What are we watching on TV?

I watched Love/Hate last night for first time. I thought it was a bit rediculous that in a 1 hour episode we had the following:
* Kneecapping of drug dealer (by IRA)
* Rape of drug dealer's girlfriend/wife by IRA leader in back of pub
* Violence, fight scenes, guns
* Murder (of IRA man) by a dropped beer barrel to head
* Burial of body by JCB
* Brothels, prostitutes, sex, affairs etc
* Loads and loads of alcohol
* Loads of drug use (cocaine mainly)
* Drink driving

Was it a bit much for Episode 1 which seemed to span a period of only 2 days?

It was very violent. Remember that it was based around St. Patrick's Day and they were were all tanked up on booze and cocaine etc

Have been glued to Homeland but this week's episode was a bit bland and I'm hoping it hasn't Jumped the Shark.

There's definitely been more filler in this season than the first and more hit and miss episodes, so much so I get the impression they don't really know from episode to episode that they know where they're going with it. That tends to put me off, but I'm giving it the benefit of the doubt for now.

On the opposite scale, i.e. second season superior to the first is American Horror Story. First season was crazy and not always in a good way, the second obviously has something in mind and they're working slowly towards it. Very enjoyable so far.

There's definitely been more filler in this season than the first and more hit and miss episodes, so much so I get the impression they don't really know from episode to episode that they know where they're going with it.

I was listening to a podcast from Grantland about this episode. The Finn/Dana story is mostly filler. It seems to serve a desire to show the effect of Brody's duplicity on Dana and their relationship.

Last week's was episode 7. Episode 7 from Season 1 was when Brody and Carrie spent the weekend in the cottage and Saul drove Eileen from Mexico to Langley. So that suggests the writers are working to a story arc.

They (podcast) referred to it as a 'bottle' episode.

Programmes like Homeland and Love/Hate become ridiculous with hardly believable plots.

I much prefer to watch something based on a true story that is entertaining and educational such as the Walking Dead that Tarfhead once mentioned.

Whilst there are some aspects that don't strike me as too realistic ,overall the series highlights the problems that society faces when overrun by the flesh-eating undead.

I have tried to persuade my wife and daughter to follow the series ,all the better to know what to do when confronted by a zombie. (Decapitation or a stake through the head is the only solution- which can also be used on Jehovah's Witnesses or political canvassers at one's doorstep).
Sadly, wife and daughter prefer programmes with titles like "I was a pregnant ten ton teenage amputee". .
Give me zombies any time.

Now,if only I could find another fan who isn't 40-50 years younger than me.

Programmes like Homeland and Love/Hate become ridiculous with hardly believable plots.

I much prefer to watch something based on a true story that is entertaining and educational such as the Walking Dead that Tarfhead once mentioned.

Whilst there are some aspects that don't strike me as too realistic ,overall the series highlights the problems that society faces when overrun by the flesh-eating undead.

I have tried to persuade my wife and daughter to follow the series ,all the better to know what to do when confronted by a zombie. (Decapitation or a stake through the head is the only solution- which can also be used on Jehovah's Witnesses or political canvassers at one's doorstep).
Sadly, wife and daughter prefer programmes with titles like "I was a pregnant ten ton teenage amputee". .
Give me zombies any time.

Now,if only I could find another fan who isn't 40-50 years younger than me.

Oh boy, yes Walking Dead. I'm ashamed to have not mention it before. Though that is more down to the slightly pedestrian 2nd season, but latest season is back on form.

Though it isn't just the dealing with actual zombies that is a life lesson, it's also when people are bitten and we can decapitate them too. I like this model of "I don't like who you will become, so I will chop off your head." The analogue for "zombie bite" is anyone who says "I really want to be a TD."

Homeland was decent enough last night.

Watched the first 2 episodes of The Killing III on the beeb too and they were very good - must get seasons 1 & 2 now..

Homeland was decent enough last night.

I thought it better than 'decent'. The storyline with the daughter was progressed satisfactorily. The tension of the last 10 minutes was good. The reveal in the last scene stretched credulity somewhat. Clare Danes' 'eye acting' is now begining to grate.

Watched the first 2 episodes of The Killing III on the beeb too and they were very good - must get seasons 1 & 2 now..

I've heard nothing but good feedback about that programme. The nearest I got was Season I of the US version. I just can't get past subtitles. Ditto for The Bridge.

Clare Danes' 'eye acting' is now begining to grate.

Oh my yes.

Another gripe is that there is a pattern with Homeland this season which is, aside from a couple of episodes which have been great, you have this great 10 minute ending or huge cliffhanger which makes you forget the past 40 mins that was just Brody arguing with his wife again and so you tune in next week.

The nearest I got was Season I of the US version. I just can't get past subtitles. Ditto for The Bridge.

Agree again. I did watch the original version and enjoyed it, but in our TV veg out time, we got a bit sick of the subtitles and so went for the US version which was actually very good.

Downloaded and watched first 2 episodes of the US version of The Killing last night - so far so good. Started watching season 3 of the (original) Danish version on the Beeb and it's better again. All this tele is great!

I love The Walking Dead and there is so so much to learn from it. Lets face it, it's inevitable in the next 20-30 years that some virus or other event will cause most of the population to become 'zombies' or some such and we need to be able to protect ourselves and survive. Will Smith in I Am Legend also provided great insights here.

The Killing

I really enjoy The Killing 3 I have watched Killing 1 and 2 I found the subtitles a little off putting at the start but I think you just get used to them. I believe this is the last series that Sarah Lund is going to be in. She seems to be a bit scattered and does not seem to have her mind on the job!

Clare Danes' 'eye acting' is now beginning to grate.
You'll love this, so.

Agree that Homeland has become boring (I gave up about 3-4 episodes ago), but Broen/The Bridge and Forbrydelsen/The Killing are wonderful.

/rushes off to check out Season 3

Dexter has descended into pure farce. If I want my light relief silly and gory, I'll take the walkers any time.

Finally, Breaking Bad is without doubt the finest TV series since... the Sopranos? Deadwood?

Finally, Breaking Bad is without doubt the finest TV series since... the Sopranos? Deadwood?

The debate about 'the best' or 'the finest' is one that would never end. The list of must-see TV box-sets includes the three above, plus The Wire and The West Wing.

The debate about 'the best' or 'the finest' is one that would never end. The list of must-see TV box-sets includes the three above, plus The Wire and The West Wing.

For me, the West Wing is the finest and most engaging series ever made. If people haven't watched it and want something to watch over the period of a year, this is the one!

For me, the West Wing is the finest and most engaging series ever made. If people haven't watched it and want something to watch over the period of a year, this is the one!

I really loved the west wing which I watched a few years ago on DVD.

On the one hand I envy anyone who hasn't seen it as they are in for a treat. But on the other I don't know how they will cope with a full box set. I bought each season separately so had to wait until the new one arrived. A few times I made myself wait 2 week before I ordered/bought the next one.

I don't think I could have coped with having the next one just sitting there.

Watched Season 1 of The Borgia

Not the Jeremy Irons versions, this is a French production, English langauge though.

If you were a fan of the Wire you'd recognize Rawls from it. Hah, it's much the same character in a roundabout way.

More scheming, backstabbing, treachery and vicious putdowns then a Fine Gael Ard Fheis :eek:

As for the public executions!! They had ways of killing people that gave me the chills.
Not for the faint of heart

I think it's better then the Jeremy Irons version, less big battle scenes and expensive production but the politics is far superior.

There's a young lad from Northern Ireland in one of the main roles.
The women will love him for sure!
http://www.imdb.com/name/nm3029799/
Mark Ryder is his name

I was visiting my parents recently and saw that Love/Hate thing.

Do SF/IRA still run so much of Dublin (and other towns in the ROI)?

You'll love this, so.

Agree that Homeland has become boring (I gave up about 3-4 episodes ago), but Broen/The Bridge and Forbrydelsen/The Killing are wonderful.

/rushes off to check out Season 3

Dexter has descended into pure farce. If I want my light relief silly and gory, I'll take the walkers any time.

Deadwood, The Killing, and Breaking bad have just been put on my xmas list, I'm putting great faith in your taste!

Deadwood is the absolute biz , Ian McShane is brilliant ( his Dad Harry who played with Manchester United & guested for Waterford died earlier this month aged 92 ).

Back