Very bad behaviour at Mass for First Holy Communion.

Status
Not open for further replies.
In modern Ireland it is rare, and probably a hanging offence, to be excluded from an RC school because of religion, but it is a cornerstone of CofI schools, at least in Dublin.

where i grew up - and where i live now from what i hear from parents the comment about COI school admission process holds true - not that i have particular issue with it.

Can posters maybe explain exactly what they are are referring to here - what are you accusing these schools of?

It's not entirely clear to me.

I've never heard of this.

In my own (nominally) COI school there were more catholics than COI kids. Likewise the same with any of the Dublin schools that kids moved from to my school.

Are you sure this isn't just some kind of begrudging gossip?

Far from gossip, it is a personal experience. So shocked was I to encounter it, when I looked further I found that education is a grounds for descrimination in your schools, this is in our constitution, on the basis of protecting your faith.

Not my faith BTW Bluespud.

You say "exclusion is a cornerstone... etc" but that's it.

So what exactly are you saying - can you spell it out?

What exactly was your experience?

No VEC (i.e. community college) would give first access to any particular school.

I'm not telling porkies. The CofI pupils are the first in line for the local community college as per the selection criteria below & the reaosns behind it. The pupils don't have to live in the catchment area either. I don't have a big issue with it for the CofI pupils.

Qualifications - Selection Criteria:

1. Church of Ireland and Protestant students attending Castleknock Church of Ireland National School.

Note: There are no non-fee paying Protestant schools in North-West Dublin. Consequently when the college was established, it was designated as a feeder school for Church of Ireland and Protestant children in order to protect the rights of this minority, thus ensuring that a significant number of this community could be educated together. It was also agreed that a representative of the community would be a member of the Board of Management.

I'm not telling porkies. The CofI pupils are the first in line for the local community college as per the selection criteria below & the reaosns behind it. The pupils don't have to live in the catchment area either. I don't have a big issue with it for the CofI pupils.

Qualifications - Selection Criteria:

1. Church of Ireland and Protestant students attending Castleknock Church of Ireland National School.

Note: There are no non-fee paying Protestant schools in North-West Dublin. Consequently when the college was established, it was designated as a feeder school for Church of Ireland and Protestant children in order to protect the rights of this minority, thus ensuring that a significant number of this community could be educated together. It was also agreed that a representative of the community would be a member of the Board of Management.
Wow - I'm amazed at this kind of further discrimination on religious grounds. Thanks for the clarification.

Wow - I'm amazed at this kind of further discrimination on religious grounds. Thanks for the clarification.

Why is it amazing? It's a 'designated' COI/protestant school.

Is the educate together idea not generally a good one? This is an example of sorts of the same ethos. I don't see the problem.

In the area I live in, the RC schools discriminate by geography, the CoI do it based on religion.

emotive choice of word there - I would have said 'prioritise'. The national school that my children attend prioritise children from the cachement area (i.e. parish) over children from outside that area, regardless of faith They also, for kids outside of that area, prioritise siblings of pupils already in the school, over those who are not.

Or should that be 'sibling discrimination' :rolleyes: ?

Thats a fair enough selection process, although a great many schools do not do this. As I mentioned before, my local national school prioritises RC children, then siblings, then other faiths, and only if spaces are left are they given to un-baptised children, even if they live next door to the school. And they are legally entitled to do so!

But I thought it was just them awful protestants that did that eh Bluespud? :rolleyes:

Why is it amazing? It's a 'designated' COI/protestant school.
Because it is a state-operated and state-funded facility. Why should any state facility prioritise one religion over another? Would you be surprised if we had a catholic-only library or a protestant-only 'public' health clinic?

emotive choice of word there - I would have said 'prioritise'. The national school that my children attend prioritise children from the cachement area (i.e. parish) over children from outside that area, regardless of faith They also, for kids outside of that area, prioritise siblings of pupils already in the school, over those who are not.

Or should that be 'sibling discrimination' :rolleyes: ?
THe sibling rule often discriminates against those new to Ireland.

Because it is a state-operated and state-funded facility. Why should any state facility prioritise one religion over another?

Seemingly, in this case, because:

There are no non-fee paying Protestant schools in North-West Dublin. Consequently when the college was established, it was designated as a feeder school for Church of Ireland and Protestant children in order to protect the rights of this minority, thus ensuring that a significant number of this community could be educated together.

I admit it is certainly unusual, if not maybe unique. But do you not think this is essentially a good thing?

In practice, I would have thought it highly unlikely that e.g. any RCs would end up being excluded from the school due to this policy.

sibling rule often discriminates against those new to Ireland.

:rolleyes:

.. but not because they are new to Ireland. For children oustside the cachement area, who have no existing connection to the school, new to Ireland or eye colour or 'left-handedness' or otherwise, is neither a criterion not a basis for discrimination.

In practice, I would have thought it highly unlikely that e.g. any RCs would end up being excluded from the school due to this policy.
If that is the case, then the COI community would have no objection to removing the priority rule - right?

Acually there are not enough places to cover the kids in the area, so there are kids from within the catchment area who would not get a place, of whatever religion. Last year, apparently, there were kids who had lived in the area for 10 years+ who were not admitted

non-denominational primary school

It's an inaccurate description - non-denominational does not mean "of no church" (or religion if you prefer).

In describing the school as 'non-denominational' it could be argued that enrolment is offered to those who are members of a non-denominational church.

Under the current Education Acts all schools have to have a patron and must submit their religious educational curriculum to the Dept. of Ed.

I think (but am open to correction) that the local VEC is the patron of this school. The curriculum does not have to be instruction in a particular faith; hence the Educate Together method of teaching about all faiths.

I'm willing to bet that the religious currciulum of this school will be remarkable similar to the other schools in the area.

Maybe not. I did a google, and turned this up:
[FONT=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif]Explaining the ethos of the school, Ms. Lowe [Principal of Scoil Choilm] says “we are a multi-faith school and we welcome children of all faiths and none. However we will be teaching faith as part of our school curriculum.

[broken link removed]
[/FONT]

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back