trump for president good/bad for ireland

johnwilliams

was hoping to see the debate but neither rte or tv3 showed it. (so not sure of his politics)
would you vote for him?
if he became president how would it affect Ireland good/bad i.e. jobs and American multinationals based here etc. ?

Bad for Ireland in that this nut could cause serious mayhem/war around the globe

We could always try and drag up a tenth cousin somewhere for him. It worked with the present bluffer

I have a certain respect for Donal Trump as a business man and as a character. I mean he must be having the time of his life. Running for president is the adult version of skydiving, what an adrenaline rush.

However I have no respect for the US media who are taking him seriously as a politician, and if I believed that a significant portion of the US electorate would vote for him then I have no respect for them either. However I don't think he will attract any votes in a real election.

Should he win (the Americans have more intelligence than have that happen)
We have the O Donnell (trumps) here in Donegal.
We could also get the Gallagher (trumps) involved.
We could get the Teelin (trumps) to get him to Slieve League , since Slieve League is the highest cliffs in Ireland , we could have the Slippy (trumps) ensure he falls and falls .

In answer Mr Trump ain,t much good for other than Mr Trump and is a classic case of money buying vanity and usurping politics.

The last time a Clinton ran against a Bush a rich businessman (Ross Perot) ran as a third party candidate, splitting the Republican vote and getting the Clinton elected. Here's hoping...

It seems that Trump's chances of winning the Republican nomination are getting more serious by the week.

I love his healthcare policy, if elected he will repeal Obamacare (The Affordable Care Act) and replace it with "something terrific".

He is sure to get elected, this is the basic premise of religion (and look how attractive that has proved), I feel your pain, I express your anger, I promise you paradise. Something terrific indeed.

Last edited:
I've been watching the Republican debate on CNN. It struck me how polite they were in the way they all spoke to each other, even if the substance of some of the things they said was fairly strong.

It was interesting to see people who I have only read about in the past. Mike Huckabee a religious ultra conservative, comes across as a pleasant person. Ted Cruz looks at the camera and gives a trust-me leer, creepy. Ben Carson and Ciara Fiorina (?) are complete nut jobs.

Jeb Bush came across to me as a reasonable person, not well able to handle this type of debate, not unlike our own Enda.

I hate to admit it but Trump impressed me. On relations with Russia, he would talk to Putin, Fiorina would strengthen the 6th fleet. On taxation he believes in a progressive tax system, I don't think any of the others do. On Iran again his instinct is talk rather than bomb.

The over the top statements are designed to draw attention to himself, and the media go along with that fully, the underlying reality is a lot more nuanced than the initial appearance. As for the something terrific on health care, still waiting to hear more.

Creemeg,
I enjoy your posts on this.

Mr Trump ;
He would talk with Putin, (would you talk with a grizzly bear ?)
He believes in a {progressive tax system } preferably on those pesky latinos.
He will talk with Iran ,(then what)
He will do something {terrific} on health care. Methinks save it for the deserving rich.

I think Mr Trump is a one man Ponzi scheme , maybe I just don,t trust him ?

As the Americans say , have a nice day !

I think I have found the solution to the puzzle that is Donald Trump.

I have always thought there was something unlikely about Trump and his candidacy. Should we take him at face value as a reality TV star with extremist, almost cartoon character views, who would fundamentally change US politics.

Or is he a clever self publicist, who says what he thinks will get headlines, and whose personal views are better seen from his previous positions. A pro choice pro business democrat.

Well the truth is that he is in fact the Sinn Fein candidate for US President.:rolleyes:

[broken link removed]

Last edited:
Cremeegg,

Trump is {Sinn Fein Candidate for US President}
Maybe ?
1.Would Mr Adams (unlike a lot of US Republicans) and I presume Herr Trump ,know the difference in a Kalasnikov versus other rifles.ie Mr Adams was never in the IRA.
2. Mr Adams , like Mr Trump {hasn,t gone away you know}.I reckon Mr Trump will implode in 2016,(no I did not mean explode!)
3.. Mr Adams wants those pesky Brits out , Mr Trump wants pesky Latinos out.
4. Mr Adams and Mr Trump own several houses.
5. Mr Trump says he is going to do something special about health care, Mr Adams used same special USA healthcare ..

Are they clones ?

Have a nice day.

I always thought that the Donald would implode, I mean if Councillor Willie Power from Kilnascully ran for President lots of people might support him, Go on ya boy ya. But when it came to election time I don't think he would get many real votes.

Its hard to see how seriously his supporters take Trump, do they see him as a good joke that puts one up to the establishment, or do they actually respect him as a real candidate. I am beginning to think they do.

I am no longer so sure that he will implode. Americans don't do irony his candidacy is what it seems and lots of people support it. i think that Trump himself is better than that, but he is being carried along by the support he is getting.

As Hilary says he is now having a real impact on US opinion, toward Muslims at any rate. Its not funny any more.

It was thought the National Front would have done very well in France.
It turns out that when push came to shove , the sensible French electorate decided that National Fronts type of Nationalistic Jingoism was not for them so National Front ended up not doing well.

I believe the American people are voicing a dissatifaction with their political elite at a safe remove from any election by using Mr Trump as a sounding Bell.
With freedom to say anything enshrined in USA Constitution , people like Mr Trump can mouth away , but the American people are not stupid enough to really vote for him.

Mr Trump will not implode , real politics will ensure he fades into a quirky obscurity.

Watching the Republican debate last night, I think we saw an evolution in Trump.

Instead of sounding off like a true believer as he does when addressing at rallies of his supporters, he behaved more like a conventional politician taking care not to offend any of his opponents.

Gerry refers to "people like Trump", but just what kind of person is Trump. Taken at face value he is a loudmouth rightwing populist, but perhaps he is a shrewd observer with no political experience who saw an opportunity to gain publicity and support from a certain group, by mouthing off.

Now that he has established himself as credible in the polls he may try to establish himself with credible policies. It won't be easy, if he doesn't move forcefully toward more credible policy positions he will fail, if he moves too forcefully, he will alienate his existing supporters.

Fascinating. I can't wait to seed what happens next.

The longer this goes on the less we can dismiss the chances that this guy might actually be elected. There is now a very real chance that he could win the Republican nomination. Up until now I thought there was no way the American people would be so stupid as to vote for this arrogant, intolerant bully of a man but he's still going strong in the polls so clearly he's managing to fool enough of them.
cremeegg I don't think there can be much doubt about what kind of person Trump is. All throughout his career he has shown himself to be a bully who is completely intolerant of those who have a different opinion to his own and as for his views on things like the poor or the environment - let's just say he hasn't shown himself to really have a conscience in either regard!

cremeeg,

Stop worrying me please !

Mr Trump needs to stay as the xenophobic malevolent bully boy fascist that he espouses so loudly.
so please, I hope he doesn,t evolve into a nice (thug).
We have our own nice converted (thugs) to watch!.

Ceist Beag,
I still don,t see him making the Republican nomination, but what he can do is to change the mood music and his music is out of tune with what he says he aspires to ,namely a strong outward facing USA.

Still reckon he will go the way of Palin , I just hope he doesn,t leave a bad smell behind.

How many moderate republicans would prefer to vote democrat than vote for Trump? Surely there aren't enough bigoted idiots there for him to actually win

Back