Waitress spilt a glass of red wine all over me and my new white coat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cleverclogs7

Sorry but didn't know where to post this.

Daughter made communion last Sunday. We went to dinner and a Waitress spilt a glass of red wine all over me and my new white coat.

They took it from me and promised to have it cleaned. It was worn 3 times only and cost 120e.It took a long time time for me to save up for.

Last night I called the restaurant to find out about my coat. I was told that it hadn't been left in for cleaning yet :mad:. So the coat has been sitting in red wine since 17th may :( .

The manager said he would call me on Tuesday. If the wine doesn't come out they want to see a receipt of price i paid. What to do ?

I already gave them my dry cleaning bill for the trousers and top I wore.

Re: Ruined coat.

The manager said he would call me on tuesday.If the wine doesnt come out they want to see a reciept of price i paid. what to do ?

Not a lot you can do but wait to see if the stain comes out.

Personally Id be asking for the price of a new coat if dry cleaning doesnt remove the stain completely.
Legally I dont know where you stand.

It sounds like they may be considering replacing the coat if they are asking about a receipt? I hope that things work out, it's disappointing to have something like this happen, but hopefully they will replace it if the cleaning doesnt work.

Shocking, I wouldn't let this go. Keep all record of what happened, when, what they promised, dates, phonecalls etc. They admitted their mistake by keeping ur coat, keep on top of them.

Had my own poor Irish midweek hotel break last year and never will I let anything go again when I'm paying for something. Although in the end I was left with going down the route of the Small Claims Procedure but being truthful I chickened out due to distance and hassle.

The website as Sue Ellen said have a template of a letter of complaint that will set you straight in pointing out what your looking for. You can email them also and they answer u back very quickly. If u haven't the receipt of the coat, the shop you bought it in should give u a letter stating the price but dont forget the upset u suffered on the day of your child's communion and also waiting STILL for ur best coat.

Good luck with it.

but dont forget the upset u suffered on the day of your child's communion and also waiting STILL for ur best coat.

I dont think we should let it rest at this, the waitress really should be hauled before the courts. nay, forget the trial, to the dungeons with her.
Its not like it was an accident, was it?:rolleyes:
what a shocking indictment of the nation we have become.

I dont think we should let it rest at this, the waitress really should be hauled before the courts. nay, forget the trial, to the dungeons with her.
Its not like it was an accident, was it?:rolleyes:
what a shocking indictment of the nation we have become.

thats a bit cheeky sean.Im a single mom and money doesnt fall onto my lap.i had to save for a coat i wore 3 times.my 2nd daughter aged 4.will be christened on sunday and now,no coat :mad:

tonight the manager came to my house with the coat which wasnt dry cleaned.no cleaners would attempt to clean it he said.it has been sitting in red wine since may 17th. i got my 120e back and a 25e dinner voucher.big deal :( im still mad as hell.

paddy,because im not one for fashion or the latest up to date trendy clothing.im mad because i really saved my butt off to buy the coat.wore it 3 times and was the most expensive item i own.There isnt any left in stock and because im small and slim i had to pay a seemstress to have it altered.

ah.....I feel for you, we (girls) know what it like to have that "just right" thing (be it the shoes that go with everything, the perfect jeans, the slimming knickers).

It's not easy to replace. I reckon you're more annoyed they left the coat sitting in the wine for so long - it might have been OK if they had soaked it & got it to the cleaners immediately.

But they have paid the cost of the item & given you a gesture of goodwill - still annoying but nothing else you can do

PS - TX Maxx are great for small slim people (not that I'd know!!!)

I understand your frustration, but in fairness I think that this restuarant have actually played pretty fair with you, what other result could you have hoped for? They could have delayed further, dragged their heels, denied liability...but they didn't, instead they did the really fair thing and gave you the money to cover the cost of a replacement or similar, it's hardly their fault that the shop you bought it in has no others, or that you need to have it altered by a tailor. I thought it was a really nice touch them giving you the voucher. I would put this into perspective, I am a full time working mum, and I too don't have much spare money for new coats, but it's not the end of the world. Acknowledge that they have put right something which was obviously (from your own description) an accident, and it looks like they perhaps forgot about it, not nice, but hardly traumatic is it?

On a brighter note I have it on good authority that the weather forecast for next weekend is good, so no need for coats, therefore your problem is solved!

Gee I think the restaurant was very fair to you. It was an accident and it's only a coat even if you did save up for it along time. I'm sure you'll find another nice coat.

Before giving up on the coat, leave it a large basin of cool water with salt. I had a similiar experience with a dress. No cleaner would touch it. I left it for 24 hours in cool (then cold obviously) water with a lot of salt and out the stain came.

The Restaurant have exceeded their legal obligation to you, which is to either clean the garment or refund the cost of the garment so its pointless to stress yourself any further about it. I understand that as a single parent you may already have a lot of financial pressures even prior to your Children's Communion and Baptism coming so close together. But I'd take other posters advise on board and try cleaning it yourself, if it doesn't come out be thankful of the great weather and enjoy your day.

Treat your kids and yourself to a nice meal, try and salvage ur coat and put the upset behind you (although it will be hard).

On a side note, I knopw of someone at a work function, a hot starter split down the side of neck, one hospital visit, few doc appointment and one sol letter and a tidy 5 figure cheque rec. Of course this happened after my poor holiday experience (which I will never forget and am sorry I didnt take it further especially as I heard that the manager of the hotel is running for the town council with FG, shocking the man signed his name and my address on the envelope to a letter with the worst spelling, grammer etc).

You could always contact the manager saying ur not happy as u found out u can't replace the coat as out of stock, cost of tailor etc. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

You could always contact the manager saying ur not happy as u found out u can't replace the coat as out of stock, cost of tailor etc. Nothing ventured nothing gained.

Maybe you could get the manager to actually go and buy a replacement coat as well??

Come on, I think the manager and the restaurant addressed the problem in a correct manner and the matter should be closed. Paid compensation and threw in a meal.

Added bonus if the stain comes out....

... sorry I didnt take it further especially as I heard that the manager of the hotel is running for the town council with FG, shocking the man signed his name and my address on the envelope to a letter with the worst spelling, grammer etc).

Sorry, but the irony...

;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back