a very public act of contrition to retain any regard within Irish media.

Otherwise he'd have to move abroad for media work. If he's based abroad, it strains his parental routine - something no father wants with growing children who remain based in Ireland for the immediate future.

I think his days of chat shows and toy shows are well and truly over. As to what he would do in future, it is, as they say, a case of making an opportunity to try something new from the necessity of having to. He might plausibly try:

* Producing factual programmes on topics of widespread interest, e.g. recent/local history, literature

* Creating a new arts programme format preferably with a lot of international guests

* Making empathetic programmes on selected topics, e.g. medical misdiagnosis, marital breakup and coping in modern Ireland, self-build housing, emigration and immigration

Clearly a strong effort to be less dominating and more appreciative is required for making these types of programmes. But the hidden depths that were invisible within the live TV context of the Late Late Show would get far better scope for expression in a recorded + edited format.

There is also the possibility of a book. No, I don't think we need another large print apologia pro vita sua from Ryano and his agent just to keep the coffers ticking over. But he might try doing a more thoughtful book on some topic of personal interest. With a strong editorial hand from his publisher, of course.

If he makes a convincingly clean breast of things during his Oireachtas MC and PAC attendances then I think most people would be forgiving and wish him well in a new arena of media work.

Last edited:
Seriously, someone in RT's personal situation has no serious alternative but to make a very public act of contrition to retain any regard within Irish media.

Otherwise he'd have to move abroad for media work. If he's based abroad, it strains his parental routine - something no father wants with growing children who remain based in Ireland for the immediate future.

I think his days of chat shows and toy shows are well and truly over. As to what he would do in future, it is, as they say, a case of making an opportunity to try something new from the necessity of having to. He might plausibly try:

* Producing factual programmes on topics of widespread interest, e.g. recent/local history, literature

* Creating a new arts programme format preferably with a lot of international guests

* Making empathetic programmes on selected topics, e.g. medical misdiagnosis, marital breakup and coping in modern Ireland, self-build housing, emigration and immigration

Clearly a strong effort to be less dominating and more appreciative is required for making these types of programmes. But the hidden depths that were invisible within the live TV context of the Late Late Show would get far better scope for expression in a recorded + edited format.

There is also the possibility of a book. No, I don't think we need another large print apologia pro vita sua from Ryano and his agent just to keep the coffers ticking over. But he might try doing a more thoughtful book on some topic of personal interest. With a strong editorial hand from his publisher, of course.

If he makes a convincingly clean breast of things during his Oireachtas MC and PAC attendances then I think most people would be forgiving and wish him well in a new arena of media work.
Why bother looking for alternatives for him? It won’t matter.

It’s either okay for him to return to what he normally does or it’s not. If it’s not, he’s finished.

His ‘brand’ relies on his Everyman persona. Without it, he’s nothing.

If the public don’t ultimately forgive him, the advertisers won’t touch him and pretty soon he’ll be as yesterday as Derek Mooney.

Last edited:
It’s either okay for him to return to what he normally does or it’s not. If it’s not, he’s finished.

This is nonsense.

It can never be okay to return to the previous job after a faux-pas on a matter fundamental to the credibility and public trust demanded by that job.

It may well be that he has to resign from direct employment by RTE a la Aoife Kavanagh.

However, as Ms Kavanagh has shown, there is plenty of work that a talented broadcaster/journalist can do in TV after leaving RTE.

Tubridy is hardly someone who is going to let these events define his life. I don't anticipate any enduring period of depression or self-loathing. And why should he ? It's clear that a trusted agent Noel Kelly played hardball when negotiating RT's remuneration rather than be mindful of his client's overriding interest, i.e. retaining the esteem of the ordinary public. Had RT needed more money than RTE could give him under their salary limits, NK Management could easily have arranged other small side-earners for him like opening shops, book launches, etc.

I expect Tubridy to acknowledge at his PAC/MC appearances that he didn't set adequate stays on his agent when negotiating with RTE. It's reported that NK Management set up an ad for young Lottie Ryan that resulted in her getting told off by RTE for making an ad in the Montrose car-park without getting permission. To her credit, Lottie learns fast and dropped NKM as her agent.

It will be interesting to see what Noel Kelly says under questioning from rural TDs.

Whatever about Tubridy, I think Noel Kelly is finished as an agent to the famous. And so he should.

This is nonsense.

It can never be okay to return to the previous job after a faux-pas on a matter fundamental to the credibility and public trust demanded by that job.

It may well be that he has to resign from direct employment by RTE a la Aoife Kavanagh.

However, as Ms Kavanagh has shown, there is plenty of work that a talented broadcaster/journalist can do in TV after leaving RTE.

Tubridy is hardly someone who is going to let these events define his life. I don't anticipate any enduring period of depression or self-loathing. And why should he ? It's clear that a trusted agent Noel Kelly played hardball when negotiating RT's remuneration rather than be mindful of his client's overriding interest, i.e. retaining the esteem of the ordinary public. Had RT needed more money than RTE could give him under their salary limits, NK Management could easily have arranged other small side-earners for him like opening shops, book launches, etc.

I expect Tubridy to acknowledge at his PAC/MC appearances that he didn't set adequate stays on his agent when negotiating with RTE. It's reported that NK Management set up an ad for young Lottie Ryan that resulted in her getting told off by RTE for making an ad in the Montrose car-park without getting permission. To her credit, Lottie learns fast and dropped NKM as her agent.

It will be interesting to see what Noel Kelly says under questioning from rural TDs.

Whatever about Tubridy, I think Noel Kelly is finished as an agent to the famous. And so he should.
If he does resign will he have to take a pay cut. Will he get a large pay off . Questions, Questions..

It put Tubbs pay into context the Irish Times today reported that Stephen Nolan, the generously proportioned gentleman who presents a show on BBC Ulssssster, is getting paid just under a half a million Euro a year. That's in a province which is economically just over one tenth the size of this country.

Agreed. But their situations and status within the organisation are different.

Kavanagh was a central part of a programme that caused reputational and financial damage to RTE (apart from the damage it caused to other parties). Her subsequent parting from RTE was inevitable but she was never publicly well-known. Where she worked subsequently was of no public interest.

In the case of Tubridy, a more appropriate comparison might be with Chris de Burgh. Like Tubs, he relied heavily on a soft-spoken, saintly love-and-peace reputation. When the babysitter story came out, his image was destroyed. I’m sure he continued to write music etc but the jig was effectively up.

My point about Tubs is that within RTE, I think it’s all or nothing. I can’t see him being relegated to the graveyard shift or the shipping forecast. It’s all or nothing.

It wouldn’t surprise me though to see him move to the US and get some late night talk show gig. If James Corden can do it, why not Tubs?
It's clear that a trusted agent Noel Kelly played hardball when negotiating RT's remuneration rather than be mindful of his client's overriding interest, i.e. retaining the esteem of the ordinary public.
In fairness, Tubs has a mind of his own and should have known himself where to draw the line. Kelly did what agents do. His other clients have so far avoided trouble so perhaps they managed the relationship better. It may be that Tubs just let him off the leash completely.

You can’t blame Kelly for the outcome although I’d agree his wings have been clipped somewhat.

Agreed. But their situations and status within the organisation are different.

Kavanagh was a central part of a programme that caused reputational and financial damage to RTE (apart from the damage it caused to other parties). Her subsequent parting from RTE was inevitable but she was never publicly well-known. Where she worked subsequently was of no public interest.

In the case of Tubridy, a more appropriate comparison might be with Chris de Burgh. Like Tubs, he relied heavily on a soft-spoken, saintly love-and-peace reputation. When the babysitter story came out, his image was destroyed. I’m sure he continued to write music etc but the jig was effectively up.

My point about Tubs is that within RTE, I think it’s all or nothing. I can’t see him being relegated to the graveyard shift or the shipping forecast. It’s all or nothing.

It wouldn’t surprise me though to see him move to the US and get some late night talk show gig. If James Corden can do it, why not Tubs?

In fairness, Tubs has a mind of his own and should have known himself where to draw the line. Kelly did what agents do. His other clients have so far avoided trouble so perhaps they managed the relationship better. It may be that Tubs just let him off the leash completely.

You can’t blame Kelly for the outcome although I’d agree his wings have been clipped somewhat.

Kelly (and Tubridy) should have foreseen the possible backlash should these under the counter payments come to light. It's part of an agent's job to consider if a contract \ gig \ brand involvement could have reputational consequences for their client.
He knows the ins and outs of RTE and he knew how much of a big deal the publication of presenters pay is for RTE. He's not just any other agent so it applies double here.

Tubs will be back on the air within the year-end. Probably doing a George Lee and presenting something completely different. Ireland's The Chase anyone? :D

Tubridy needed representation for his contract negotiation, no argument with that.

But you could hardly expect the degree of toughness with all-round fairness that say Noel Smyth applied to RTE on Mike Murphy's behalf, this was not how Noel Kelly was ever going to play it. Kelly did nothing else for a living but pick up his percentage on deals for his clients: he was in a morally hazardous position in respect of his own interest. (I suppose some will say that Smyth's "toughness with all-round fairness" was down to his desire to impress potential big clients (RTE) on the opposite side of the table . . . Ach sin sceal eile.)

I think a lot of Noel Kelly's clients will drift away from him on a variety of excuses and get someone like an accountant or solicitor to manage their media/appearances contracts from now on. Pat Kenny is staying loyal so far but when Madame Kenny finally gets the time to read into all this foolishness . . . Pat will have to walk from Kelly.

I see Marty Morrissey was caught clutching a Renault.

So silly of him to say he "returned it voluntarily to Renault on Friday 23rd June". If ever a car was returned under duress it was Marty's wheels after the scandal broke.

It now looks like Renault have a hook deep into the belly of RTE . . .

I wonder what the man who started this Renault-RTE relationship has to say about it. I refer of course to our beloved, cherubic, up-at-4-in-the-morning, put-a-shine-on-those-penny-apples wheeler-dealer extraordnaire, the one, the only Bill (Liam-to-my-father) Cullen :D

Last edited:
I have tickets going cheap for the Tubs Kelly musical next week....only 100 euro or next best offer ;) First come basis so don't be disappointed... I'm not sure if there are any rehearsals. But if there is I'm sure I'll have tickets for these too.

I predict Ryan Tubridy will be back and performing in RTE within 18 months. I could protest by not renewing my free tv licence.

Back