trump for president good/bad for ireland

How many moderate republicans would prefer to vote democrat than vote for Trump? Surely there aren't enough bigoted idiots there for him to actually win
I hope you are right but having spent a fair bit of time in Texas I'm not so sure you are!

Trump is 9/1 with Betfair to be the next presi of the US of A and the Duke rates his chances even less. It was clear from the last two elections that the GOP needed a Blair like conversion to reach out to at least some of the, for example, growing Hispanic minority - old style Republicanism was looking increasingly unelectable. Trump has gone in the reverse direction. Yes he might win the Republican nomination (I am sure Hilary is praying for that) as he might have an increased appeal to die hard rednecks, but these are not votes won from the Democrats which is what the Republicans desperately need.

There has been a significant development in the race for the Republican nomination. The party establishment has decided that it is absolutely opposed to Ted Cruz winning the nomination, both John McCain and Bob Dole have come out strongly against Cruz recently.

They seem to think that while Trump may be a little over the top Cruz is a true believer and would be impossible to deal with.

We still don't know the real Trump.

Comment in Economist.

There was a survey on real Trump believers and statistically there are as many Trump believers as there are those who believe there was NO moon landing.

Nutters unite club.!

Didn't watch it yet, have it recorded.
Bored myself to death with Liverpool v Stoke instead :(

It could be Ted Cruz. He's a religious fundamentalist. He could be worse than Trump!

Trump is a friend of the Clintons, plays golf with Bill. The theory is that Trump is there to stymie the Republican chances and make Hillary a shoe in. He says he'll run even if not on the GOP ticket. A glitch in the plot is Bernie Sanders who is challenging for Democratic nominee.

It is interesting that the favourite to be the next resident in the White house is a woman, the second favourite is a Catholic (Marco Rubio) and the third favorite is a Jew (Sanders). Following on from O'Bama it would seem that (male) WASPs need not apply:rolleyes:

Purple ,

Whats wrong with a bit of Fundamentalism ?
We all know the world was created in 7 days , so lets agree with Mr Cruz (humour him).
We all know the Angry God of the Old Testament awaits our indiscretions..(a wee bit of fear keeps us in line)

I am taken with the view that our hearts say there is a God , but our heads say nonsense.

The big danger is letting any Fundamentalist believe you are a non believer.
Which reminds me , where,s me prayer mat ? or is that Islam ?

Do you know what Purple , you might be right.

Mr Trump will keep women in their place, Mexican rapists in Mexico, build a new Great Wall of Texas etc,

Sound like a pair of nut bags the both of them.

Have a nice day you all.

Purple ,

Whats wrong with a bit of Fundamentalism ?
We all know the world was created in 7 days , so lets agree with Mr Cruz (humour him).
We all know the Angry God of the Old Testament awaits our indiscretions..(a wee bit of fear keeps us in line)

I am taken with the view that our hearts say there is a God , but our heads say nonsense.

The big danger is letting any Fundamentalist believe you are a non believer.
Which reminds me , where,s me prayer mat ? or is that Islam ?

Do you know what Purple , you might be right.

Mr Trump will keep women in their place, Mexican rapists in Mexico, build a new Great Wall of Texas etc,

Sound like a pair of nut bags the both of them.

Have a nice day you all.
Religions; like a bag of "crazy sweets" which look different but all taste the same. Anachronistic nonsense from a time when the earth was flat and the sun rose out of the sea every morning and yet the profession of blind faith in 3000 year old tribal writings is a prerequisite to lead the most powerful country in the world. The men who wrote the US Constitution would be appalled.

I can still remember aged 14 when a Cristian Brother told me that we all have a God shaped hole in our lives.

The yearning for something more may be real enough, but that does not imply a God.

I think it's currently more likely for an openly gay person to be elected to US office than for a self-declared atheist.

Dear Purple , I see you still have heathinistic tendencies, so I think I will pray for you !
Dear cremeegg, , hmn ! 1 can,t remember 14 days ago much less 14 years , that Brother really got to you.(they were some hit)
Dear Seagull, Votes dear chap are what its about, the hopefuls if they thought it would get them elected would become Christian Gay Atheists with a penchant for knocking evolution .

ps, Surely the world is flat otherwise planes would end up in outer space.

I see The Donald is threatening to close Doonbeg Gold Club if he cannot build a rock armour wall to protect the course. I have no problem with that so long as he does not ask his supporters "and who will pay for the wall?"
Mexico wont and neither should Ireland (unless he threatens our families).

Trump is a friend of the Clintons, plays golf with Bill. The theory is that Trump is there to stymie the Republican chances and make Hillary a shoe in.

The more I see of Trump, the more I think you have this right. I can just imagine the conversation.

Bill: Hey Donald, why don't you run for the Republican nomination ?

Donald: But I'm a Democrat, what would I say to Republican voters.

Bill: How much imagination have you got. The crazier the better. They will love it.

As conspiracy theories go its not too implausible.

Maybe when Donald wins the Repunlican nomination he will say he was only joking, how could someone with no political experience be President, how could someone who says he wants to deport 11 million immigrants be President.

But maybe Donald is having too much fun to stop now.

, how could someone with no political experience be President, how could someone who says he wants to deport 11 million immigrants be President.

But maybe Donald is having too much fun to stop now.

People with no political experience have ended up President, Eisenhower is the classic case, even Obama was relatively inexperienced as was Truman

Also it's strange to see people on here being as biased and inflexible about Fundamentalists as the Fundamentalists are around anyone who doesn't share their beliefs. A plague on all your houses as they say, can we not all relax and live and let live!! :)

Given the visceral hatred many Republicans have around the Clintons and the baggage Hilary has, I'll be curious to see if the Republicans rally around Trump and if they don't, will it have an impact on other Senate/Congress races in November. There is a danger for the Republicans that their majorities could be eroded if they don't. There may also be an element of yes, he is a right wing racist lunatic, but he's our right wing racist lunatic. After all, look what happened in Tipp in the General Election when a candidate with "questions" about his tax affairs topped the poll.

As for Trump, I've no doubt if and when he get's elected, he will find it is a lot harder to do things then talk about them. Just wait until he tries to implement the logistics around rounding up 11m illegal immigrants and then dumping them across the border and then building a wall after realizing that he has deported the people he needs to build it. The danger with Trump is that he is unpredictable but the converse to that is that with "normal" politicians in place, the world is a dangerous place.

I see the contest for the Republican nomination has risen to a debate on the size of the Donald's manhood. Puts us to shame with our petty squabbles over water charges.:eek:

Back